One of PVAMU's Oldest Graduates Dies

Storm96

Willie Mena Glass, among oldest living graduates of Prairie View A&M, dies at 107

Willie Mena Glass teared up when she viewed a relative's video of the Prairie View A&M University band performing at halftime Saturday in the university's new football stadium.

As one of the oldest living graduates of the historically black university northwest of Houston, Glass remained committed to Prairie View A&M over her lifetime by donating to the alumni association — even when she lived far from the campus, said Johnnie White, her grand-nephew.

Glass died Tuesday in Louisville, Ky., where she lived, White said. She was 107.

Born in Caldwell, she was one of eight children of Willie and Julia French Jones. She studied nursing at what was then called Prairie View State Normal & Industrial College, graduating in 1932, the university said in a post marking her 106th birthday last year.

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-d...na-Jones-Glass-beloved-alumna-of-12250761.php

920x920.jpg

Awwwww... I met her a few years back at a nat'l convention in Dallas. Truly a tremendous alum and human being. My condolences to her family.

My sympathies too go out to her family.

In 2004 I remember the then oldest grad, who was 105, at the national convention, which was at PV. She recited a poem by memory.

Man imagine what her eyes have seen over the years....I mean we take some things for granted but imagine only traveling on dirt roads, Jim Crow, Civil Rights changes, Grandparents and times parents that were former slaves.....MAN....that's the primary reason I love old people because listening to their life and what they have seen.

I pray PV's Band dedicates a field show to her. She deserves it!!!

Rest in Peace my good sister!!!

Back