One of Gramblings hot spots...

MACHIAVELLI

Chairman/C.E.O.
Demarcus Mitchell - InsideTexas.com's No. 76 state recruit - has signed with Grambling State out of Washington High School.

He follows a stunning list of top Houston-area signings for any Division I-AA school - including Westbury High's Mike Nichols and LaMarque High's Larry Kerlegan. All three were included on The Houston Chronicle's Top 100 prep prospects.

"We are looking four or five years down the road," said Spears, who had served as Grambling State's assistant head coach since 1998. "We've got some great players now. But this is an opportunity to secure something for the future."

Nichols was listed by SuperPrep as 90th out of the Top 100 prospects in the entire Big 12 region.

"The best place to go for someone like me is Grambling, from what I've seen on film and in the statistics," said Nichols, brushing aside Williams' celebrity as a deciding factor. "Passing is what they do. That was the reason."

That spark of new blood - much of it from Houston - has emboldened a program that took Williams' leaving hard.

"We," senior center Lance Wright said confidently, "are still Grambling."
http://www.thenewsstar.com/gramblin...0CB761D09.shtml

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Back