Old heads and current members

MVSUDiva

With looking at your program and comparing it to the past. Do you see any difference? It is kind of like saying was fun for the old heads is not fun for the current members.

Take for example, when I was in band if you was late for practice, I don't care if it was 1 second late, you had to run the pole or you had to do laps around the field (that was in 1993). Then, I did not think is was funny, but when I look at it now it is kind of funny running a pole until you get dizzy and fall out or walking around like you are drunk.

This is not for anyone to judge anyone else's program. NOr to say anything bad about the current program. But, I am just wondering.

Originally posted by MVSUDiva
With looking at your program and comparing it to the past. Do you see any difference? It is kind of like saying was fun for the old heads is not fun for the current members.

Take for example, when I was in band if you was late for practice, I don't care if it was 1 second late, you had to run the pole or you had to do laps around the field (that was in 1993). Then, I did not think is was funny, but when I look at it now it is kind of funny running a pole until you get dizzy and fall out or walking around like you are drunk.

This is not for anyone to judge anyone else's program. NOr to say anything bad about the current program. But, I am just wondering.

I'll be dog-gone if I do another 'Sonic Boom' push-up! :lol:

Been there, done that!! ;)

And Pops famous....64 up and 64 down! :bawling:

The things that I see different in the Boom, I'd rather keep to myself or keep it in the family.

I enjoyed my years in the band. I made life-long friends and learned a lot about discipline, showmanship and unity.

I learned how to sing (We Got the Best Band in the Land) and do jumping jacks at the same time. :D ... and I never could get those "Sonic Boom" push-ups just right. :lmao:

Oh I almost forgot. We also had to do step two and step threes. Those where the most painful exercises I have ever seen in my life.

Then, we had to stand at attention and don't move. You could even hit the mosquitos. That was miserable.:bawling:

It is totally different. Things change over time. Some for good and others aren't. So, things have changed for everyone. Nothing to be shame of crew. No, don't bash your band here. Just note some differences in approach if you can.

I don't think they still do this at SU (I haven't seen it when I've been there).

A CRAB (Freshman) was never late. They would be crazy to be late. It wasn't nice for them for weeks if they were. In fact, they better be there between 15 to 30 minutes before they were told. However, upperclassmen could be officially late either. It didn't matter if the Band Directors started practice or a leader (band captain, drum major, section leader or KKPsi), whoever came in late dropped to the floor to do push up until they were told to get up. Yet, while I was there, each year get slacked up more and more.

I don't know if this is still true or not either. If you messed up during a show, you can forget marching on the field again.

The night before our game or before we left town, after practicing, we would play every song we had - school songs, New Orleans tones, Marches, Blues, Jazz and the POP/R&B/Soul songs. Thus, we were ready for what is now called 5th Quarter - no matter how long it would take. That was like a party in the Band Room. It was sooooo hype! After that was over, the sections would take turns going through their fanfares. That was also live, because we had some live fanfares, especially in '85 and '86. I hear a number of the bands playing versions of them today. The only one I don't hear from SU or anyone is the Baritones version of "P-Funk". That was the bomb!!!

I'll stop with those.

Peace!!!

I truly understand what you're talking about. I mean it really hasn't been that long since I've been out, but there are so many things that are different.

it almost doesn't seem like home anymore... :(

though it is still where my heart is :)

well, like previously in the past, i'm not gonna air all the bidness. but i hope some of those changes make improvements.

GOOD LUCK WITH THAT.

Originally posted by ZNSPR8502
It is totally different. Things change over time. Some for good and others aren't. So, things have changed for everyone. Nothing to be shame of crew. No, don't bash your band here. Just note some differences in approach if you can.

I don't think they still do this at SU (I haven't seen it when I've been there).

A CRAB (Freshman) was never late. They would be crazy to be late. It wasn't nice for them for weeks if they were. In fact, they better be there between 15 to 30 minutes before they were told. However, upperclassmen could be officially late either. It didn't matter if the Band Directors started practice or a leader (band captain, drum major, section leader or KKPsi), whoever came in late dropped to the floor to do push up until they were told to get up. Yet, while I was there, each year get slacked up more and more.

I don't know if this is still true or not either. If you messed up during a show, you can forget marching on the field again.

The night before our game or before we left town, after practicing, we would play every song we had - school songs, New Orleans tones, Marches, Blues, Jazz and the POP/R&B/Soul songs. Thus, we were ready for what is now called 5th Quarter - no matter how long it would take. That was like a party in the Band Room. It was sooooo hype! After that was over, the sections would take turns going through their fanfares. That was also live, because we had some live fanfares, especially in '85 and '86. I hear a number of the bands playing versions of them today. The only one I don't hear from SU or anyone is the Baritones version of "P-Funk". That was the bomb!!!

I'll stop with those.

Peace!!!

Hey old school Juke....

I can't speak for the current version of the Human Jukebox, but '97 through '99 we still did push ups when we were late, both upperclassmen and crabs. Crabs did them until they were told to get up, and upperclassmen did them for about 1 minute. When that upperclassman piccolo messed up in '97(I think every Juke knows what I'm talking about) he wasn't taken off the field...he should've been. He apologized in front of the entire band, which I thought was a stand-up move.

I'll comment more later.

Back