Oklahoma, Texas have approached SEC about joining conference

Kendrick

Administrator
Staff member
Oklahoma and Texas could soon be leaving the Big 12 for the SEC, according to a Wednesday report from the Houston Chronicle.

Per Brent Zwerneman, the Chronicle's Texas A&M beat writer, OU and Texas "have both reached out to the SEC about potentially joining" the conference. Zwerneman didn't name sources in the report, but said he received the information from "a high-ranking college official with knowledges of the situation."

Zwerneman reports "an announcement could come within a couple of weeks," regarding the addition of the Sooners and Longhorns to a new 14-team SEC.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
that would be a horrible move if either of them ever want to be consistent winners. 16 teams.... only 1 can win. oh, they'll get paid handsomely and maybe that's all that matters. athletics is a business after all. in terms of winning though? I'm looking at bama state, who will be much improved but could finish as low as 5th in the east.

Don't think the SEC can say "N-O" to Texas. Texas ranks #2 in endowments, Harvard is #1. Oh, their fans travel.

Last edited:
I think before it’s all said and done there will be 4 mega conferences in the FBS with 14-16 teams in it. I blame the current playoff system because teams are basically saying … look… the SEC gets 2 teams in there most of the time, so moving and winning in those conferences gets them paid…, more media attention, and a better chance than other conferences to make the playoffs if they win? Yeah , conferences like the big 12 will dissolve soon…. Especially if they expand the playoffs.

that would be a horrible move if either of them ever want to be consistent winners. 16 teams.... only 1 can win. oh, they'll get paid handsomely and maybe that's all that matters. athletics is a business after all. in terms of winning though? I'm looking at bama state, who will be much improved but could finish as low as 5th in the east.

Even if they don't win the conference it doesn't mean they can't still get multiple teams into the playoffs. With a top 8 right now they'd still have 3 teams in.

When Nebraska left the Big 12, it was said that Texas and Notre Dame had the biggest athletic budgets. I think it is safe to say they still are at or near the top. Between Dallas-Ft. Worth and Minneapolis-St. Paul, the largest metro area is Kansas City.

Twitter trend

if this happen the SEC will probably move Bama and Auburn East. The eight left in the BigXII will probably raid the AAC to get 5 to 6 teams. The remainder in the AAC will probably go to the Sun Belt and/or CUSA.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
OU can't go anywhere without OkSt and Tamu will probably block UT from getting in. Also UT is gonna have to give up that cable channel if they want to go elsewhere within the P5.
There's nothing in state law that says OU can't leave OSU. That LHN is done.

There's nothing in state law that says OU can't leave OSU. That LHN is done.

True but remember back when those Texas schools left the SWC for the Big 8 to create the Big 12, the Governor was not gonna let it happen without Baylor being part of the deal.

Don't think the SEC can say "N-O" to Texas. Texas ranks #2 in endowments, Harvard is #1. Oh, their fans travel.
Happy Eddie Murphy GIF by Laff

Texas would have to give up their cable channel to join the SEC.

I agree about OU and OSU would have to go together, the state politicians will get involved.

Back