Okay, I was bored...I have the Bayou Classic/ESPN Game Day letter finished already!!

Antroy

I took parts out of both letters that were written, along with adding some small things that I felt would help. So, here it is. Now, where I have the "Sincerely...Members of the SWACPage Network Message Board" and the internet site, you can take it out and put your name on it or you can PM someone your real name and your screen name and they (or I) can put it on the letter and email it to ESPN. If I do it, I would have to have all names by 12 or 1 p.m. Friday (I'm leaving sometime after that heading to Jackson to get a fresh Tiger rug :D ). Without further adieu, here is what I came up with. I hope you all like it and make sure Nita checks behind me. I'm a good proof reader but I might have missed something.
------------------------------------------------------------------

To Whom It May Concern:

There's a war brewing! It?s a battle for honor, respect, pride and a championship. It?s a battle between two tradition rich and nationally ranked football teams. Witnessed by 70,000 loyal fans. This battle pits neighbor against neighbor, friend against friend, and brother against brother...AND THIS TIME ITS FOR ALL THE MARBLES!

As diehard college football fans who exhibit great fervor and enthusiasm 365 days a year for both Southern University and Grambling State University, we would like to request that the ESPN committee consider televising ESPN?s College Game Day live from the Bayou Classic at the Louisiana Superdome in New Orleans. As mentioned so eloquently via espn.com on the ?Vote for Best Rivalry? poll, this ?mini Mardi Gras? rivals the biggest party in the World, in addition to the Sugar and Super Bowls in terms of economic impact on the Crescent City.

This rivalry not only fuels some of the most heated feuds among each school's faithful, it also stands as the largest African American social event in the country with 70k fans attending the game and well over 200k in attendance for the weekend?s festivities. Hollywood celebrities are known to attend the Bayou Classic and cheer for these teams even though they have no sworn allegiance to either one.

The match up features arguably one college football?s most storied programs in the Grambling Tigers ? which features four former faces of the ?G-MEN? in Canton, OH as well as five in the College Football Hall of Fame ? including the living legend Eddie Robinson and his prot?g?, Super Bowl MVP and current Grambling coach Doug Williams. The mighty Jaguars of Southern University sport an equally proud tradition as College Football Hall of Famer A.W. Mumford began the Jaguars? legacy of excellence in athletics - from Hall of Famer Mel Blount to future Hall of Famer Aeneas Williams.

This year?s game not only marks the 30th anniversary of this Classic, it also serves as an elimination contest. The winner of the Bayou Classic earns the right to represent the Western Division of the Southwestern Athletic Conference (SWAC) in the SWAC Championship Game on December 13th in Birmingham, Alabama. The game will showcase two nationally ranked D-1AA football teams as well as two players in the hunt for "The Walter Payton Award" which is given to the nation?s top 1-AA performer. Grambling State quarterback Bruce Eugene and Southern University quarterback Quincy Richard (Ree-shard) are both candidates for this prestigious award.

Another dimension of the game is the battle between the Human Jukebox of Southern and the World Famed Grambling Tiger Marching Band. These bands put on a show at halftime that is as big as the football game itself. They keep fans in their seats during halftime instead of going to the restroom or to the concession stands.

The Bayou Classic stages all these showcases of the greatness of Southern and Grambling into one culminated event ? the mystical Saturday after Thanksgiving in New Orleans. Win/loss records are irrelevant and the passion of the alumni and supporters is second to none. This intensity has created one of the biggest games in college football as evidenced by the Bayou Classic reaching every home America via a live national broadcast on NBC.

To add additional intrigue to this event, this may be the last Bayou Classic that Super Bowl MVP Doug Williams coaches for his Alma Mater Grambling, as rumors swirl about a potential move to the SEC.

We feel that all of these are valid reasons why ESPN?s College Game Day should be shown live from the Superdome in New Orleans. This game transcends Black College Football. We feel that it is just as big as several Division 1-A rivalries, including Florida vs. Florida State, Georgia vs. Georgia Tech, Alabama vs. Auburn, and Ole Miss vs. Mississippi State.

Tradition, passion, rivalry, and excitement are all synonymous with The Bayou Classic. On November 29th, we feel that there will not be another game in the country that can match what will be happening in ?Naw?lin's!?

We encourage ESPN to consider and experience the pageantry of the Bayou Classic ? an event, in which fans travel to New Orleans from the ocean shores of the Pacific, Atlantic and abroad.

Sincerely,

Members of The SWACPage Network Message Board (http://www.swacpage.com/vbulletin/index.php)
----------------------------------------------------------------

Questions, comments, suggestions?

Re: Okay, I was bored...I have the Bayou Classic/ESPN Game Day letter finished alrea

Originally posted by Alcorn Warrior

To add additional intrigue to this event, this may be the last Bayou Classic that Super Bowl MVP Doug Williams coaches for his Alma Mater Grambling, as rumors swirl about a potential move to the SEC.

I would leave this comment out. I frequent most of the SEC boards and for the few schools that will be hiring new coaches after the season, Doug name is not mentioned, actually when it is, it's not in an endearing way. JMO. Otherwise great letter.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
First of all, NICE JOB!! I also agree with BG and GSUPE

I also think African American should be removed from this staement. Maybe it's just me but I hate when we limit ourselves to just Black everything. Maybe I'm being a hypocrite but I think ".... one of the largest social events....." sounds better. Maybe I've been working around white folks too long :lmao:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This rivalry not only fuels some of the most heated feuds among each school's faithful, it also stands as <b> the largest African American social event </b> in the country with 70k fans attending the game and well over 200k in attendance for the weekend?s festivities.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by BgJag
got to be the first time we ever agreed on anything.:D See you next week. Your boy'll be here this weekend.

I know. We are natural antagonists! :)

See ya next week on the best bank -- the westbank!

Re: Okay, I was bored...I have the Bayou Classic/ESPN Game Day letter finished alrea

I took parts out of both letters that were written, along with adding some small things that I felt would help. So, here it is. Now, where I have the "Sincerely...Members of the SWACPage Network Message Board" and the internet site, you can take it out and put your name on it or you can PM someone your real name and your screen name and they (or I) can put it on the letter and email it to ESPN. If I do it, I would have to have all names by 12 or 1 p.m. Friday (I'm leaving sometime after that heading to Jackson to get a fresh Tiger rug :D ). Without further adieu, here is what I came up with. I hope you all like it and make sure Nita checks behind me. I'm a good proof reader but I might have missed something.
------------------------------------------------------------------

To Whom It May Concern:

There's a war brewing! It?s a battle for honor, respect, pride and a championship. It?s a battle between two tradition rich and nationally ranked football teams. Witnessed by 70,000 loyal fans. This battle pits neighbor against neighbor, friend against friend, and brother against brother...AND THIS TIME ITS FOR ALL THE MARBLES!

As diehard college football fans who exhibit great fervor and enthusiasm 365 days a year for both Southern University and Grambling State University, we would like to request that the ESPN committee consider televising ESPN?s College Game Day live from the Bayou Classic at the Louisiana Superdome in New Orleans. As mentioned so eloquently via espn.com on the ?Vote for Best Rivalry? poll, this ?mini Mardi Gras? rivals the biggest party in the World, in addition to the Sugar and Super Bowls in terms of economic impact on the Crescent City.

This rivalry not only fuels some of the most heated feuds among each school's faithful, it also stands as the largest African American social event in the country with 70k fans attending the game and well over 200k in attendance for the weekend?s festivities. Hollywood celebrities are known to attend the Bayou Classic and cheer for these teams even though they have no sworn allegiance to either one.

The match up features arguably one college football?s most storied programs in the Grambling Tigers ? which features four former faces of the ?G-MEN? in Canton, OH as well as five in the College Football Hall of Fame ? including the living legend Eddie Robinson and his prot?g?, Super Bowl MVP and current Grambling coach Doug Williams. The mighty Jaguars of Southern University sport an equally proud tradition as College Football Hall of Famer A.W. Mumford began the Jaguars? legacy of excellence in athletics - from Hall of Famer Mel Blount to future Hall of Famer Aeneas Williams.

This year?s game not only marks the 30th anniversary of this Classic, it also serves as an elimination contest. The winner of the Bayou Classic earns the right to represent the Western Division of the Southwestern Athletic Conference (SWAC) in the SWAC Championship Game on December 13th in Birmingham, Alabama. The game will showcase two nationally ranked D-1AA football teams as well as two players in the hunt for "The Walter Payton Award" which is given to the nation?s top 1-AA performer. Grambling State quarterback Bruce Eugene and Southern University quarterback Quincy Richard (Ree-shard) are both candidates for this prestigious award.

Another dimension of the game is the battle between the Human Jukebox of Southern and the World Famed Grambling Tiger Marching Band. These bands put on a show at halftime that is as big as the football game itself. They keep fans in their seats during halftime instead of going to the restroom or to the concession stands.

The Bayou Classic stages all these showcases of the greatness of Southern and Grambling into one culminated event ? the mystical Saturday after Thanksgiving in New Orleans. Win/loss records are irrelevant and the passion of the alumni and supporters is second to none. This intensity has created one of the biggest games in college football as evidenced by the Bayou Classic reaching every home America via a live national broadcast on NBC.

We feel that all of these are valid reasons why ESPN?s College Game Day should be shown live from the Superdome in New Orleans. This game transcends Black College Football. We feel that it is just as big as several Division 1-A rivalries, including Florida vs. Florida State, Georgia vs. Georgia Tech, Alabama vs. Auburn, and Ole Miss vs. Mississippi State.

Tradition, passion, rivalry, and excitement are all synonymous with The Bayou Classic. On November 29th, we feel that there will not be another game in the country that can match what will be happening in ?Naw?lin's!?

We encourage ESPN to consider and experience the pageantry of the Bayou Classic ? an event, in which fans travel to New Orleans from the ocean shores of the Pacific, Atlantic and abroad.

Sincerely,

Members of The SWACPage Network Message Board (http://www.swacpage.com/vbulletin/index.php)
----------------------------------------------------------------

Questions, comments, suggestions?

Awesome Warrior. I think we need to send it over the net today though. The longer we wait, the greater the possibility that they plan for another location.

Good deal AW.

I'll cut and paste it to an email today. I'm taking out the section about Coach Williams and going to the SEC. Personally, I don't see him going as a head coach to the SEC any time soon.

Originally posted by cat daddy
Good deal AW.

I'll cut and paste it to an email today. I'm taking out the section about Coach Williams and going to the SEC. Personally, I don't see him going as a head coach to the SEC any time soon.

Actually, I was on the fence about the Doug Williams going to the SEC part. I didn't know if I wanted to add it or not.

I'm glad that you all like the letter. I wasn't sure how it was going to turn out.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Response from ESPN

I submitted my request and this a response I got back from ESPN
Hope this helps

Hi.

You've reached ESPN.

If you're writing to the ESPN television networks in the U.S. and have a
question that can't be answered by visiting our Frequently Asked
Questions area: http://espn.go.com/sitetools/s/help/espn-faq.html , you
should be hearing from us within a few days.

If your comment or question is about a different area of ESPN such as
the Magazine, Radio, International or ESPN.com, please visit this site
so your message can be re-directed:
http://espn.go.com/sitetools/s/contact/index.html

If you're looking for program scheduling for the ESPN television
networks, listings information can be found at:
http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tvlistings/index

We appreciate your feedback. You can rest assured that your comments
will be passed on to the people to whom they'd matter the most. Your
opinion will be reflected in our audience response report.

Thanks for taking the time to write and for visiting ESPN.com!

P.S. Would you like to continue to express your opinions about ESPN and
play a part in the programming decisions that get made? Come join the
ESPN Viewer Panel where you can take surveys, earn prizes, and have your
voice heard.

Please go to http://www.espnviewerzone.com to sign up. You must complete
the registration process to qualify.

Your opinion counts. Come join the exclusive ESPN Viewer Panel today!

Thanks!!

AWESOME. Didn't you say you've never been??? Well apparently you have been vicariously though all of us on TSPN that have.

I'm so proud of you. :tup: You alright with me.

Maybe that was Antroy who hasn't been. :lmao:

Excellent Letter!, AW. You did a wonderful job. I Think that letter needs to be emailed to any/everyone at ESPN. Let start the HYPE machine up! :D

JSTUS, all I did was take the two letter that Bluedog and DonTiger wrote and merged them into one letter. It was nothing that special. I still haven't been to a Bayou Classic. I might go this year, though.

Neither one of us (Antroy/Alcorn Warrior) have been to the Classic!! :lmao: :lmao:

Good job Alcorn Warrior!

We should make you and "Honorary" Southernite or Gramblingnite for the day of the Bayou Classic.:D

JSTUS, all I did was take the two letter that Bluedog and DonTiger wrote

Bluedog????? :confused:

I thought GSUperTiger wrote some and DonTiger wrote some.

I might go this year, though.

Neither one of us (Antroy/Alcorn Warrior) have been to the Classic!! :lmao: :lmao:

Maybe they'll both show up.:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Back