Okay all you techies......PV, P, doc, Sperm, ABE, etc.

Bengal E

A thought passed through my head that I should go wireless. How do I set up a wireless network at home. I have Bellsouth DSL. I have one computer hooked up to that. I have another computer and I'm considering purchasing a laptop. Then this weekend while looking (shopping) I saw a wireless router for XBox. Says with it you can play on any TV in the house.

Tell me what do I need to get started?? Remember explain this like a 6 yo cuz I ain't to brite in that computer stuff.

Bengal E said:
A thought passed through my head that I should go wireless. How do I set up a wireless network at home. I have Bellsouth DSL. I have one computer hooked up to that. I have another computer and I'm considering purchasing a laptop. Then this weekend while looking (shopping) I saw a wireless router for XBox. Says with it you can play on any TV in the house.

Tell me what do I need to get started?? Remember explain this like a 6 yo cuz I ain't to brite in that computer stuff.

Quite simply you require a router and a wireless card installed in your computer. You hook the router up to the source of the internet. Next, you install your card in your computer. The two should recognize each other and you are off!

The process is rather simple, and the instructions contained with the router should give you the specifics for that particular device.

I am not familiar with XBox or the router device associated wit it.

Abe got it.

I would go one further. Linksys offers a download that configs your wireless router for you. I would download that utility, run it on the workstation that is physically connected to the router, and allow it to configure all your router's settings. That way the only thing you have to plug your workstations into the network connections and go.

docmump said:
Abe got it.

I would go one further. Linksys offers a download that configs your wireless router for you. I would download that utility, run it on the workstation that is physically connected to the router, and allow it to configure all your router's settings. That way the only thing you have to plug your workstations into the network connections and go.

That's how I set up mine.

Yeah, just get the router and anything that you would like to connect to it wirelessly. I have a router on my system and I run 2 computers connected directly to it, 2 laptops wirelessly, a desktop computer upstairs with a wireless card and a playstation 2 connected wirelessly.

Venom Skywalker said:
If I can add my two cents, I wouldnt run my gaming system wirelessly.

The only thing I run wirelessly are the laptops (2) and my pocketPC. Everything else is connected to a wire (2 desktops, XBox, and ReplayTV - Tivo). If I work from home, I connect my company laptop up via wire.

Venom Skywalker said:
If I can add my two cents, I wouldnt run my gaming system wirelessly.

Why?

It's not slow and runs just like you're connected directly up.
I'm not running any wires upstairs for the kids to use their PS2 online.

With the fastest speeds only being 54mbps when you're connected wirelessly, you have a greater potential for lag. I've also noticed a lot on my network and others the wireless connection will drop and reset for no reason.

Back