Ocean Seriously lol

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
All i know is World famed an Human jukebox has a busy upcoming weekend for bayou in a few weeks both doing HALftime then botb theb game thats alot of prep and two shows plus pre game stuff then parade gosh

All i know is World famed an Human jukebox has a busy upcoming weekend for bayou in a few weeks both doing HALftime then botb theb game thats alot of prep and two shows plus pre game stuff then parade gosh
The Juke use to it, they do it every year.

Yes, PV is the FAMU version of the SWAC, uniform and all lol. Not saying PV is not a great band because they are but PV just tweaked FAMU's style. Nothing wrong with it.

Your post read as if everyone is a knock off of those bands you named. That's what I responded to because PV is nothing like them. Personally I put grambling, famu and maybe Tennessee state as the originals

Yes, PV is the FAMU version of the SWAC, uniform and all lol. Not saying PV is not a great band because they are but PV just tweaked FAMU's style. Nothing wrong with it.
I betcha nobody copies those second rate bands nowadays. Grambling ain't been in the top five in ten years.
All I know is The BOOM is head and shoulders above all those bands yall claim we stole from. Quit whining and get yall's directors to step their game up.

Your post read as if everyone is a knock off of those bands you named. That's what I responded to because PV is nothing like them. Personally I put grambling, famu and maybe Tennessee state as the originals
He didn't know what the heck he was talking about. The BOOM has it's own original SHOWBAND style.
Dude picked out one or two skits we do and used that lie to claim that The BOOM stole it's whole style and showmanship from those bands, which is totally untrue.
The BOOM has it's own unique style that no other band has in the nation.

He didn't know what the heck he was talking about. The BOOM has it's own original SHOWBAND style.
Dude picked out one or two skits we do and used that lie to claim that The BOOM stole it's whole style and showmanship from those bands, which is totally untrue.

Skits? No one said anything about skits. JSU does a piece of GSU weekly, that is not smack, that is fact and really JSU needs our Rocks Da House, glad we did something yall envied lol. You/re adding stuff but the Sonic Boom sounds nothing like they used to sound pre 99, that is a fact. JSU sounds hella good and i actually like them and you can talk about Grambling until you are blue in the face, my marching days are over, i have my SWAC marching band hours do you? lol

Last edited:

LMAO! Man you funny. Still trying to figure out what is so unique about the Boom these days.

Man you sounding like 45.

Skits? No one said anything about skits. JSU does a piece of GSU weekly, that is not smack, that is fact and really JSU needs our Rocks Da House, glad we did something yall envied lol. You/re adding stuff but the Sonic Boom sounds nothing like they used to sound pre 99, that is a fact. JSU sounds hella good and i actually like them and you can talk about Grambling until you are blue in the face, my marching days are over, i have my SWAC marching band hours do you? lol

You shole right Frat. That's the only time their crowd gets hyped is when they play that at halftime. LMAO. Damn shame how they took that from Gram.

And you right about the Boom sound too. They been trying to out blow SU for decades now. The Boom I faced had their own sound. Certainly the Boom I grew up on under Haughton was totally different.

Skits? No one said anything about skits. JSU does a piece of GSU weekly, that is not smack, that is fact and really JSU needs or Rocks Da House, glad we did something yall envied lol. You adding stuff but the Sonic Boom sounds nothing like they used to sound pre 99, that is a fact. JSU sounds hella good and i actually like them and you can talk about Grambling until you are blue in the face, my marching days are over, i have my SWAC marching band hours do you? lol
You shole right Frat. That's the only time their crowd gets hyped is when they play that at halftime. LMAO. Damn shame how they took that from Gram.

And you right about the Boom sound too. They been trying to out blow SU for decades now. The Boom I faced had their own sound. Certainly the Boom I grew up on under Haughton was totally different.

7D30D969-C3A6-4A1F-A8C6-E02707D61C5F.jpeg

So Taylor's trying to copy southern's sound? Really??!! Hahahaha!!!
They don't call us The Sonic BOOM for nothing.
Besides, southern has way more treble in their sound than balance. Their bass sounds like they're beating on tin cans.
The BOOM has excellence regardless of the era. Nobody even thinks about the Grambling band anymore and you know it.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Besides, southern has way more treble in their sound than balance. Their bass sounds like they're beating on tin cans.
The BOOM has excellence regardless of the era. Nobody even thinks about the Grambling band anymore and you know it.

William W. Davis created the "Big Band sound" at JSU, influenced by Cab Calloway’s big band sound! Davis stole from no band, Greggs copied Davis. JSU's sound may have changed from 1991 to 1999, that's because Dowell Taylor stepped down as Band Director and the band budget deceased. In the 2000's JSU's band's budget increased and the band increased to about 300 members. That increase in band instruments just didn't include brass instruments. Don't believe the hype! *sheesh*

Just because you marched, it gives you authority on nothing. You critique College and NFL football, but you never played a down of College or NFL football, get my drift? *sheesh*

In 1948, William W. Davis of Ironton, Ohio, former arranger for Cab Calloway’s legendary big band became Jackson State University’s first full-time band director. Davis was born in Ironton, Ohio on January 14, 1922. His early childhood was spent in Ironton where he received his elementary and secondary education. He earned the Bachelor of Science degree in Music Education from Alabama State University in 1948 and was awarded the Masters of Arts degree in Instrumental Pedagogy from the Ohio State University in 1955.

In 1943 he was inducted into the United States Army, Infantry Division, where he served until 1946. During his tour of duty in the United States Army, he played solo trumpet in the 164th and 372nd Army Bands. He also played with an Army band that toured the United States on a bond drive and later played with a traveling Army band in the Pacific Theater of Operations playing for dances and USO shows.

Also, before coming to Jackson State University, Mr. Davis participated in several other organizations, culminating these experiences by playing trumpet in Cab Calloway’s orchestra. Davis’s marching band concept was greatly influenced by Cab Calloway’s big band sound and showmanship. Cab Calloway’s influence is still present today in the sound and show designs of the Jackson State University Marching Band.

For twenty-three years, from 1948-1971, Mr. Davis, the man affectionately known as “Prof” and “Maestro” was the headband master, Director of the Marching Band, Symphonic Wind Ensemble, and the coordinator of the instrumental division. For an additional 10 years, until his death on October 3, 1981, for a total of 33 years, he continued to serve as conductor of Jackson State University’s Wind Ensemble and chief arranger for the Jackson State University Marching Band, “The Sonic Boom of the South.” He taught applied trumpet and french horn, instrumental conducting, brasswind classes, instrumental arranging and music theory. He is best remembered as a master conductor and an inimitable arranger.

Bandmaster Chronology]Bandmaster Chronology- A Brief History and Chronology of the “Sonic Boom.”

Last edited:
William W. Davis created the "Big Band sound" influenced by Cab Calloway’s big band sound. Davis stole from no band, Greggs copied Davis. JSU's sound have changed from 1991 to 1999, that's because Dowell Taylor stepped down as Band Director and the band budget deceased. In the 2000's JSU's band budget and the band size increased to about 300. That increase in band instruments just didn't include brass instruments. Don't believe the hype! *sheesh*

Just because you marched, it gives you authority on nothing. You critique College and NFL football, but you never played a down of College of NFL football, get my drift? *sheesh*

In 1948, William W. Davis of Ironton, Ohio, former arranger for Cab Calloway’s legendary big band became Jackson State University’s first full-time band director. Davis was born in Ironton, Ohio on January 14, 1922. His early childhood was spent in Ironton where he received his elementary and secondary education. He earned the Bachelor of Science degree in Music Education from Alabama State University in 1948 and was awarded the Masters of Arts degree in Instrumental Pedagogy from the Ohio State University in 1955.

In 1943 he was inducted into the United States Army, Infantry Division, where he served until 1946. During his tour of duty in the United States Army, he played solo trumpet in the 164th and 372nd Army Bands. He also played with an Army band that toured the United States on a bond drive and later played with a traveling Army band in the Pacific Theater of Operations playing for dances and USO shows.

Also, before coming to Jackson State University, Mr. Davis participated in several other organizations, culminating these experiences by playing trumpet in Cab Calloway’s orchestra. Davis’s marching band concept was greatly influenced by Cab Calloway’s big band sound and showmanship. Cab Calloway’s influence is still present today in the sound and show designs of the Jackson State University Marching Band.

Bandmaster Chronology]Bandmaster Chronology- A Brief History and Chronology of the “Sonic Boom.”

And y’all threw all of that out of the window. What a shame!!

Why you think Taylor hired Paul Adams. Lol

Look at Taylor’s field show in Fall 84 and then afterwards. You have no clue bruh.

William W. Davis created the "Big Band sound" at JSU, influenced by Cab Calloway’s big band sound! Davis stole from no band, Greggs copied Davis. JSU's sound have changed from 1991 to 1999, that's because Dowell Taylor stepped down as Band Director and the band budget deceased. In the 2000's JSU's band's budget increase and the band increased to about 300 members. That increase in band instruments just didn't include brass instruments. Don't believe the hype! *sheesh*

Just because you marched, it gives you authority on nothing. You critique College and NFL football, but you never played a down of College or NFL football, get my drift? *sheesh*

For twenty-three years, from 1948-1971, Mr. Davis, the man affectionately known as “Prof” and “Maestro” was the headband master, Director of the Marching Band, Symphonic Wind Ensemble, and the coordinator of the instrumental division. For an additional 10 years, until his death on October 3, 1981, for a total of 33 years, he continued to serve as conductor of Jackson State University’s Wind Ensemble and chief arranger for the Jackson State University Marching Band, “The Sonic Boom of the South.” He taught applied trumpet and french horn, instrumental conducting, brasswind classes, instrumental arranging and music theory. He is best remembered as a master conductor and an inimitable arranger.

Greggs copied SIVAD? Lmao!!!!!!!

SU style and sound was nothing like JSU and vice versa. SU has never went with that Big Band sound.

William W. Davis created the "Big Band sound" at JSU, influenced by Cab Calloway’s big band sound! Davis stole from no band, Greggs copied Davis. JSU's sound have changed from 1991 to 1999, that's because Dowell Taylor stepped down as Band Director and the band budget deceased. In the 2000's JSU's band's budget increase and the band increased to about 300 members. That increase in band instruments just didn't include brass instruments. Don't believe the hype! *sheesh*

Nothing else needs to be said about JSU copying any band because NO band in the SWAC puts on a show like The BOOM!!
Some of you Greggs people, take note that HE copied too, just like every other band director, Black or white. Case closed!!

Back