Obama Cuts HBCU Funding

Morris Brown is not a public school, plus they lost their accreditation.

Regardless of alumno giving or lack thereof, I think this is a bad decision by Obama.

Yea I know but im saying most people equating this to what he should do for the Black community....so I used them as an example.

I'm saying the same people who complain about how certain schools use the money are the same ones mad that Obama didn't give those schools even more money.

Do I support our HBCUs and want to see them strive? Yes. But as president I can't see how its bad decision in the overall scheme of our country.

the proposed increase in the maximum Pell Grant for low-income students by $200 — to $5,550.

This would only take 35,000 students across 100+ HBCUs to make up the $73 mil.
He decreased something we would have to pay back with interest.
He increased something we would not have to pay back.

Last edited:

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
I'm saying the same people who complain about how certain schools use the money are the same ones mad that Obama didn't give those schools even more money.

It also can be said that if this had happened under the previous administration, the same people ok with it now would be outraged.

This would only take 35,000 students across 100+ HBCUs to make up the $73 mil.

Thats operating under the assumption that those who are eligible for Pell grants would actually use them at an HBCU instead of another university. Not everyone at HBCUs or for that matter, any university can get a Pell Grant anyway...so I don't see how this can make up for it.

We have thousand of kids that have Pell grants currently at all HBCUs. Far more than 35,000... So, the difference will be made up just with those currently enrolled. This would only require ~350 students with a Pell grant per HBCU (~100 HBCUs).

Last edited:
We have thousand of kids that have Pell grants currently at all HBCUs. Far more than 35,000... So, the difference will be made up just with those currently enrolled. This would only require ~350 students with a Pell grant per HBCU (~100 HBCUs).

Where are you getting the 35,000 figure from?

Sorry... I was using numbers from something else I was doing. I will have to recalculate.

Well it states this in the NY times:

HBCUs have about 132,000 students receiving Pell grants, according to an Associated Press analysis of federal figures collected by the nonprofit group The Education Trust. Even if all got the maximum $200 Pell Grant increase, that would provide HBCUs new revenue totaling only about one-third of the funding cut outlined in the budget.

Obama wasn't elected to just serve African Americans and all our causes or issues. If we think he was, then folks going to be disappointed.

I agree. If he would've run as the "Black" president, he'd still be a senator in Illinois, and Hillary Clinton would be our president.

Well it states this in the NY times:

HBCUs have about 132,000 students receiving Pell grants, according to an Associated Press analysis of federal figures collected by the nonprofit group The Education Trust. Even if all got the maximum $200 Pell Grant increase, that would provide HBCUs new revenue totaling only about one-third of the funding cut outlined in the budget.
I stand corrected.

I wonder do these numbers also take into account the additional Pell Grant funding for summer school which didn't exist in the past. That would not make up the entire difference noted above though.

While I supported Obama during the campaign, I will not blindly support his every move (namely his stance on these damn illegal aliens and cutting HBCU funding). I don't want to jump to conclusions, but I definitely would like to see the justification for this:

A program supporting Native American tribal colleges would also see decreased funding, while one for institutions serving large numbers of Hispanic students would see an increase from $93 million to $98 million.

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2009/05/10/us/AP-US-Budget-Black-Colleges.html?_r=2

:clap: I hope PVers can now see why the A&M System schools tried direly to augment their Hispanic populations across the board. :read:

And to answer someone's question from earlier, yes, Mr Bush did increase fed funding for HBCUs during his administration period. :read: But we "hate" republicans. If it weren't for republicans black and white, there would be NO PVAM or aTm. :read:

I agree that the Bank bailout was too high...but let's remember that this was done to Stimulate the economy and to keep the Banks viable. A lot of these same Banks provide low-cost student loans to students of HBCU's and other colleges.

Please understand... I don't like the cuts nor do I agree with the Amount of money poured into the banking industry. However, I can understand the urgency of getting money into the Banking system as that immediately impacts the economy and the education system.

What's your response to the billions Acorn received?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if banks can create wealth, then they can erase debt. Why didn't we suggest they get rid of what they created? Is it too hard for congress to create our own money system whereby we don't have to depend on "International" Bankers?

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Hell we cut our own funding by not giving back.......

True. Because I know some folks who would gladly give back their HBCU degree to get one from a PWC because of how badly they were treated at HBCU in terms of teachers, financial aid and so on.

What kills so many of our schools is imagine and location. I know the days of Paul Quinn are numbered the moment North Texas Univeristy open a campus right down the street, the city redesigned the entire road and exit street that leads to the school and put a bus line next to it. Paul Quinn's debt troubles started back up once that school opened.:shame:

while one for institutions serving large numbers of Hispanic students would see an increase from $93 million to $98 million.

That's because in some states and cities, Hispanics are the ones packing the colleges. Especially the community colleges. They will take advantage of a free education (sometimes later on in life) and folks will invest in them over us.

I hate to say it but until we start getting our act together, Hispanics are going to leave us behind in the dust.

HBCU want to save cash?

Be more selective in who you accept-just because a kid has a check in hand doesn't mean a school should take them. I've seen too many DISD kids leave for PV, Texas Southern, Grambling, Jackson State and others in the fall and come back home for good after PV vs Grambling because they got kicked out or found out that earning a grade meant more than going to class and sitting down and doing nothing.

What's your response to the billions Acorn received?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if banks can create wealth, then they can erase debt. Why didn't we suggest they get rid of what they created? Is it too hard for congress to create our own money system whereby we don't have to depend on "International" Bankers?

Too much...

None at all.. But my reason for answering was to show that unlike those staunch right wingers, I don't agree with things simply because it's "our policy".

Unlike RB who defends torture because Rush does, I'm a free thinker.

MB do you know of any proof of money going to Acorn other than the usual right wing loon propanganda?

The Acorn money trail 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwCvd0qKEeA

The Acorn money trail 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOKH_QGdomQ&feature=related

ACORN to Get Stimulus Money(25 second mark)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oy3ZT4zBMIw&feature=PlayList&p=6891CD20F65C9E66&index=0&playnext=1

Witness to ACORN Crimes Speaks Out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkSHizuwZB8&feature=related

No, I defend torture because of military training. In fact, our Navy SEAL program is about real torture. That BS in GITMO was not real torture. If you want to see real torture, then take a look below......

SEALs BUD/s Training, 1 of 4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DeSyl1CGIQ

SEALs BUD/s Training, 2 of 4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KZuA7o1NIY&NR=1

SEALs BUD/s Training, 3 of 4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zK56q4gZCSE&feature=channel

SEALs BUD/s Training, 4 of 4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIegZ1nWWQ4&feature=channel

None at all.. But my reason for answering was to show that unlike those staunch right wingers, I don't agree with things simply because it's "our policy".

Thanks I didn't think so, but just wanted to confirm that I didn't miss anything after reading through it.

:clap: I hope PVers can now see why the A&M System schools tried direly to augment their Hispanic populations across the board. :read:

And to answer someone's question from earlier, yes, Mr Bush did increase fed funding for HBCUs during his administration period. :read: But we "hate" republicans. If it weren't for republicans black and white, there would be NO PVAM or aTm. :read:

Ok I missed this one. When did this miracle of salvation happen again? I wasn't ever aware that PV was on life support.

I believe we as black people need to stop being timid and passive period.. Instead, we need begin putting pressure Obama adminstration when it comes to our issuses.. Especially, when it comes to educating black people and saving our hbcu's...

RB: You were quiet when your friend Dubya was spending our national treasury and give tax breaks to his cronies on wall street.. It was the Grand Ole Party and ideas of supply-side economics that got us in this finanical crisis...

RB: You were quiet when your friend Dubya was spending our national treasury and give tax breaks to his cronies on wall street.. It was the Grand Ole Party and ideas of supply-side economics that got us in this finanical crisis...

If you've ever seen the tax books of a successful company, then you would understand why tax breaks should be given to companies. Severely taxing companies limit the companies potential to grow. Not all companies are Corporations, and in my line of work, all forms of businesses get in trouble with the service. The more money companies have, the more they can hire and expand their company. Poor people don't give out jobs, rich people do.

The federal government is the biggest crook/thief in America.

Back