O’Neill Sanford becomes JSU’s new Director of Bands!

BG

Sanford does forward march to become JSU’s new director of bands
Meyers_Band1-1024x682.jpg

Hailed nationally as the dean of bands for Historically Black Colleges and Universities, visiting assistant professor and recruiter O’Neill Sanford was elevated Wednesday from the role of interim to director of bands at Jackson State University in a ceremony that stunned the veteran music educator with experience spanning a half-century.

The well-kept secret promotion – unknown to most, and even Sanford – was met with excitement from faculty and staffers about a music program with perennial success.

In recognizing Sanford, President Carolyn W. Meyers said, “I’m so delighted. I love music. … Your being here is Providence. … This is about getting the best talent in front of our students. … (Sanford) is the dean of HBCU bands. I look at you as a special blessing. … It’s just plain destiny and good fortune to have you here.”

Meanwhile, Sanford said, “I’m shocked. One thing I said to the staff when I was appointed as the interim director of bands was that I needed to know everything that’s going on with this band program and to keep me informed. If you don’t, I’m going to write you up,” he said as the crowd roared in laughter. “I feel honored. This is so unnecessary. … But it’s an honor. I have a great feeling for people who show such appreciation,” he said.

Even Sanford’s wife hid the secret from him, said Dr. David O. Akombo, interim chair of the department of music. Akombo said the selection is “confirmation of the good works (Sanford) has done over the years.”

The music virtuoso said, “For whatever reason God brought me to Jackson State, I’m committed. We’re grateful to have such a great staff,” said Sanford, who succeeds the recently retired Dowell Taylor. Now, Sanford is pressing forward by building on past successes. He cited the band’s expansion to 349 members and an upcoming new fight song that he wrote for the university. “We’ve developed a monster here,” he said.

Dr. Mario Azevedo, dean of the College of Liberal Arts described Sanford as “a really good man” and transformative figure. “We appreciate your work and hope that you will continue doing what you’ve been doing.”

Entire article

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
WTF? Sanford may be a SU alum. But I don't think he is right for JSU's program. But he has a relationship with Meyers. So I guess that will benefit the band some what.
He's definitely not the right person! Good man but not the one the boom needs!

I read it as he is the director of bands.... but the other dude is director of marching band.

I told ya'll to write Meyers and tell her not to do it.. but noooooooooooooooooooooo ya'll sat on your azz! Oh well. What's done is done. Let's prepare for years of suckdom! ...but we still gonna be the top band in the SWAC...just not JSU good!

I told ya'll to write Meyers and tell her not to do it.. but noooooooooooooooooooooo ya'll sat on your azz! Oh well. What's done is done. Let's prepare for years of suckdom! ...but we still gonna be the top band in the SWAC...just not JSU good!

TP, I thought she taking your calls now? Now you know she does answer Kenn Rashad's calls. LOL. Maybe you need to ask him to help yall out with her.

TP, I thought she taking your calls now? Now you know she does answer Kenn Rashad's calls. LOL. Maybe you need to ask him to help yall out with her.

I talk to the QUEEN... it was TFO who wouldn't talk to me... even if I emailed her about giving money... lol

BUT, I ain't calling her about the band.

Both Sanford and Meyers had tarnished resumes at Norfolk State! They should be cellmates.
news-n-coffee.gif

Myers lying azz said she didn't even know he was coming to JSU. She said dowell Taylor wanted sandford. Myers taking care of all her people: sandford, fuller, wheeler brown. Sandford is going to ruin littles name at JSU.myers doesn't like the jsettes and she knows sandford would support her efforts to get a flag team instead.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Yeah he has a great resume.

I disagree. Sanford wouldn't rank in the TOP TEN, if you rank the best HBCU Band Directors of all time, be for real, the guy is a weasel and Myers is a snake in the grass. Like Bernie Sanders, Sanford is nothing but HYPE, No God given talent. Have you seen Sanford trying to conduct the band? One word, awful!

Last edited:
I disagree. Sanford wouldn't rank in the TOP TEN, if you rank the best HBCU Band Directors of all time, be for real, the guy is a weasel and Myers is a snake in the grass. Like Bernie Sanders, Sanford is nothing but HYPE, No God given talent. Have you seen Sanford trying to conduct the band? One word, awful!
I kind of agree with you. When I was reading his bio and they mention him being one of the best in hbcu. I was like he didn't do much at Norfolk. I mean come on now, I have never heard of him before now. He's not what I was hoping for with this new boom. If last years feild shows were a glimpse of what's to come under him them the boom will hit rock bottom. Only band members judge stand performance but the average joe as in the non band spectator goes off the feild show and we just didn't do shit entertaining last year. It might be time for Myers to move on. She's hiring some of the worst people from Vivian fuller, wheeler brown and now sandford. Wtf. She messing the boom big time,Giving us this wack azz director and want even allow JSU to go back to the red in football. I understand getting rid of the bad traditions but Dnt get rid of the good one to. With all do respect this is my opinion.

The real question is why is she hiring a SU alumni to lead the band instead of promoting little? I seriously wouldn't be suprised if we lose little in the future. He was groomed by d. Taylor and they continue to fuck this man over. Alumni is going to lose its shit over this one just wait on it. All I know is Sanford better stay as far away from field shows and let little control that. Let me see a flag line at jsu instead of the settes... I'll raise all hell on Myers.

The real question is why is she hiring a SU alumni to lead the band instead of promoting little? I seriously wouldn't be suprised if we lose little in the future. He was groomed by d. Taylor and they continue to fuck this man over. Alumni is going to lose its shit over this one just wait on it. All I know is Sanford better stay as far away from field shows and let little control that. Let me see a flag line at jsu instead of the settes... I'll raise all hell on Myers.
Sometimes i question her leadership and decision making. She tries to do too damn much and it always backfires! What the hell we need with a director of bands that's almost 70 years old? He had his time so he needs to get the hell on and let these young cats do their thing. I'm tired of both of them!

Dr. Meyers knew who she wanted as Director of Bands once Sanford arrived in Jackson. Sanford was a snitch for Meyers, that's why Dr. Meyers wanted Dowell Taylor gone, so she could slide her "old boy" right into the Director of Bands position.

Dr. Michael Magruder would have been a perfect fit for Director of Bands, but I doubt if he would have returned to Jackson State to work under that "wicked witch" (Dr. Meyers).

Unlike Alcorn alumni, Jackson State alumni are weak, they haven't protested anything Myers has done, they just "Grind, bear it and praise her". The majority of Jackson State alumni will go along with WRONG just to fit in somewhere!:(

Last edited:
JR is right, he has a great resume and a long one and not necessarily in the HBCU world Dude has accomplished a lot, no denying that. That doesn't mean he's a good fit though.

Back