North Carolina A&t 2002 Football Schedule

MACHIAVELLI

Chairman/C.E.O.
8/31.....NORTH CAROLINA CENTRAL
9/7.......JACKSON STATE
9/14.....PORTLAND ST. (VAN PORT CLASSIC II)
9/21.....OPEN............OPEN..............OPEN
9/28.....ELON
10/5.....NORFOLK STATE
10/12....MORGAN STATE
10/19... at FAMU
10/26....at HOWARD
11/2......BCC
11/9.....at HAMPTON
11/16....OPEN...............OPEN...........OPEN
11/23....SOUTH CAROLINA ST.

Even though we will field the most talented team in 1-AA football in 2002, this may or may not be a rebuilding year. The only wins I am already pencilling in are against NCCU, JSU, Elon, FAMU, Morgan, NSU and Howard. The rest are up in the air.

This team only returns eight seniors, so we will probably have one of the youngest teams in the country. We return our whole secondary but we lose three starting linebackers. However, we used a 8 man rotation at linebacker all year so they shouldn't be too much of a problem to replace. Plus, we have a first team all state defensive end projected to come in and compete for a starting linebacker position this Fall. From what I've heard, he's the real deal.

On offense this year, we have the most talented group of QBs ever assembled at A&T. Jason Douglas, the top rated JUCO Qb in the state of California, is projected to start but he will have to beat out Marshall Glenn, who was rated the number one senior quarterback in the state of NC last year. Glenn was a second team all -stater and first runner up for the prestigous 4-A Mr. Football award. Hayes called Glenn a "can't miss prospect." We also managed to sign the fourth highest rated QB in NC, Buddy Fuller, but I think he might redshirt if Douglas starts. Then we even have our 2000 starter, Keith Matkins, coming back, after sitting out last due to academic inegibilty.

At the receiver positon, we return Jamal Jones, a transfer from UNC who led this group in receptions last year. We also have a first team all state receiver (Doug Brown) and a first team all-state receiver from last year (Brad Hinton) coming in. Hinton reshirted last year, but both he and Brown are expected to compete for starting jobs in 2002. Then we have about three or four more solid guys from last year who will round off this group.

At running back, we return both the guys who took over for Mo Hicks last year. Hollingsworth, a sophomore transfer from CLemson, rushed for 87 yards and a 35 yard TD against JSu last year. He also broke a 45 yeard TD run in backup duty against FAMU. Gary, the lone senior, started the last two games of the season after Hollingsworth got hurt against Hampton. Both are lightening quick but a tad bit undersized.

This offseason we brought in the top running back class in 1-AA football. We signed Jeff Marshmon, who was rated by rivals as the third best back in the state and the 63rd best back in the nation. We also signed Nigel Blue, Frank Patterson, Jermaine Thompson, LJ Hill, and Sharod Wallace. All were ranked among the top backs in the state by I assume only Marsmon, Patterson and Blue will be given a chance for playing time. Patterson, a high school track star, has been clocked at a 4.4 in pads ,and Blue runs a legit 4.3. The rest, I think, will redshirt.

I would say the main factor that will decide this season is how effectively Hayes can mesh his young talent. If only half of these guys live up to their billing we should be unbeatable.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot to mention that we also have the most exciting kick returner in the history of college football coming back.

Curtis Deloatch led the entire nation in punt return average last year and set an all-time single season NCAA record for punts returned for touchdowns.

He was voted first team all-amercian for his efforts. In the last five games of the season he returned an amazing 4 punts for touchdowns, including a 78 yarder against JSU in the dome. He had two touchdown returns in the season finale against Del State.

You can not stop him, you can not even hope to contain him.

He is the best kick returner there is, was, or ever will be.

Back