Nominations for SWAC .....

Two for each side of the ball

FATBOY and Tramon Douglas on offense

Kenneth Pettway and Lenny Williams on defense

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Could somebody please tell me why All-SWAC is picked before the biggest, make that the only, game in the conference?

Time for my kicking ratings again.....

Kickers
1. Anthony Johnson, ALST (88.6 % points scored)
2. Breck Ackley, SU (84.3)
3. David McConnell, ALC (81.9)

Kickoffs
1. Brian Morgan, GSU (25.81 avg start, 8 TB)
2. Jose Osorio, AAMU (25.95, 6)
3. Breck Ackley, SU (26.91, 15)

Punters
1. Jason Bothwell, ALST (33.55 net)
2. Shane Phillips, ALC (32.54)
3. Trey Butts, MVSU (31.34)

Although watching Pettway play you can see that he has a future on Sundays. However, I don't think his individual stats are good enough to get him MVP honors. However if the coaches vote, he might stand a chance. I'm sure that offenses scheme to avoid him.

On offense, It's Bruce Eugene. He's clearly the focal point of GSU's offense (sorry Tramon) and has carried the team all season. He's willed us to the win against Bama State last week and has dominated just about every game he's played in.

PASSING AVG/GAME Team Cl G Att Cmp Int Pct. Yds TD Avg/G
------------------------------------------------------------
EUGENE,Bruce... GSU JR 10 441 238 11 54.0 3148 29 314.8
RICHARD,Quincy. SU SR 10 292 193 8 66.1 2545 24 254.5

swac only stats:
EUGENE,Bruce... GSU JR 6 233 130 7 55.8 1896 21 316.0
RICHARD,Quincy. SU SR 5 139 87 4 62.6 1209 15 241.8
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

TOTAL OFFENSE Team Cl G Rush Pass Plays Total Yds/G
--------------------------------------------------------
EUGENE,Bruce... GSU JR 10 308 3148 520 3456 345.6
RICHARD,Quincy. SU SR 10 226 2545 340 2771 277.1

swac only stats:
EUGENE,Bruce... GSU JR 6 111 1896 270 2007 334.5
RICHARD,Quincy. SU SR 5 183 1209 163 1392 278.4
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

PASS EFFICIENCY Team Cl G Att Cmp Int Pct. Yds TD Eff.
RICHARD,Quincy. SU SR 10 292 193 8 66.1 2545 24 161.0
EUGENE,Bruce... GSU JR 10 441 238 11 54.0 3148 29 130.6

SWAC ONLY STATS:
PASS EFFICIENCY Team Cl G Att Cmp Int Pct. Yds TD Eff.
RICHARD,Quincy. SU SR 5 139 87 4 62.6 1209 15 165.5
EUGENE,Bruce... GSU JR 6 233 130 7 55.8 1896 21 147.9

TACKLES (All positions)
Player Team Cl G Pos Solo Ast Total Avg/G Sack
----------------------------------------------------------
PROUT,Jarrette. MVSU JR 10 LB 36 51 87 8.7 1.0
WINN,Marcus.... ALST SR 9 LB 43 32 75 8.3 7.0

SACKS Team Cl G Pos Solo Ast Yds Total Avg/G
TROUTMAN,Mauric UAPB JR 10 DL 6 3 46 7.5 0.75
WINN,Marcus.... ALST SR 9 LB 7 0 61 7.0 0.78

TACKLES FOR LOSS Team Cl G Pos Solo Ast Yds Total Avg/G
TROUTMAN,Mauric UAPB JR 10 DL 11 8 62 15.0 1.50
MACK,Kevin..... SU JR 9 DE 14 1 58 14.5 1.61

FUMBLES FORCED Team Cl G Num Avg/G
----------------------------------------
TROUTMAN,Mauric UAPB JR 10 4 0.40
DUKES, Lieut... AAMU SO 8 3 0.38

EUGENE,Bruce... GSU JR 11 480 259 11 54.0 3396 31 308.7
RICHARD,Quincy. SU SR 11 319 205 12 64.3 2718 26 247.1

EUGENE,Bruce... GSU JR 11 332 3396 563 3728 338.9
RICHARD,Quincy. SU SR 11 247 2718 373 2965 269.5

O-Bruce Eugene..ICON/Grambling
D-Marcus Winn..Bama

SWAC MVP will be Bruce Eugene.
Offensive- Bruce Eugene-GSU
Defensive- Lenny Williams-SU

I think the coaches will concur.

Offensive: Depends on who has the better performance for the Classic

Defensive: Lenny Williams is a given

Originally posted by PsychoJag
Offensive: Depends on who has the better performance for the Classic

Defensive: Lenny Williams is a given

Nah, I think the coaches will go with Eugene as MVP. I think their minds are made up. Quincy has had an outstanding year and maybe they might split the awards and give the MVPor Player of year to Eugene and Offensive Player of year to Quincy. If not then Eugene will sweep both awards. But you right about Lenny. Its no contest in my mind. Dude is the most complete defensive player in the SWAC. Plays the run and the pass well and will knock your lights out. Still:eek2: @ the hit on the JSU player that caused a fumble.

Offense - Bruce Eugene
Defense - Lenny Williams

Both players lived up to the hype this year, and not to mention they're both playing on the best teams in the conference.

Richard had a chance early, but with all of the interceptions as of late, he all but eliminated himself from the race, and when GSU needed Eugene the most he came through. Same holds true for Lenny.

A&M's Jermiah Bonds had a case early as well, but their huge losses against GSU & SU hurt his chances. Also if ASU's Donald Carrie wouldn't have gotten off to the slow start, a case could've probably been made for him, especially the way he's played as of late.

NICE

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Bonds hasnt really been on track ever since he got hurt early in the season against PV. He is still 60 yards away from a 1000 yard season.

On offense I have to go with Richard or Eugene... Not really sure about defense....

Newcomer... Williams from Bama State

Originally posted by JR
Nah, I think the coaches will go with Eugene as MVP. I think their minds are made up. Quincy has had an outstanding year and maybe they might split the awards and give the MVPor Player of year to Eugene and Offensive Player of year to Quincy. If not then Eugene will sweep both awards. But you right about Lenny. Its no contest in my mind. Dude is the most complete defensive player in the SWAC. Plays the run and the pass well and will knock your lights out. Still:eek2: @ the hit on the JSU player that caused a fumble.

Taking nothing from Williams (I personally think he will play on Sundays) but folk that see him on a weekly basis may be enamored with his play than others. Those folk get to watch their players and are impressed with the feats that they perform.

For instance, the GSU folk love Kenneth Pettway. The same can be said about Tyrone Parsons and Omega Logan at Alcorn, Rock Dillon at Bama State, or whomever. So it will be up to the coaches, who hopefully will be objective and fair.

I was talking to someone from SU who was commenting on the number of Williams' total tackles. I reminded him that the number of tackles might not necessarily be a good thing. When you consider that the bulk of those tackles are made on passing plays, perhaps the guy he's covering is making catches. I personally think he's a good player...but teams have had success throwing on him. The same can be said of Octavious Bond at GSU. A good football player, but he has been victimized.

To me, from a pure cover guy vantage point, I rate the corners #1 Tyrone Parsons (Alcorn) and #2 Seneca Lee (GSU).

Originally posted by MikeBigg
Taking nothing from Williams (I personally think he will play on Sundays) but folk that see him on a weekly basis may be enamored with his play than others. Those folk get to watch their players and are impressed with the feats that they perform.

For instance, the GSU folk love Kenneth Pettway. The same can be said about Tyrone Parsons and Omega Logan at Alcorn, Rock Dillon at Bama State, or whomever. So it will be up to the coaches, who hopefully will be objective and fair.

I was talking to someone from SU who was commenting on the number of Williams' total tackles. I reminded him that the number of tackles might not necessarily be a good thing. When you consider that the bulk of those tackles are made on passing plays, perhaps the guy he's covering is making catches. I personally think he's a good player...but teams have had success throwing on him. The same can be said of Octavious Bond at GSU. A good football player, but he has been victimized.

To me, from a pure cover guy vantage point, I rate the corners #1 Tyrone Parsons (Alcorn) and #2 Seneca Lee (GSU).

Thank you.

Johnny Keith may not have the all-star #s but he didn't start every game, nor did he play every game. But when he was in the game he did great. Let him have played all year and he would have way over 2,000+ yards passing easy. Not to mention he is the 4th or 5th highest rated QB in the conference.

He doesn't have the #s for Offensive POTY, but you can make a good arguement for MVP. MVP is not about who has the bigger stats.

Back