Nolan Richardson may get Job Back, Should He ?

Deuce

Here's the latest.

New hope for Nolan

Ex-coach Richardson meets with Arkansas president
Posted: Monday March 18, 2002 5:48 PM
Updated: Monday March 18, 2002 11:39 PM

Nolan Richardson coached Arkansas for 17 years, leading it to the NCAA tournament 13 times. AP
LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (AP) -- Nolan Richardson's bid to keep his job as Arkansas coach will be decided by the middle of the week.

Richardson and university President B. Alan Sugg met for more than three hours Monday, and Sugg said he would decide in a day or two whether to overturn Chancellor John White's decision to buy out the last six years of Richardson's contract for $500,000 a year, about half its face value.

"I'm still in the process of reviewing Dr. White's decision to terminate," Sugg said. "I have a great deal of personal and professional respect for Coach Richardson. This is a tough issue, and I'll do my best to make the very best decision that I can."

Richardson, who wants to remain as the Razorbacks' coach, said the session was a "good meeting."

"We presented our side. When you have a lot to talk about, it takes time," he said.

At a news conference after the meeting, Richardson released university documents that he said showed that, less than two weeks before his contract was terminated, Sugg and White held him in good standing.

Richardson said he believed Sugg was "unaware of the ... evidence that would discount the recommendation" of White to buy out Richardson's pact.

Richardson said he was certain that Sugg was "under tremendous pressure to uphold this earlier decision to terminate me."

John Walker, Richardson's lawyer, said he was hopeful Sugg would be fair in the face of a "very strong athletic director with a reputation for outlasting presidents and chancellors."

"I do not believe that it will be easy decision," Walker said.

On March 1, White said he was buying out Richardson's contract after the coach said publicly and privately that was what he wanted. Richardson has said he wants to remain as coach.

Richardson's contract gave the university the right to end the coach's employment without giving an excuse.

The meeting with Sugg didn't start until shortly before noon because Richardson and his lawyer attended the funeral of U.S. District Judge Henry Woods.

Richardson and Woods were friends, and Walker is a lawyer in a Little Rock school desegregation case that Woods handled for eight years.

After Woods' funeral at Christ the King Catholic Church, many of the 500 mourners went up to the coach, patted him on the back and wished him well during his meeting with Sugg. Two women kissed him on the cheek.

Richardson coached Arkansas for 17 years, leading it to the NCAA tournament 13 times and the NIT twice. His run included a national championship in 1994, a runner-up finish the next year and another Final Four appearance.

While the university has said it was fulfilling Richardson's request to buy out his contract, Richardson said Friday he did not request a buyout.

"I did not resign or retire, nor did I request to be bought, and I've not been bought out of my contract," he said in a statement to The Associated Press.

White announced the university was buying out Richardson's contract after the coach said twice publicly following a Feb. 23 loss at Kentucky that, if the school would buy him out, he would leave. Before the March 1 announcement, Richardson said he wanted to stay.

Documents provided to Sugg in advance of the meeting and reviewed by the AP included a June 21, 2001, memo to White in which athletic director Frank Broyles recommended that the university not extend Richardson's contract another year.

Also included was an exchange of correspondence this year in which the Arkansas Razorback Foundation proposed a new contract relating to the coach's TV show and Richardson's refusal to accept the proposal. The proposal included good-conduct clauses that would have barred the coach from making disparaging remarks about the university.

The documents also include a Feb. 12 memo to White in which Broyles contended Richardson had made disparaging remarks about the university in a newspaper article.

I wouldnt hire his ass back. He talked all that ish on NATIONAL TELEVISION... I guess he was tryin to call Arkansas' bluff. Now he feels like a fool because they fired him. Didnt he say, "IF they bought out my contract, I would leave a happy man" or something like that. Nolan needs to stop running his damn mouth so much.

You mean after that tirade Richarson is now begging for this job back. I could take it or leave it concerning Richardson but I doubt Arkansas will bring him back.

You'll probably don't remember when Nolan first came to Arkansas, his horse or horses were shot an killed on his property. Either they didn't won't a black coach or a black coach with a white wife at a major University. Get out of there Nolan Richardson before it's to late.

The problem for the University of Arkansas is that Bud Walton (founder of Wal-Mart) has told the University that is is stopping all funding to the University if Nolan Richardson is not hired back... A the U of A, the Razorbacks' play in "Bud Walton Arena"...

Bud Walton played an instrumental part on getting Nolan there in the first place.... Now it has become a matter of dollars and "sense" for the Razorbacks powers that be...

From my times meeting Nolan and spending time on his ranch, he is a very down to earth individual... Away from his office he really has no ego, but put any coach in that position and thier ego expands......

My only thing with nolan is, you cant cry racism when you are married to a white female...:xeye:

First off, Sam Walton founded Wal-Mart. He died in the early 90's.

Secondly, just because one is married to a white woman, doesn't mean that he is free from racism.

As for the money, there are just as many sponsors who will not give any money to the university as there are sponsor who will. Nolan should step down for his sake, the university's and the state. All good things must come to an end, and his time has come. If he was winning, he wouldn't have this problem. But if you are not winning and not graduating students, then what good are you?

Originally posted by Anonymous

My only thing with nolan is, you cant cry racism when you are married to a white female...

Clarence Thomas did it . . .

O.J. Simpson did it . . .

Chales Barkley did it . . .

Nolan Richardson is just carrying on the tradition . . lol ! ! !

Seriously though, the fact that he is married to a white woman may be unfortunate, but it is also irrelevant. A black man married to a white woman may be MORE apt to be discriminated against than one who is not.

Nolan got fired for being stupid.....He was stupid enough to go running off at the mouff!!!!!!

Let his azz stay at da' house!!!!!

The fact that he's begging for his job back, just makes him look more pitiful than he already is.....

Never, Never Beg!!!!!!:mad:

The only reason I want to see Nolan get his job back is becuz it will piss off that arrogant cracker Frank Broyle. That old Central High boycotting redneck has been in control up there too long. I seriously think that dude is a vampire or some kinda dayum immortal!

He doesn't think he's God's gift to the world, his azz thinks he's the world's gift to God!

I think it's all a ploy just to get his buy-out with no strings attached. There was a clause there that said if he took another job the university does not have to pay him. They need to be stuck with the whole 3 million they owe him whether or not he takes another job over the next 6 years.

Back