New SWAC band rankings with FAMU

SWAC band rankings that include FAMU, should look like this:
1. Southern University/Florida A&M University
2. Jackson State University
3. Prairie View University
4. Grambling State University/Alabama A&M University
5. Alcorn State University
6. Alabama State University
7. Texas Southern University University/Mississippi Valley State University/University of Arkansas Pine Bluff

The notoriety and respect that a band enjoys is earned over the course of many consecutive, grueling years of hard work. You can't just have a good year or two and expect public sentiment to shift in your favor. You can't just wish upon a band's success, or wish away a band's success. Again, it must be earned through hard work and perseverance!. The atl hornet has expended so much of his time in this forum trying his damnest best to sway vulnearable psyches, although with little to no success, that the band of his alma mater, the ASU Hornets, is one of the best bands in the conference, and indeed in the nation. He has even ranked his band in this thread as the 4th best band in the conference, tied with SU, a suggestion that offends me greatly. To even list your band in the same conversation as SU and some of the better hbcu bands, borders on the absurd, if not the insane.

I hate when people have ties and don't recognize the number of teams in the tie. Not that I agree with the rankings but if SUx and FUBU are tied at #1, then JSU is #3. You cant have two programs ahead of you and STILL be #2. What kind of sense is that?

That would make PV #4, and Gramberling/Annie Mae #5

According to this poll, 6 programs are head of Alcorn. Yet, they are number 5. Make it make sense...smh Alcorn is #7 here.

But carry on...

Last edited:
Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Not really.

Some folks sincerely think JSU has the second-best band.

If my biases came into play, I'd put JSU last. Not second.
Exactly, as much as I dislike JSkate, my bias would have them fighting Valley and Bama State for the bottom. lol

New Flash Folks.... Bands are only as good as their last season. To be honest, they're only as good as their last show. All of these programs have changed over the years based on their style, talent base, financial strength of the school, and their ability to recruit and offer scholarships. We are now in the summer of 2020 and we've already ranked the band programs based on school that will not join until 2021 and the past 30 years of the existing SWAC programs. Come on folks... let us please rise above the ignorance and stop ranking band programs because we either went to that school or marched in that band. Even I, as a musician and former band student of one of these programs, choose the leave the ranking up to the judges at the Battle of the Bands. There are just too many variables to rank. Just sit back and enjoy the shows and let these kids have their fun, we had our time......
It's all for fun. No one is seriously taking these rankings to heart. It's no different than folks on the Sports board ranking who they think will win the SWAC Championship and the Celebration Bowl. Heck ESPN and Fox pay people a lot of money to rank and discuss how they think certain teams will perform. Us doing these rankings in no way affect the performances of the bands, nor do they affect the kids having fun. Just because we had our time doesn't mean we can't enjoy discussing them, talking trash, and doing other things.

It's all for fun. No one is seriously taking these rankings to heart. It's no different than folks on the Sports board ranking who they think will win the SWAC Championship and the Celebration Bowl. Heck ESPN and Fox pay people a lot of money to rank and discuss how they think certain teams will perform. Us doing these rankings in no way affect the performances of the bands, nor do they affect the kids having fun. Just because we had our time doesn't mean we can't enjoy discussing them, talking trash, and doing other things.

Yes!

Looks at rankings , smh .. famu ain’t been famu since that lil incident that we will not mention cause it made all HBCU bands look bad... I’d put famu #3 .... only cause they put together better field shows than pv, gram, and Alcorn everyone else can fall in line... Alabama state will be bigger but until Oliver retire ... who are we kidding? SU folks..... *sigh* the bias school pride just got to stop. Again, JSU 18 & 19 had better years than SU 18 and 19. SU only gets up for one band a year for a reason... carry on.

and SU ain’t been SU since Jackson left!

Bethune and FAMU are the top bands from the MEAC ... all the MEAC have left are Norfolk and A&T.

The SWAC is kicking ass and is about to get really interesting. I hope the MEAC pull thru though

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
What are y’all rankings now?

The SWAC now has 4 of the 5 greatest HBCU Marching Bands of All Time (SU, JSU, GSU, and FAMU) too bad we couldn't go 5 for 5 with TnSU.
SU
JSU
FAMU
PV
GSU
BCU
AAMU
ALCORN
TXSU
UAPB
Bama St
Valley

Last edited:
Hilarious.

our little brother in Huntsville and the past their prime band in Red Stick have us near the bottom. The devil is a lie!

Atl Hornet, I know you have a lot of pride for your school and you want to go hard for them, but the majority agrees that Bama State’s band has severely declined over the past few years. Honestly, I think Bama State had a good band in the 90s and early 2000s, but that’s not the case today.

Anybody that puts BCU in the top 3 is crazy... If any band played the same thing for 20 years, we would be screaming the hills, but since its BCU we should OVER look it..

Back