New Sponsor for the SWAC football championship game.

WaterBoy2

Magic City Classic notebook

10/26/03

Second-largest crowd for Classic:

When Gene Hallman saw traffic snarled near Legion Field two hours before kickoff, he figured police were having a problem routing traffic.

From Our Advertiser

The problem, he would learn later, was the number of cars - and thus patrons - they were trying to direct to the Magic City Classic.

The 62nd edition of this football rivalry drew an announced crowd of 63,117. That ranks as the second-largest crowd to attend the game, topped only by the 70,200 in 1991.

"We closed the parking lot an hour and a half before the game," said Hallman, who is president of the Alabama Sports Foundation, which helps coordinate events related to the Classic. "That's the earliest that we've closed the lot."

Mistake costs State a timeout:

Alabama State had to make its last-ditch drive for a possible game-tying field goal without any timeouts. The Hornets already had used all of their timeouts, including one called by mistake.

ASU was about to punt the ball and defensive coordinator Tony Pierce called time out because he thought the wrong players were on the field. He was wrong.

"We tried to get our safe punt return team on there, which consists of our regular defense," he said. "When I looked out on the wing, I was thinking punt return and I didn't see one of our players out there who I normally see. But he wasn't supposed to be out there and I thought he was."

Coe on minds of Hornets:

Head coach Charles Coe wasn't with the Hornets team but the players were on his mind, according to acting coach Tony Pierce.

"He told me to tell the guys to win for them and not for me," Pierce said, quoting Coe. "He said thanks for the prayers and he'll be up and around shortly. It'll be good to have him back."

Pierce said he thinks Coe, who reportedly underwent heart surgery last week, watched the game on television. He declined to say whether Coe is still in the hospital.

Chrysler sponsors SWAC game:

If State or A&M gets back to Birmingham for the SWAC Championship Game, its players can expect to see more than a few Chrysler cars around town. The automaker is the new title sponsor of the conference's title contest.

"We just got that word the other day," SWAC Commissioner Robert C. Vowels Jr. said. "They're coming on for a three-year deal. That solidifies us and gives us stability to help grow this game."

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
sprint pcs...

<h1>
Sprint
PCS

SUCKED
</h1>

Once I got within 4 miles of the stadium, I couldn't make a call for hours!!!
:mad:

Great News for the SWAC.....glad to see Chrysler jumped on board!:D

SUJ96....so many people were tryin to use there sprint phones at the game with the :mad: face....I got Verizon and even mine started acting funny! I took the battery out and put it back in everytime...Imagine tryin to get a spare key down from Huntsville so you can get a truck outta somebody's backyard before it gets to dark....all while ya phone is messin up! I got straight tho round 12:15am:D Thanks Mama ?????(she has been living on Graymont for decades) for lockin the gates and keepin my vehicle safe....:D

yall gone learn with them Sprint phones!:(

Originally posted by TRU3000
yall gone learn with them Sprint phones!:(

I can tell you that it wasn't just Sprint. Normally at any college game that has two rivals in it, you are going to have cell phone problems. All those people in one area are operating on one tower. The system can't handle the volume of calls trying to get through.
I'm sure that Cingular, Verizon, Sprint, and any other carrier were all maxed out on their volume of calls in that area. Their respective towers were flooded with heavy traffic and some people couldn't get through. I know it will happen with Cingular because it happened when I had Cingular at the Capital City Classic a few years ago.

That's wasn't just a Sprint PCS problem.

Re: sprint pcs...

Originally posted by SUperJag96
<h1>
Sprint
PCS

SUCKED
</h1>

Once I got within 4 miles of the stadium, I couldn't make a call for hours!!!
:mad:

I'm glad you said that I've been cussing this phone every since football season started.

Verizon/cincular hear I come!!!

Opps maybe not verizon, but I know for sure cincular was getting it done because I use a friends.

Re: Re: sprint pcs...

Originally posted by bluedog
I'm glad you said that I've been cussing this phone every since football season started.

Verizon/cincular hear I come!!!

Not so fast my friend.

Read what AW posted. Saturday afternoon during the LSU call in show, they were having trouble will cellular phones because so many people are trying to use phones in the same area. The towers get overloaded and tend to kick people off.

No it wasn't just Sprint. My friend was having problems with Verizon at the parade because we were separated. I was able to call my son on our Sprint. I know it was a tower overload because when we hit the White Chapel area his phone started peeping with messages and missed calls.

I attempted to make calls 3 times in the Legion Field parking lot after the game, and got at "system busy" message. Finally, around 8:15 p.m., I was able to get a call through.

I have T-Mobile and I didnt have any problems using my phone; matter-of-fact, everybody I was with, was asking to borrow my phone to use.

.....ya better switch to T-Mobile.......Thanks T-Mobile!!!

"Snake"

Originally posted by PsiSnake
I have T-Mobile and I didnt have any problems using my phone; matter-of-fact, everybody I was with, was asking to borrow my phone to use.

.....ya better switch to T-Mobile.......Thanks T-Mobile!!!

"Snake"

I HAVE T-MOBILE! Other than the 20 minutes or so after the game, my service was fine.

Yall need to leave them cheap services alone and get with NEXTEL..... It has saved me from a LOT of grief that I had with Sprint. I see why most companys and businessmen and company's use Nextel now.

Originally posted by DAHILL
Yall need to leave them cheap services alone and get with NEXTEL..... It has saved me from a LOT of grief that I had with Sprint. I see why most companys and businessmen and company's use Nextel now.

The last two weekends 2 of my girls who have Nextel have had no service at all. Throughout the WHOLE weekend in the WHOLE city of Houston. One of them has since switched.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
If State or A&M gets back to Birmingham for the SWAC Championship Game, its players can expect to see more than a few Chrysler cars around town. The automaker is the new title sponsor of the conference's title contest.

"We just got that word the other day," SWAC Commissioner Robert C. Vowels Jr. said. "They're coming on for a three-year deal. That solidifies us and gives us stability to help grow this game."

Nice!!

Re: Re: Re: sprint pcs...

Originally posted by cat daddy
they were having trouble will cellular phones because so many people are trying to use phones in the same area. The towers get overloaded and tend to kick people off.

CHA-CHINNNNNNNGGGGG!!!! $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ :emlaugh:

The Chrysler deal makes a lot of sense.

Mercedes owns Chrysler, and Mercedes' only U.S. assembly plant is about 30 minutes from Birmingham.

This is further proof that the SCG is exactly where it needs to be.

:tup:

You will have the cell phone problem at any game that MBC produces... Unfortunately, their satellite inteferes with the cell signels for the duration of the game.... Have had that problem at 4 games this season.... They usually tell us in the Friday production meetings, that there could be a problem with cell usage.

Back