New Redshirt Rule

Fiyah

Administrator
Staff member
AFCA executive director Todd Berry laid out the organization’s legislative agenda in a press conference to close the convention last week, and over the hour-long session Berry saved his strongest stance for his campaign to change the redshirt rule.

The new rule would allow players to play in up to four games — any four games — and retain their redshirt.

Changing the rule will have wide-ranging competitive implications, though. Think of the coach juggling a quarterback derby. Now, instead of making an educated guess on the last day of training camp of whether the true freshman is really ready to overtake the fourth-year junior for the starting quarterback job, now he can extend the competition through the first third of the season without gambling the freshman’s redshirt away.

http://footballscoop.com/news/sounds-like-new-redshirt-rule-going-pass/

I am always thinking of how coaches would use this to their benefit instead of looking out for the athlete. This would allow a coach to redshirt a freshman QB and keep him around (and convince him from transferring) by letting him play even if they recruit another QB (substitute any position for QB) and have to battle it out the next year.

The positive is that it would allow an athlete to keep their eligibility even if they play in a game or two.

I don't think they are trying to look out for the student athlete with this rule. Because the schedule has expanded now potentially up to 15 games ( any potentially more if they expand the playoff to 8 teams) they want to have more bodies available and not worry about injuries. So we've gone from freshman ineligibility to now they can play 4 games as redshirts. Conference realignment was about tv money. Conference championship games about money. Expanded post-season tournaments about money and coaching security and this is no different.

I think 4 games is too many. I think 2 or 3 is enough.

I think 2 should be the max. If they play 9 quarters, I would count the year. Playing someone in a half if the starter gets hurt, I1 ame at the end of the year or in a bowl game is a bad way for an athlete to lose a year of eligibility

Transfer rules are about to open up so it will balance out a lot of skullduggery by advantageous coaches

Just imagine the pressure that now falls on the person doing participation reports..lol.

Coach: He only played 4 games
Person: Stats say 5
Coach: no way, they wrong it’s on tape
Person: tape shows it
Coach: he wore another number that day
Person: smh

If I'm not mistaken SU burned a QB's redshirt for one play in the Bayou Classic once...15 years ago or more I think.

Wish this rule was around then.

If I'm not mistaken SU burned a QB's redshirt for one play in the Bayou Classic once...15 years ago or more I think.

Wish this rule was around then.

Quincy Richard. Levy had come in the game after Troy Williams got hurt, but gotten his helmet jacked up on a play and had to sit out the next play. But we redshirted him the next season since Levy and Troy Williams were coming back. So it worked out. That was 99 and the great BC comeback. Richard won in 03 as a 5th year Senior.

Players will be competing for spots in those first few games now without losing a year.
Those homecoming games gonna get a lot players playing now.

Back