New membership to churches...

aamuprettywoman

AAMU all day every day!
Have any of you every changed memeberships @ churches due to relocation, change of religion, choice in faiths? Just wondering.
I'm considering, well I've really made up my mind, I'm going to do it.

I want to be a more active part of the church I attend here or have been attending for close to a year. I never changed my membership when I was in Huntsville. I stayed with my home church.

How was it for you folks who have moved your memberships?

I am thinking about changing now... the church I am currently attend has changed directions and locations. I have just starting going to Mase's church and I think I might join there... it is hard giving my home church..

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
I just move to a new location and I had to change churches. It was good transition for me. There were a couple of brothers there that reached out to me to make feel at home. Now I feel like I 've been there for 10 years. But most importantly, before I joined this church I ask GOD to lead into making this decision.

Yes,
I have changed churches. It is a very long story. The story spans across my years at Texas Southern. I am happy at Friendship now.

I believe it doesnt matter what church you attend but what type of work do you do while you are a member. If you dont go to bible study at "Great Day." you probably will not go to bible study at "New Great Day" either. So before you move your membership, try to be more active in your current church. It may be just fine for you.

:D

Yeah, I changed once or twice...

Actually, I've only changed home churches twice since I was 13 years old. My family moved from New Orleans to Birmingham, so that was a natural change. We went to my father's old church, though. From there, we moved to another church because we got more out of the people interraction there - more of our relatives were there & better singing ;). I went to several churches in college, but changed my new home church after one of the associate pastors at my old church stared a new one. Truly, God has led me the whole way - I wouldn't have even known about this pastor had it not been for our initial move (& how much the singing impressed me). Now, I am with a pastor and church family who encourage and challenge me to grow in my relationship with God.

Sometimes, change can be for the best. Just make sure the true purpose is not people (or singing :D) but to grow closer with God.

Originally posted by Ms. Jag4Jag
Best thing that ever happened to me....saved my life!

mg4j, are you speaking of Windsor? If, so tell me how did you get through the new membership intake at the church, where you stand in front of the whole congregation. That is the only reason I had not joined. I am not saying that I do not like it. I am just stating that I am too nervous to do it.

When I was in law school, I visited my current church and learned so much from the pastor's sermons. After graduation, I moved back home to take a job. A year later God gave me an offer to move back to this city with an outstanding job. I knew that also was my sign to join the church that I had visited. Everything that I wasn't getting out of my home church was present in that church. PROGRESSIVENESS. I prayed about joining because my concern was that because it had the largest black congregation in the city(several thousand) and two locations, I felt I would be just another number. God had given me so many outreach ideas that I was eager to get moving. So, as soon as I got unpacked, I just stepped out on faith and joined. Immediately, I got busy. I joined auxillaries in the church and even presented a proposal to the pastor to start a legal ministry which he approved. Now, I am at the church several days a week, just working for God's people in any way I can. I have learned that we are a big church in terms of the number of people that are members and attend Sunday worship service. But when you get down to the number that are there working for God, trying to help the church to go to the next level, faithful in attending bible study and other church programs that number dimishes drastically to maybe 200. I meet people all the time that say "that church is too big, the pastor can't possibly know his members." I tell them that if they were working in the church Pastor would know them by name and they would see that the church is just big on Sunday. We are a big building with a big roll book, but actually we are operating like a small church family.
I said all of this to say. Pray on it and just step out of faith. You have no idea how God wants to use you in serving His people and enhancing your own personal relationship with Him. Keep in mind that God commands us to dwell together in His name.

Originally posted by Quietstorm

mg4j, are you speaking of Windsor? If, so tell me how did you get through the new membership intake at the church, where you stand in front of the whole congregation. That is the only reason I had not joined. I am not saying that I do not like it. I am just stating that I am too nervous to do it.

Did Jesus say He was too nervous to go up on the cross?

NO. We should try and immulate Him in how we approach things. We must be bold in letting others know He is our Savior. If this is a church that believes that He is our Savior, then by joining you are saying that you believe as they do. Do so boldly.

Originally posted by JSU*Toi
I am thinking about changing now... the church I am currently attend has changed directions and locations. I have just starting going to Mase's church and I think I might join there... it is hard giving my home church..

You go to Siloam in East Point??? Im with this gospel group, INNERFAITH, and we have a member that is on your usher board. Pastor Carter...I know him.

Originally posted by JSTUS

NO. We should try and immulate Him in how we approach things. We must be bold in letting others know He is our Savior. If this is a church that believes that He is our Savior, then by joining you are saying that you believe as they do. Do so boldly.

:D :D :tup:

Originally posted by aamuprettywoman
I'm going to do it.

If you are in the Riverdale area, try my church.
New Macadonia Church on Church Street
located behind the Kroger's shopping plaza on GA 85
right beside the Clayton County ballpark.

Pastored by Gerry T. Anderson

I sing with the Male Chorus (who sings every 2nd Sunday). :D

When I was in law school, I visited my current church and learned so much from the pastor's sermons. After graduation, I moved back home to take a job. A year later God gave me an offer to move back to this city with an outstanding job. I knew that also was my sign to join the church that I had visited. Everything that I wasn't getting out of my home church was present in that church. PROGRESSIVENESS. I prayed about joining because my concern was that because it had the largest black congregation in the city(several thousand) and two locations, I felt I would be just another number. God had given me so many outreach ideas that I was eager to get moving. So, as soon as I got unpacked, I just stepped out on faith and joined. Immediately, I got busy. I joined auxillaries in the church and even presented a proposal to the pastor to start a legal ministry which he approved. Now, I am at the church several days a week, just working for God's people in any way I can. I have learned that we are a big church in terms of the number of people that are members and attend Sunday worship service. But when you get down to the number that are there working for God, trying to help the church to go to the next level, faithful in attending bible study and other church programs that number dimishes drastically to maybe 200. I meet people all the time that say "that church is too big, the pastor can't possibly know his members." I tell them that if they were working in the church Pastor would know them by name and they would see that the church is just big on Sunday. We are a big building with a big roll book, but actually we are operating like a small church family.
I said all of this to say. Pray on it and just step out of faith. You have no idea how God wants to use you in serving His people and enhancing your own personal relationship with Him. Keep in mind that God commands us to dwell together in His name.

JSTUS,
Great Post... Sounds like you attend a church here in Houston. Hmm.... What is the name of I.V. Hillard's Church???????:confused: I forgot....WAIT..... Is it New Light?.... I believe so. Anyways:xeye: , I just posted to say i agree with you. It is not the church but the work that you do in the church. Unless your church is not doing any work.

Originally posted by docmump

JSTUS,
Great Post... Sounds like you attend a church here in Houston. Hmm....

I am an active member of GREATER KING DAVID BAPTIST CHURCH pastored by Dr. John E. Montgomery, II.
He is the founder of MOVEMENT OF CHRIST MINISTRIES, which is our television and radio outreach unit.

It's a small world

I am an active member of GREATER KING DAVID BAPTIST CHURCH pastored by Dr. John E. Montgomery, II.
He is the founder of MOVEMENT OF CHRIST MINISTRIES, which is our television and radio outreach unit.

JSTUS,

You're one of my co-members lady....:wavey:

How long have you been in Baton Rouge? I can't believe we don't know each other.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop

thanks 4 the advice JSTUS

ahh...

So before you move your membership, try to be more active in your current church. It may be just fine for you.

You should be active @ any church you attend. But that's not my point. My question dealt with moving memberships, period...and being a part of the various ministries within that organization. I've never moved my membership from my hometown church. I still attended the church and participated actively over the years that I was away, but of course being away @ school, work, in another state takes away from being "active" as usual. I'm not gonig to drive hours to get to church when there are ministries here that I can serve in also.

I've been praying and thinking about this for a while...and I have my answer.

Thanks.

Re: ahh...

Originally posted by aamuprettywoman

You should be active @ any church you attend. But that's not my point. My question dealt with moving memberships, period...and being a part of the various ministries within that organization. I've never moved my membership from my hometown church. I still attended the church and participated actively over the years that I was away, but of course being away @ school, work, in another state takes away from being "active" as usual. I'm not gonig to drive hours to get to church when there are ministries here that I can serve in also.

I've been praying and thinking about this for a while...and I have my answer.

Thanks.

I am glad your questions have been answered.... I just want everybody to be happy attending the church they select to attend.

My pastor once said "We(Christians) are all going to the same place, even though we are on different roads, we are going to the same place."
:cool:

Re: It's a small world

Originally posted by Dtown Jag

JSTUS,

You're one of my co-members lady....:wavey:

How long have you been in Baton Rouge? I can't believe we don't know each other.

I lived in BR Aug. 1996-Nov. 1999 and Dec. 2000-present.

Re: Re: It's a small world

I lived in BR Aug. 1996-Nov. 1999 and Dec. 2000-present.

Oh ok...I moved out to Texas in '96, been here ever since.

Originally posted by Blacknbengal

You go to Siloam in East Point??? Im with this gospel group, INNERFAITH, and we have a member that is on your usher board. Pastor Carter...I know him.

I have not been to that church...

I was at CDL....it was in the west end and has moved to decatur. I miss my home church in Chicago... Zion HIll MBC...

I new church I was talking about is SANE... Pastor Mason Betha.

Originally posted by JSU*Toi

I new church I was talking about is SANE... Pastor Mason Betha.

Yeah, I know that church. Havent been, but I heard about it. More young people than older ones.

Back