Neighboring SLC football 5-0 vs the SWAC fall 2019

No disrespect. We talk about wanting the top players. But, if we can't make simple adjustments to the offense, or defense during game time. It's a waste of time. Also, some of our coaches are just outright lazy. If you are looking to rely on talent for coaching. You are in serious trouble.

Then don't let the d-1 fbs bcs schools coaching gold fool you sir. The MAIN reason why some of those guys appear as good as they claim to be is because they have the best of the best of the best at their disposal. That disparity in talent also widens the gap to land a victory.

It's almost mind-boggling, STC. The bar is so low w/ some in the SWAC.
It's not mind boggling to me anymore. It's common place to me now. I don't even get excited about these local fcs games anymore. I hate the local Fbs games even more.

Our "Elite" Swac teams shouldn't ever take Moral victories against Southland teams. Folks been wanting the tide to turn and got comfortable losing to in state pwi fcs teams.

I rather go back to the HBCU Classic days playing Hampton...Famu...NC A&T and other HBCU brothren.

Then don't let the d-1 fbs bcs schools coaching gold fool you sir. The MAIN reason why some of those guys appear as good as they claim to be is because they have the best of the best of the best at their disposal. That disparity in talent also widens the gap to land a victory.

So, Georgia State beat Tennessee in Knoxville, and Citadel beat Georgia Tech in Atlanta. I'm willing to bet. Our teams match up on talent. But, the issues will be schemes and adjustments.

Don't know how much coaching can prevent folks from muffing punts and fumbling the ball away five times ... Maybe they sprayed Crisco on the ball LOL

We played terribly and lost by a TD and not recovering an onside kick. Alcorn played like crap and lost by a FG.

I believe iron sharpens iron. Only way we'll get better is if we continue to schedule these games and start beating them.

Side note: Those FBS games y'all hate are going to eventually dry up. So we won't have to worry about those games in a few years.

A lot of this is being beat mentally before the game starts. Back in the day when we played North Alabama or Jacksonville State our talent was better or equal, but we always came out on the short end of the stick. Something happened in North Alabama this year that was different. After halftime the team came out with a "we will not be denied attitude" and won the game.
I am about to make an unpopular statement. Bring the hate on.... However, if our football teams had the same energy, swag, preparation, and confidence as our bands we would be world beaters. When those SWAC bands hit any stadium whether it is SWAC, Big 10, SEC, ACC etc.. They come in with a mentality to intimidate you and not to be intimidated. How do we get our football teams to have that same mentality

A lot of this is being beat mentally before the game starts. Back in the day when we played North Alabama or Jacksonville State our talent was better or equal, but we always came out on the short end of the stick. Something happened in North Alabama this year that was different. After halftime the team came out with a "we will not be denied attitude" and won the game.
I am about to make an unpopular statement. Bring the hate on.... However, if our football teams had the same energy, swag, preparation, and confidence as our bands we would be world beaters. When those SWAC bands hit any stadium whether it is SWAC, Big 10, SEC, ACC etc.. They come in with a mentality to intimidate you and not to be intimidated. How do we get our football teams to have that same mentality

Bands have more energy and confidence than the football players because ain’t no tuba players colliding with them at 18 MPH LOL

Also, the NCAA doesn’t restrict band practice time, so they should be prepared LOL

Bands have more energy and confidence than the football players because ain’t no tuba players colliding with them at 18 MPH LOL

Also, the NCAA doesn’t restrict band practice time, so they should be prepared LOL

Excuses....
Clemson, Alabama, North Dakota State, Montana, Valdosta State, West Georgia etc... They have the mentality, why can't we...Let me bring it home to you.... Jackson State in the late 80's!!!!!

The real battle comes in the offseason. Strength and Conditioning, classroom, nutrition, and cohesion.
Let's be honest, how many of our HBCUs have football programs, and not a team? Again, we are going have to "adapt and adjust" with the times, or fall to the wayside.

@Bewildered the word "shameful" is a bit strong. I know the losses, particularly Southern, Alcorn & Prairie View are disappointing (and that is the word I would use) but when you see the efforts, I would not characterize it as "shameful." I know you're tired of the same song and dance though. When the teams did their best and didn't come up with the W, we have to take the bitter with the sweet and move on. I feel your pain though......LOL @Mrwireglass is right on the money with his comment (along with making adjustments and playing 60 minutes of football).

"shameful" is actually appropriate in this case, given that McNeese St. was projected by some to finish as low as 6th in the Southland this year whereas Southern and Alcorn St. were viewed by many as the likely SWAC Championship game participants. You had a perennial Southland Conference Champion and I-AA/FCS Juggernaut that was there for the taking and SU and Alcorn let them off of the hook. :mad:

"shameful" is actually appropriate in this case, given that McNeese St. was projected by some to finish as low as 6th in the Southland this year whereas Southern and Alcorn St. were viewed by many as the likely SWAC Championship game participants. You had a perennial Southland Conference Champion and I-AA/FCS Juggernaut that was there for the taking and SU and Alcorn let them off of the hook. :mad:

All of that and Vegas betting line had S.U. a 4 point underdog and Alcorn a 1 point favorite. To each his own, call it what you want. I feel your pain.....LOL .......Question, do you believe Odums & McNair should be fired?

Nah bruh... it's "disappointing" that recent and 2019 projected SWAC divisional champions and SWAC power squads cannot beat a neighboring conference projected middle of the pack team that has a new coaching staff w/ new philosophies in place.

I was really looking forward to fall 2019 OOC competition because this was the year, w/ everything that all SWAC squads return + increases, that I thought we collectively could get over the proverbial hump and that includes MVSU w/ the head-to-head over Lamar. I picked Valley to win that game.

Since UAPB gave up 90 points to a FCS team last year, was chosen to come out close to the SWAC West basement while AAMU was chosen to be the only threat to taking on Alcorn for the SWAC East Championship but was skull dragged by UAPB, should Maynor be fired too?

Since UAPB gave up 90 points to a FCS team last year, was chosen to come out close to the SWAC West basement while AAMU was chosen to be the only threat to taking on Alcorn for the SWAC East Championship but was skull dragged by UAPB, should Maynor be fired too?

Already ? lol 😂 damn aamu .... that defense is world class garbage juice ... don’t be fooled by that north Alabama game lol

All of that and Vegas betting line had S.U. a 4 point underdog and Alcorn a 1 point favorite. To each his own, call it what you want. I feel your pain.....LOL .......Question, do you believe Odums & McNair should be fired?

Fired for losing an early season non-conference game??? Absolutely not. 🤣 However, they both should feel a deep sense of regret for not leading what were expected to be one of their more talented squads to victory over a clearly weakened McNeese St. Simply a missed opportunity for both of them individually and the conference as a whole.

Last edited:
As a means of determining betting odds, does Vegas factor in each team's coach??? If so, maybe we should pay close attention to that aspect of Vegas betting. I'm sure Vegas has a methodology for its betting game.

Fired for losing an early season non-conference game??? Absolutely not. However, they both should feel a deep sense of regret for not leading what were expected to be one of their more talented squads to victory over a clearly weakened McNeese St. Simply a missed opportunity for both of them individually and the conference as a whole.

Disappointing: Verb to fail to fulfill the expectations or wishes of; Disappoint : Adjective to fail to fulfill the expectations or wishes of https://www.dictionary.com/browse/disappointing

No one is asking our coaches to be like the grad students at MIT who flipped the odds in blackjack, but they can at least make an attempt to put the odds in their favor with some basic game time academics, especially in the second half or maybe they were one of those individuals who believed in copying from others and still expected to pass a class.

Last edited:
No one is asking our coaches to be like the grad students at MIT who flipped the odds in blackjack, but they can at least make an attempt to put the odds in their favor with some basic game time academics, especially in the second half or maybe they were one of those individuals who believed in copying from others and still expected to pass a class.

J89, I'm muting myself. You K-N-O-W I have a lot to say about this.

But, gawdt has toucheth my souleth so I tryeth to see'eth the best'eth in folks, regardless of their mental shortcomings. :)

Back