Need an attendance check for this past weekend

Blu Panther

The name says it all
I know AAMU and ASU packed the place since it was a rival game. PV drew over 4,000 fans against a GSU team that normally draws flies. Don't know if this winning or what but just want you all to know a large crowd awaits you if your team dare comes to PV. I know 3/4 of SWAC hoops teams are not used to large crowds.

TSU - taking notes? We're filling the place up in the country. I know the H&PE was jampacked since you all are 3-1. :look:

This year the game wasnt held in Elmore because of past problems with a lot of fans not geteting in, trying to tear down windows and doors. It was held downtown at the Von Braun Center.

It was PACKED... 7,109 PAID....... first 1,500 AAMU students with ID got in Free...... so actually attendence was about 8,600. Keep in mind tickets were 20, 15, and 10 dollars. The 10 dollar tickets were gone FAST.

DAHILL, we still had a problem because they sold all the tickets and some fans still did not get in.

That was still a great price for a triple header game and great attendance.

Originally posted by bluphiiijsu
What was the 3rd game before the AAMU & ASU matchups?

NBADL(NBA Developmental League) game.... Huntsville Flight vs North Charleston Lowgators was in betwween the mens and womens game. The "D" league is the next step before an underdeveloped player plays before being moved up to the NBA. The dude from Alcorn last year and former SWAC player of the year was on Huntsville's team but he got cut earlier in the year.

Originally posted by MightyDog
DAHILL, we still had a problem because they sold all the tickets and some fans still did not get in.

I was VERY SURPRISED with attendence... I thougth that moving it to the VBC would be a terrible mistake, but I was proved wrong. It felt good to sit in CUSHIONED fold down chairs instead of hard wooden bleachers. I think the game should stay at the VBC. The party was also in the VBC, so all you had to do is walk next door to the East Hall. Downtown Huntsville was packed with Black folks last night. Traffic jams like it is on 1st Ave in Bham during Magic City Classic weekend.

The Development League President attended the game last night because this was a frist for the league to play in this type of setting. This was the largest crowd to attend a Development League game in the history of the league. It was about 6000 or more for their game, but when the SWAC game started it was a sell out.

BET was on sight also recording this event. They will show some of the takes in Feb. The SWAC looked good last night.

I don't have any complaints with the officiating last night.
We missed too many free throws. We were 4th in the Nation in free throw shooting and lost the game on free throws. But we will get better.

MightyDog, the last 5 games between these two teams have been brawls. I thought the Hornets established the tempo and it was nothing Pettaway could do to change it. It will be the same type game in Montgomery. These game are always close and very competitive. State trying to keep the scores in the 50s or low 60s and A&M trying to get into the 70s or 80s. I don't know what State's SWAC opponents shooting percentages are, but I bet they are in the low 30s. The Hornets basketball team reminds me of the Bulldogs 2002 football team. They play defense.

Originally posted by Texas Southern Fan
JSU and TSU........... 957

Please tell me you're kidding with that number. It's not like this was a game before school started and most of the students were gone.

I would laugh if they were marketing the game but they are not doing that at TSU. I know it hurts Courtney to see his team winning and no support. Down the road, the building is close to selling out on a consistent basis.

The 957 in the paper was not correct, I est. approx. 2000. The same paper listed PV vs GSU attendance at 1500. The TSU arena seats 8100 with Standing room only about 10,000. TSU Marketing is non existent. TSU situation is slightly different than most of its other SWAC brethen. The entertainment options in Houston are endless. This can not be said for other SWAC schools. In some cases if if were not for an athletic event on campus there would not be a lot to do. The situation is similar to my hometown, Nacogdoches, Texas. Our team could be 0 and 80 and the arena would be full. There was nothing else to do. However with all of this said, TSU will have to be pro active in there marketing. The atmosphere should duplicate the atmosphere at PV. We are not student friendly.

Texas Southern Marketing???

I didn't know we had a Marketing/Sports Information Department. Is this new or something to our Athletic Department? :smh:

No Jason Jenkins = Bad News

Back