www.nba.com/sonics/news/davidyoungfile.html

Height: 6-5
Weight: 205
High School: New Castle High School
College: Xavier, then North Carolina Central
Drafted: 2004 secound round (pick 41) by Seattle
Born: August 18, 1981, New Castle, PA
2004 Stats: 20.5 ppg, 4.8 rpg, 2.4 apg

When the Seattle SuperSonics made North Carolina Central guard David Young their third pick in the 2004 NBA Draft, number 41 overall, the reaction from fans and media alike at The Furtado Center was a collective, "Who?" Young didn't even get a write-up in the NBA's official draft guide, and when ESPN's Mike Tirico announced the pick, he said that Young was from North Carolina Charlotte.

Savvy hoop fans, however, have known for a while that Young was a sleeper in this year's draft.

"A lot of gym buzz late in the week focused on David Young, an unheralded player who reportedly rained shame on Kirk Snyder in a Seattle workout recently," reported HoopsHype.com's George Rodecker from Chicago earlier this month. "Young, a one-time Xavier player, finished up his college career at North Carolina Central in fine fashion. Known as D.Y., he may have originally been part of the workout schedule to push other players. But after the Snyder bashing, he?s continued to climb on several NBA teams list. Already he?s had solid workouts for the Lakers, Wizards and Rockets. One GM, choosing to remain anonymous, suggested that he may be drafted between 38 and 50. There are reports that the Spurs, Pistons and Heat may all bring him in, and Seattle wants another look. Young is a 80 percent free-throw shooter who hits for nearly 40 percent from long distance. He?s a mystery player and has captured a lot of attention as the draft draws near."

Yesterday, Rodecker was even more laudatory about Young.

"Last week, we mentioned North Carolina Central?s David Young was making inroads in his workouts and had attracted attention," he wrote. "He has continued his explosive debut on the workout trail. Second trips, impressive one-and-done visits and now Young is being mentioned as a late first-round sleeper with tremendous poise and work ethic. We?re hearing he may go as high as 27, but could fall to 44."

Young started his college career at Xavier as a Prop 48 player, leaving him ineligible as a freshman. During his second season of basketball, Young became a starter in all 30 games for the Musketeers and averaged 8.0 points and 3.6 rebounds per game. As a junior, however, Young lost playing time and left the team midway through the season. The breakup was not acrimonious, and Young was able to keep his scholarship and graduate from Xavier with a degree in criminal justice.

Granted an extra year of eligibility because he graduated in four years, Young wasn't quite ready to give up on college basketball. He landed at North Carolina Central thanks to a distant relationship with the school's Head Coach, Phil Spence, and a desire to play in the Central Intercollegiate Athletic Association. Because UNC Central is Division II, Young was immediately eligible, and he put together a fine senior season.

Young averaged 20.5 points per game on 49.5% shooting and was named All-CIAA. He also earned Black College All-Star Classic MVP honors by scoring 21 points in that game to lead his East team to an 82-80 victory.

Still, Young was only on the fringes of the NBA radar before he began working out for teams. It helped Young get a workout in Seattle that one of his assistant coaches at UNC Central was Sonics Coach Nate McMillan's older brother, Randy.

While not using the phrase "rained shame", the Sonics brass confirmed that Young impressed them during workouts.

"He is a tough defender and good scorer, he averaged 22 points (last season)," said McMillan. "He really competes when he?s out on the floor. His strength is just his mental toughness. He was all about business (when he worked out here). A few teams had him in twice to look at him and his workouts for us were really good. He was all business. Defensively, he can hold his own, and offensively, he?s a scorer. Looking at those factors and knowing we?re looking for that kind of toughness at (pick) 41, we felt like that was pretty good."

"We brought him in for a workout, liked him, and then brought him in for a second workout," added GM Rick Sund. "We liked him very much."

There are some similarities between Young's story and that of current Sonics guard Ronald "Flip" Murray. Murray played at Shawn University, which is also in the CIAA, and he was the 42nd pick two years ago before breaking out this season. The Sonics aren't expecting Young to be that pleasant of a surprise - but the possibility also can't be ruled out.

"He does have an opportunity to make our team," concluded McMillan. "We?ll look at him in summer league."

NCCU's David Young Drafted #41 By The Seattle Supersonics
http://www.nccu.edu/campus/athletics

N.C. Central also had a player drafted as shooting guard David Young, who spent his senior season with the Eagles after transferring from Xavier, went to the Seattle SuperSonics in the second round with the 41st pick.

Young, 6-5, is the first NCCU player drafted since 1983, when David Binion went in the 10th round to, coincidentally, the Supersonics as the 221st overall pick.

"I have endured and persevered through a lot of tough times," Young said Thursday night. "I have always dreamed about playing in the NBA. I got a second opportunity at North Carolina Central University and now my dream has come true."

URL for this article:
http://www.herald-sun.com/sports/18-494486.html

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
FEELING A DRAFT?

NCCU'S YOUNG SELECTED BY SEATTLE IN NBA DRAFT

Young Becomes School's First NBA Draft Pick in 21 Years

http://www.nccu.edu/campus/athletics/mbbhome.html

North Carolina Central University senior David Young had his dream fulfilled Thursday night when the Seattle Supersonics selected the All-CIAA guard with the 41st overall pick in the 2004 NBA Draft.

Young, NCCU's first NBA draft pick in 21 years, sat alone in an Atlanta hotel room when he saw his name flash on the television as the 12th player chosen in the second round. 'Wow," he said, "God is good."

After ending his college career as the Eagles' top scorer in 2003-04 with 20.5 points per game, Young faced a long and tough journey around the NBA workout circuit. He had workouts with the Houston Rockets (May 24), Washington Wizards (May 27), Los Angeles Lakers (May 28 and June 23), Seattle Supersonics (June 4 and June 19), Detroit Pistons (June 14), San Antonio Spurs (June 15), Dallas Mavericks (June 17), Miami Heat (June 21) and Atlanta Hawks (June 22).

"I knew I had real strong workouts with the Los Angeles Lakers, Miami and Seattle, and they all had good things to say about me," he said. "I felt it was just a matter of time."

"I have endured and persevered through a lot of tough times." Young said reflecting on his life and basketball career. "I have always dreamed about playing in the NBA. I got a second opportunity at North Carolina Central University and now my dream has come true."

Young came to NCCU via Xavier University, where he saw his playing time diminish after three seasons with the Musketeers. The 1999 Pennsylvania State Player of the Year made a big impact during his only season in Durham, becoming the first Eagle in 21 years to net more than 200 field goals in a single season.

Ironically, the last Eagle to accomplish that feat is also the school's last NBA draft pick. David Binion was chosen by Seattle in the 10th round as the 221st overall pick in the 1983 draft after averaging 22.4 points per contest and earning All-CIAA honors as a senior.

A year earlier, NCCU's Donald Sinclair was a 10th round selection (217 overall) by the Washington Bullets.

Then there was Joe Pridgen in 1969 (Round 18, San Diego Rockets), Lee Davis in 1968 (Round 10, Phoenix Suns), and Ted Manning, NCCU's all-time leading scorer, in 1965 (Round 5, Detroit Pistons).

Of course, the school's first and most notable NBA draftee came in 1957 when the Boston Celtics chose future Hall-of-Famer Sam Jones with the eighth pick in the first round of the draft.

Did you ever think you'd see the day when an NCCU player would get drafted and UNC wouldn't get ANY?

Actually, the increasing diversity of the draft should be used to the SWAC's advantage. A player CAN PLAY ANYWHERE and still get noticed. SWAC coaches should start getting aggressive and finding those blue chip players.

LaMont

From News & Observer Published: Jun 26, 2004
Modified: Jun 26, 2004 3:20 AM
http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/v-printer/story/1372125p-7495077c.html

Young restless no more
N.C. Central star goes in 2nd round

Young watched draft alone.
http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/v-more_photos/story/1372125p-7495077c.html

By SHEENA JOHNSON, Staff Writer

N.C. Central guard David Young was in Atlanta training Thursday morning, hoping he would get a chance at the NBA.

Thursday night, he did, when the Seattle SuperSonics picked him in the second round of the NBA Draft.

Young watched the draft alone from an Atlanta hotel room as NBA deputy commissioner Russ Granik announced his name.

"It's a dream come true," Young said. "I went to sleep thinking about it, and I woke up thinking about it.

"I not only wanted to make it to the NBA, but I want to be an impact player in the league."

Young, a native of New Castle, Pa., is the first Eagles player drafted by the NBA in 21 years and the sixth player ever drafted from NCCU. Central's David Binion was selected in the 10th round by Seattle in 1983.

Young, 6 feet 5 and 205 pounds, was the 41st overall pick and the only player from a historically black college selected.

Young had workouts with nine teams, including Seattle.

"Seattle felt like home," Young said. "I had a great workout there, and it felt like family. They gave me a warm greeting and they appreciated my game."

Young played three seasons at Xavier before transferring to NCCU because he was not playing as much as he wanted. He averaged 8.0 points in 2002 and 5.1 points in 2003 for Xavier.

In his one season with the Eagles, Young led N.C. Central in scoring at 20.5 points per game, which ranked third in the CIAA. His 594 points was second in school history, and he was the first Eagles player in 21 years to make more than 200 field goals in one season.

Young made All-CIAA and the All-CIAA Tournament team and was also named the MVP of the Black College All-Star Game.

Former NCCU head coach Phil Spence, who coached Young this past season, said, "I was pleasantly surprised to see his name across the screen.

"I wasn't sure because not many Division II or black college players get drafted, but I knew it was a strong possibility, and I'm glad to see things worked out for him."

Young has a chance to join former Shaw star Ronald Murray in Seattle.

"It's very exciting that he will join the ranks with fellow CIAA alumni that play in the NBA," CIAA director of fall and spring championships Monique Morgan said.

"[Young being drafted] confirms that CIAA and Division II players can make it to the next level."

Staff writer Sheena Johnson can be reached at 829-4560 or sheenaj@newsobserver.com

Young enjoys draft thrills

By MIKE POTTER : The Herald-Sun
mpotter@heraldsun; 419-6604
Jun 28, 2004 : 10:08 pm ET
http://www.herald-sun.com/sports/nccentral

N.C. Central's David Young wasn't at a big party Thursday night when the Seattle SuperSonics called his name in the second round of the NBA draft.

He was alone in an Atlanta hotel room, he said. But it wasn't long until he was in the middle of a telephone party of sorts. Young said he got "at least 50" calls on his cell phone within the first couple of hours after the Sonics called his name at pick No. 41 early in the second round.

Young, the first NCCU player selected in an NBA draft in 21 years, is one of two Eagles to be picked before the fifth round of that league's draft, which has gone only two rounds since 1989.

The other was Hall of Famer Sam Jones, the Boston Celtics' No. 8 draft pick in 1957.

Young was the only NCAA Division II player selected in the 2004 draft.

Young was in town Monday to visit his family and the NCCU basketball office. His mother, Melinda Rodriguez, sister Charity, one-year-old daughter Nia and Nia's mother Tionda Jennings all live in Durham.

"When I saw my name I said, 'Thank God!' " said Young, who watched as ESPN's Mike Tirico misinterpreted 'NCC' as North Carolina Charlotte instead of North Carolina Central. "I knew I was going to get drafted. It was just a great experience for me going through all my workouts and getting drafted. This has always been my dream, and it came true!"

Young said his dad, David Sr., follows his career avidly over the Internet and was watching intently when he saw his name come up. And his mom was pretty excited, too.

"She was probably more excited about it than I was," Young said with a laugh.

Young came to NCCU after graduating from Xavier with a year of eligibility remaining. He was free to use that year at a Division II school if he didn't return to the Musketeers.

The New Castle, Pa., product and 1999 Pennsylvania high school player of the year made a big impact during his only season in Durham, becoming the first NCCU player in 21 years to hit more than 200 field goals in a season.

The 6-5, 208-pounder is a shooting guard after playing every position but center for the 16-13 Eagles, who came within one win of a Western Division championship and played in their first CIAA Tournament final since 2000.

Young made both the all-conference and all-tournament teams after averaging 20.5 points per game.

Then his stock really started to rise. Along with his workouts with the Sonics on June 4 and again on the 19th, he made visits to Houston (May 24), Washington (May 27), the Los Angeles Lakers (May 28 and June 23), Detroit (June 14), San Antonio (June 15), Dallas (June 17), Miami (June 21) and Atlanta (June 22).

"I thought it was great," former Eagles coach Phil Spence, who was fired after the season ended, said of Young's selection. "I'm really happy for DY."

Spence, a member of N.C. State's 1974 NCAA championship team that ended UCLA's legendary seven-year title run, was himself picked in the sixth round of the 1976 draft by the Milwaukee Bucks.

"David is a really hard worker," Spence said. "He's strong, tough, has great body control and is a very good shooter. Every time we needed a shot at the end of a game, the ball was in his hands."

Spence noted the connection between his program and the Sonics, since his volunteer assistant Randy McMillan is the brother of Seattle head coach Nate McMillan.

"I was really excited," said NCCU assistant coach MarQus Johnson, a holdover from Spence's staff. "I'm happy for him after all the hard work he's done, and it's a great thing for the university, too.

"I think if he hadn't gotten picked by Seattle, there were a lot of other teams lined up to take him later."

Young said he had a lot of fun traveling to the tryouts, where he got to stay in the best hotels and could order whatever he wanted for dinner.

"Flying all around the country wasn't that fun, but I need to get used to it with an 82-game schedule," Young said.

The Sonics' first pick was 7-0 high school center Robert Swift, so Young is the team's top rookie candidate in the backcourt.

"I think I've got a realistic shot at making it," Young said. "Richie Frahm went to Charlotte in the expansion draft and Brent Barry is a free agent. I just know I have a lot of hard work to do."

The last Eagle selected in the draft before Young was David Binion, chosen by the same Sonics in the 10th round as the 221st overall pick in the 1983 draft after averaging 22.4 points per contest and earning All-CIAA honors as a senior.

A year earlier, NCCU's Donald Sinclair was a 10th round selection (217th overall) by the Washington Bullets. Joe Pridgen was selected in 1969 (Round 18, San Diego Rockets), Lee Davis in 1968 (Round 10, Phoenix Suns), and Ted Manning, NCCU's all-time leading scorer, in 1965 (Round 5, Detroit Pistons).

URL For This Article:
http://www.herald-sun.com/sports/nccentral/40-495664.html

Back