NCAT Swimming Team to Disband

In_The_662

Deeeeep In The Delta.....
The bolded sounds familiar...

"The women on North Carolina A&T’s swimming team don’t believe that the school is headed in that direction, but they do acknowledge that there are changes on campus. Aarica Carrington, the team’s co-captain, mentions Preeminence 2020, an initiative by the college to market themselves to a larger, more diverse group of students."

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...-leaves-behind-unique-legacy?CMP=share_btn_fb

To put it very simple and I hate to say it but if we are to survive all public (and most private) HBCUs will have to diversify it's enrollment to increase and in some instances maintain state funding.

To put it very simple and I hate to say it but if we are to survive all public (and most private) HBCUs will have to diversify it's enrollment to increase and in some instances maintain state funding.

One would think they would've been on top of this leaving the 1960s to mid-1970s. smh They, all of them, collectively started very very very LATE, imho. Those of us who are the "assimilated" kids were in full-force by the mid 1980s and called for the push back then. s....m.....h...... geez......

Well most states are giving more funding to public HBCUS, to diversify the enrollment, and the way funding is now, HBCUS would be a fool not to go look for diversity in their enrollment

I think we can diversify to a point and still keep our culture. Hell......................"our" culture is already prominent throughout all races and ethnicities.

They may have residual effects of our culture, but its not close to the same as being "us"

HBCU culture is dying a slow, painful death. The schools may survive, but the soul injected into them by black folks won't last much longer
That's kinda' sorta' almost paradoxical to what whites were prolly saying when the threat of "integration" was lingering w/ them in the 1950s and 1960s. But, those powers in charge of their diggs understood the future implications for funding and PROBABLE notoriety (fiscal, athletic, and academic growths) that would exist if they "integrated," especially on the fields of athletic play. Look @ how it has paid dividends over for them thrice-fold hundreds of thousands millions+ over the last 4 decades. For quite a few, it paid off handsomely especially as their athletic coffers floweth over so much so until they financed their academic dreams and endeavors at will.

I contend that HBCUs should've stuck contra-likewise and went after their best and brightest as well START to formulate a plan to attract our best and brightest blacks, while still preserving their HBCU culture. If "it," religious white-flight, occurs @ the current rampant pace for htown, Houston will sprawl all the way to austin and college station lol. Right smack dab in the middle of both is PVAMU. We had and needed to change to be competitive in luring students.

I read NCAT's 2020 plan and what stood out to me was that the goal to reach a certain enrollment number (15K I think) plus a certain percentage of non-black enrollment. The enrollment number was calculated with ZERO projected growth in black students. All of the additional students were projected (hoped) to be non-black. Not a good goal to have as an HBCU.

I read NCAT's 2020 plan and what stood out to me was that the goal to reach a certain enrollment number (15K I think) plus a certain percentage of non-black enrollment. The enrollment number was calculated with ZERO projected growth in black students. All of the additional students were projected (hoped) to be non-black. Not a good goal to have as an HBCU.

That's abandoning the purpose. I doubt it gets carried out

That's why I bolded the quote in my original post. Nothing wrong with diversifying but don't lose your identity either. These PWIs aren't going out of the way to diversify to include us (outside of the best and enough to continue getting federal money)

We hope to bring back the Swimming team in a few years but it is something that needed to occur so we could expand our Athletic Department. I remember seeing the Swim team petition to keep the team alive a few GHOE's ago when the decision was made.

Hopefully we can parlay this into an expansion into Lacrosse.

And yes, our Preeminence 2020 initiative is a strategy needed in the current NC political environment.

Back