Ncaa D-1AA Playoff Brackets

Good to see BCC get to host a playoff game, they also get to go against Coach Schellenbarger(sp) and Fl Atl. There is even a slight possibility that NCA&T and BCC could meet in the championship game since they are in different brackets.

I-AA championship bracket announced
Philadelphia, PA (Sports Network)
- The NCAA announced the field of 16 teams competing for the 2003 Division I-AA Football Championship on Sunday.

Eight of the 16 teams were automatic qualifiers (the champions of the Atlantic 10, Big Sky, Gateway, MEAC, Ohio Valley, Patriot, Southern and Southland conferences) and eight were chosen as at-large entries.

McNeese State University (10-1) is the top-seeded team in the field and garnered an automatic bid after winning the Southland Conference.

The University of Delaware (11-1), the number-two seed, won the Atlantic 10 Conference to gain entry to the tournament, while third-seeded Wofford (10-1) earned a spot by taking the Southern Conference title. The fourth and final seed is Patriot League champion Colgate (12-0).

Other automatic qualifiers were MEAC champs North Carolina A&T (10-2); Ohio Valley Conference titleholders Jacksonville State University (8-3) and Northern Iowa (9-2), winners of the Gateway conference.

Earning at-larger bids were defending national champion Western Kentucky (8-3), Montana (9-2), Bethune-Cookman (9-2), Florida Atlantic (9-2), Northern Arizona (8-3), the University of Massachusetts (10-2), Western Illinois (8-3), Southern Illinois (10-1).

All 16 teams play first-round games on Saturday, November 29.

The 2003 NCAA Division I-AA Football Championship game is slated for Friday, December 19, at W. Max Finley Stadium/Davenport Field in Chattanooga, Tennessee.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
I expect a lot out of Wofford emotionally especially since they were left out of the playoffs last year.

The SWAC should really consider going in to the playoffs. We always talk about getting our name out there. Here's our chance.

Originally posted by Dr. Sweet NUPE
The SWAC should really consider going in to the playoffs. We always talk about getting our name out there. Here's our chance.

I think there could be a compromise. If the playoffs were moved back a week, then the SCG could be done away with. With everybody playing everybody already, it loses some luster.

There was a way a rematch could've been avoided this year....if JSU would've played PV in the SCG.....lol

Originally posted by Olde Hornet
I disagree Dr. Sweet NUPE - The playoffs are a money losing proposition.

It's a give and take...which is more important...School recognition or finances...we have to define how competitive we (SWAC schools) are. We can't do this by having majority games with ourselves.

Exactly which SWAC school is lacking for recogniton DSN? If that is your only logic about the playoffs, then I totally disagree. We aren't any different from all schools, in that football is our money maker. Look at UConn. They have a basketball team that has won a national title, and compepte for one year in and year out, yet they are desperate to get their football team off teh ground and running. Why? Because football makes money, and money helps schools function. Yes, recognoition helps in that venture, but the 1-AA playoffs aren't providing that much exposure...even to the Champion. And it is well documented that it porvides no finacial incentive....

SUGE IS RIGHT . GRAM NEEDS TO STAY CLEAR OF TEH PLAYOFFS UNTIL THEY GET TEH MONEY THING RIGHT . TEAMS PAY TO PLAY IN THE PLAYOFFS . GATE RECEIPTS ARE MOSTLY TAKEN BY 1AA . MCNEESE WAS SAYING IN MY HOEM PAPER TEH AMERICAN PRESS HOW THE GATES JUST ARE NOT RIGHT .I READ TODAY IN LCAP HOW THEY ARE HOPING BCC WOULD WIN TO BRING A BIG DRAW TO LAKE CHARLES. THAT'S THE ONLY REASON WHY THEY HOPE THEY WIN . ONCE AGAIN USING US TO THEIR FULL ADVANTAGE. I USE TO THINK LIEK THAT TO . GET TEH NAME OF GRAM OUT . BUT IT IS ALREADY OUT EVERYWHERE INTHE WORLD ESP THIS COUNTRY.I THINK NOW WE NEED TO GET BACK TO THE HERITAGE BOWL . SOMETHING THAT BENEFITS BOTH PARTIES INVOLVED . JUST CHANGE PLACES TO AS SMALLER VINUE UNTIL FANBASE GROWS AGAIN . FORGET THE PLAYOFFS UNTIL THEY START PAYING TEMAS CORRECT SHARE. IWAS SUPRISED TO SEE BCC HAD A HOME GAME IN THE FIRST ROUND. THAT'S A START IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION FOR 1AA. I WAS ALSO URPRISED THEY DID NOT HAVE TO PLAY FAMU OR A&T . I SAY LIEK DOUG SCREW THE PLAYOFFS UNTIL THEY START PAYING ALL TEAM SRIGHT INSTEAD OF TAKIGN ALMSOT ALL THE GATE RECIEPTS. THIS IS WHY TEH CLASSIC SO IMPORTANT.OTEHR PWC 1AA AND SOME SMALL 1A PWC ENVY GRAM AND SU AND OTHE RHBCU CLASSIC. OUR NAME IS OUTHERE AND OTHERS ARE OTUTHERE ALSO . WE JUST NEED TO SUPPORT US FIRST AND THEN BRANCH OUT TO HELP OTHER PWC ONCE THEY GET THEIR BUSINESS STRAIGHT AT TEH GATES. AS FOR AS ENTERTAINING THEIR CROWDS AT PLAYOFF GAMES WHERE WE WON'T GET ANYHTING FORM IT BUT A MAYBE WIN I CAN'T SEE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!I KNOW DOUG WILL NEVER SEE IT UNTIL THEY CHANGE IT !!!

I'm soooo sick of hearing people talk about the playoffs as a tool to see how our schools will do against others, fist of all you don't need the playoffs for that just put one or two on the schedule.

Second, why in the hell jump in a system that it has already been annouce confs. are getting out of because of the pimping by the Ncaa.

Thirdly, "ATTENTION"? Aren't you the "ICON" sounds like an oxymoron to me, but seriously that's lame our conf. get just as much attention as any in some cases more, if it wasn't for the playoffs you wouldn't know diddly about most of these schools you want to play and the "Big3" definitely ain't straving for no attention.

I agree a playoff system doesn't really help the team financially because most of the gate receipts go to the NCAA. This is just like the playoffs in high school... all of the receipts go to the league not the school. The main issue is bragging rights. Many of the schools in the 1AA playoffs recruit heavily in California and on their letterhead it states .... 1AA champion 19XX, 2XXX, etc. We do not need to join a playoff to get recognition, just schedule some of these teams... McNeese, Montana, Northern Arizona, and kick their bu*(. This will help in the recognition, recruiting, and the respect nation wide.

Back