NBA & NCCU Hall of Famer Sam Jones Dies at 88

EagleWing

A loss for the NCCU community, may he Rest in Peace.

Sam Jones, a clutch scorer who won 10 titles with the Boston Celticsduring their dynasty in the late 1950s and 1960s, has died at the age of 88.

Jones died Thursday night in Florida, where he had been hospitalized in failing health, Celtics spokesperson Jeff Twiss said. The team held a moment of silence for Jones before Friday's game against the Phoenix Suns.

"Sam Jones was one of the most talented, versatile, and clutch shooters for the most successful and dominant teams in NBA history," the Celtics said in a statement. "His scoring ability was so prolific, and his form so pure, that he earned the simple nickname, 'The Shooter.' ... The Jones family is in our thoughts as we mourn his loss and fondly remember the life and career of one of the greatest champions in American sports."

I ran across a tweet that said that he may have been underrated even for a hall of famer. I can go along with that statement.

I enjoyed him when he did color commentary on BET during the '90s. He talked about Morgan State, a last place team, often and said watch out for them. So what did Morgan do? They defeated Coppin in the MEAC tournament, which was as big of an upset in any conference tournament that year.

Rest in peace.

😇😇😇

A Celtics who knew that the fundamental purpose was achievement through any human endeavor!

Back