NBA-Ex Robert Reid Among Prairie View Finalists

C-LeB28

By RICHARD DEAN
Copyright 2002 Houston Chronicle

Former Rockets star Robert Reid is one of eight finalists for the vacant head men's basketball coaching position at Prairie View A&M, something athletic director Charles McClelland would neither confirm nor deny.

"We have not had any (face-to-face) contact with Robert Reid one way or the other," McClelland said Monday night. "The only contact we've had with Mr. Reid is receiving his application."

Reid submitted one of more than 75 applications to replace Elwood Plummer, who was fired three weeks ago.

According to sources, also on the short list to take over the Southwestern Athletic Conference program is Hightower coach Greg Wise.

"I think I bring the total picture," Wise said Monday night. "I can recruit, I'm from the area. Prairie View is a good opportunity."

Arizona assistant and former Kingwood product Josh Pastner said he was not one of the final eight. Pastner was a finalist at Texas Southern last year, but lost out to Ronnie Courtney.

McClelland said hiring a new coach takes time.

"We're doing things in a way that we hire the right coach," McClelland said. "We don't want to overlook anyone and make any mistakes."

McClelland said he has yet to contact all eight finalists. After phone interviews, the applicants' list will be cut to three or four and they will be brought on campus for interviews.

Reid played college ball at St. Mary's in San Antonio and for the Rockets from 1977-82. Reid currently helps out the basketball program at Westfield High School.

However, McClelland said name recognition is not a main criteria for PV's new coach.

This is one reason why I don't like the Houston Chronicle. Pastner was not a finalist for our position nor was he even interviewed for the position. The media fictiously portrayed him as to be a front runner for the position when that was never the case. Now here they come with this.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
You shold have heard them idiots on 610sports last week when Pastner was not announced as a finalist. They were bashing Reid left and right. I don't particularly endorse him but he does have better creditials than Pastner.

as a writer, folks tell me not to print stuff unless you have legitimate sources. The Chronicle is so desperate for a story they have to find unnamed sources.

C-leb, what did I tell you yesterday? Reid has talked himself out of the job just like Pastner. He's an idiot for going public and admitting he is a finalist before an official list is published. Now PV folks will find out and bash his ass to death.

Reid can recruit? Recruit what? He is a volunteer at Westfield and did nothing but hold a clipboard.

The dark horse candidate is a frat brother of McClelland and the most interesting candidate is a college coach from Austin.

Check this out, Pastner will be named the third assistant at Oregan State. He can legally recruit and legally be on the court.

He quickly took that job.

He knew his time was up at Arizona, they don't keep those grad asst's holding those video cameras for more than a few years....

:lmao: :lmao:

Personally,
My Top three choices would be

1. The Guy from Umass
2. Greg Wise
3. The Coach from Huston-Tillotson

Originally posted by The Panther Fan
Check this out, Pastner will be named the third assistant at Oregan State. He can legally recruit and legally be on the court.

I wonder why Oregon State didn't accept him for the head coaching position?

He's got the credentials right?

He can recruit right?

He's got carisma right?

He's got the AAU pipeline right?

Originally posted by C-LeB28

He's got the credentials right?

He can recruit right?

He's got carisma right?

He's got the AAU pipeline right?

Right on all four counts. It will be interesting to see how or where his career goes from here.

An African American with the same credenitials could not obain an interview for a High School Head coaching job.

Davey Whitney, Robert Moreland and many other qualified African American coaches could not obtain consideration for a majority
coaching position. I think Pastner should have considered applying for an asst. coaching job at either P.V. or T.S.U. I think it is a slap in the face for all HBCU for this even to be a discussion point.

Originally posted by East Tex Tiger
An African American with the same credenitials could not obain an interview for a High School Head coaching job.

Davey Whitney, Robert Moreland and many other qualified African American coaches could not obtain consideration for a majority
coaching position. I think Pastner should have considered applying for an asst. coaching job at either P.V. or T.S.U. I think it is a slap in the face for all HBCU for this even to be a discussion point.

It is certainly more difficult when trying to start out and break into a new career. All of the expressions that I have shared to this point were faceless. If the applicant had been Black and had the same credentials as Pastner, I would have been of the same opinion, perhaps would have pushed even more so.

Wise is not a finalist also.

I am unsure of this "search committee" as I type. I will find out who is on there. Finding that out will let me know what boneheads are deciding.

By us cutting Wise, Houston recruits who were waiting for him can now breathe and move on elsewhere. We just gave TSU the upper hand again.

Originally posted by The Panther Fan

He's not at Oregon St, he was promoted at ASU...

Wednesday, April 10

Arizona's Pastner promoted to assistant coach

------------------------------------------------------------------
Associated Press

TUCSON, Ariz. -- Josh Pastner, who came to Arizona as a non-scholarship player because he wanted to be a basketball coach, was promoted to assistant coach by coach Lute Olson on Wednesday.

Pastner, who had been an undergraduate assistant since 2000, fills the vacancy created when Jay John was named head coach at Oregon State on Tuesday.

Pastner, 24, played at Arizona from 1996-2000.

"Josh has been intimately involved with this program for six years," Olson said. "One of his goals was to be a full-time assistant here, and his persistence has paid off. We feel that Josh is an excellent addition to the staff and his tireless efforts will benefit the program for years to come."

Pastner will coordinate recruiting efforts and work with the program's big men, duties similar to those of John.

"It's a wonderful opportunity for me," Pastner said.

Pastner received his undergraduate degree in 2? years and his master's the following year. He now is working on his doctorate. In his role as undergraduate assistant last year, he began working on another undergraduate degree.

He wasn't even a graduate assistant, but a undergraduate assistant....:smh:

Back