Navigating Mixed Messages About HIV

The Founder

Extremely interesting and well written.

https://www.poz.com/blog/navigating...ign=Sergeant+With+HIV+Sues+Defense+Department

Describing the impact of HIV is complicated. It’s a balancing act whose language depends on who is listening. But can we navigate that turf—or those turfs—with honesty, credibility and integrity?

To a newly diagnosed person, we stress the normalcy of life with HIV, that a person diagnosed at 20 can expect to live to 70 and beyond. We suggest that treatment is easy today, with side effects unlikely. The message is bouncy and business as usual, with a few pesky reminders about adherence—and about disclosure where required by law.

To the HIV-negative person, it’s quite different; we make clear that HIV is a disease to be avoided at all costs.

To those who fund us, the message we send is that HIV remains a pandemic and a threat that must be wrestled to the ground at any cost.

We argue among ourselves over whether HIV really is a “chronic manageable condition.” We argue over whether stigma is better or worse than it once was.

Few though make the case that HIV is an ordinary disease. It never has been. As World Health Organization put it: “HIV, with its long incubation period, its multiple modes of often intimate transmission, and its defiance of monumental efforts to develop a vaccine and a definitive cure, is one of the most complex, the most challenging and arguably the most devastating of all infectious diseases that humanity has ever had to face.”

Also unique to HIV is criminalization and a host of societal ills that both act as a cultivator for HIV and worsen its impact. There is inequality, and there is unfairness. There is shame, there is self-stigma. There are workplace and housing issues and gender issues and race issues and access to treatment issues. HIV is one complicated disease.

that was well written and interesting. It does seem a lot different now to the point of it isn't discussed as much hope that isn't hurting prevention

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
that was well written and interesting. It does seem a lot different now to the point of it isn't discussed as much hope that isn't hurting prevention

I think that now it is being treated as a chronic disease similar to diabetes. MANY persons who are HIV positive are having children, spouses and partners are not HIV positive, and living normal lives. Though you still have fear mongers that stir the stigma, HIV persons are living fairly normal lives.

I think that now it is being treated as a chronic disease similar to diabetes. MANY persons who are HIV positive are having children, spouses and partners are not HIV positive, and living normal lives. Though you still have fear mongers that stir the stigma, HIV persons are living fairly normal lives.

Because HIV is a blood-borne pathogen (disease causing microorganisms transmitted through blood and/or other body fluids, amniotic fluid, semen and/or vaginal fluids), and because of how it's transmitted, it is considered as an INFECTIOUS disease and is treated as such. Once an HIV+ person has an abnormal CD4:CD8 ratio, that person now has AIDS, and is now considered to have a chronic disease, as well as considered to be immunocompromised. I could be wrong, but I believe HIV+ persons have to be registered with the State Health Department (Infection Control).

There are many tests that detect HIV (HIV screens, ELISA or EIA (enzyme immunoassay), CMIA chemiluminescent microparticle immunoassay, HIV viral load, CD4 profile and/or calculation of CD4:CD8 ratio using a person's lab work). There are even confirmatory tests to detect HIV (Western Blot, Southern Blot). With the exception of the confirmatory tests, all these are done at the lab where I work.

Regarding the "fear mongers that stir stigma"..........I believe that education (or lack thereof) of HIV/AIDS has played a part in the stigma associated with the virus and disease. However, I don't believe that is the main cause behind the stigma. There have been a lot of folks who KNOW/KNEW they were HIV+ and knowingly infected others. Regardless of whether a condom was used, these persons STILL chose NOT to disclose their HIV status. You still have more of these kinds of unscrupulous people out here living with HIV, being treated for HIV, and still intentionally infecting folks with HIV. Therein lies another reason behind the stigma.

Last edited:
Because HIV is a blood-borne pathogen (disease causing microorganisms transmitted through blood and/or other body fluids, amniotic fluid, semen and/or vaginal fluids), and because of how it's transmitted, it is considered as an INFECTIOUS disease and is treated as such. Once an HIV+ person has an abnormal CD4:CD8 ratio, that person now has AIDS, and is now considered to have a chronic disease, as well as considered to be immunocompromised. I could be wrong, but I believe HIV+ persons have to be registered with the State Health Department (Infection Control).

There are many tests that detect HIV (HIV screens, ELISA or EIA (enzyme immunoassay), CMIA chemiluminescent microparticle immunoassay, HIV viral load, CD4 profile and/or calculation of CD4:CD8 ratio using a person's lab work). There are even confirmatory tests to detect HIV (Western Blot, Southern Blot). With the exception of the confirmatory tests, all these are done at the lab where I work.

Regarding the "fear mongers that stir stigma"..........I believe that education (or lack thereof) of HIV/AIDS has played a part in the stigma associated with the virus and disease. However, I don't believe that is the main cause behind the stigma. There have been a lot of folks who KNOW/KNEW they were HIV+ and knowingly infected others. Regardless of whether a condom was used, these persons STILL chose NOT to disclose their HIV status. You still have more of these kinds of unscrupulous people out here living with HIV, being treated for HIV, and still intentionally infecting folks with HIV. Therein lies another reason behind the stigma.

The stigma of the disease will never change because of the way it is transmitted.

The other issue is when people do come out to the public the ridicule that they receive causes a ton of feelings. I have listened to people state that a HIV person should be required to have some type of physical identifier that the public can see to even stating that all HIV persons should be rounded up an placed in one area.

It is extremely hard when you have kids who have grown up during the 80's infected with the disease. Some with open minds yourself may feel different but the world is not filled with compassionate individuals like yourself.

Like I said, a HIV person under the proper medical care and consistent with taking their medication can live a normal life.

@The Founder the stigma associated with HIV/AIDS won’t change because there will ALWAYS be people who 1) choose to remain in their ignorance and lack of education about HIV/AIDS, 2) continue to remain in fear and not take a test to know their status, and 3) continue to knowingly infect others with HIV. I firmly believe in the use of condoms, but I could not consciously have unprotected sex with a man KNOWING full well that I’m HIV+ AND NOT TELL HIM! As long as there are people like that in the world or like the others I mentioned, the stigma will NOT go away. There are various ways HIV is transmitted, one of which is through blood transfusion of infected blood. Working in Blood Bank, I see no shortage of transfusions being performed; quite the opposite. And since there are places that give clean/bleached needles to drug addicts, we see less transmission from intravenous drug use. And while sexual transmission has decreased significantly, it is still the most common method of transmission.

I’m a Medical Technologist and my job is to perform clinical and analytical tests for diagnosis. But on occasion, I also perform phlebotomy, so I’m required to interact with our patients. I also give semi-annual/annual HCV and HIV screens to our homeless veterans. Where I work and other places I’ve worked, I get to talk with HIV+ people. I’ve heard their stories. I’ve celebrated with those who no longer have to take the PEPs or PrEPs. But it’s troubling when I listen to one tell how they got infected behind their spouse’s infedelities, or when I draw blood from another who’s HIV+ but tells me his wife doesn’t know and begs me not to tell her what type of tests he’s having. The ridicule and shame they experienced didn’t come the fact they have HIV, but from the dishonesty and deceit they did that led to contracting it. That’s an ugly truth, but it’s the truth nonetheless.

I just thank God I’m able to continue to be educated on HIV. I’m thankful I’ve received and continue to receive training on it and able to treat patients the same regardless. That’s why education is so important and why I have absolutely no problem working with HIV-infected blood and/or body fluids.

Last edited:
@The Founder the stigma associated with HIV/AIDS won’t change because there will ALWAYS be people who 1) choose to remain in their ignorance and lack of education about HIV/AIDS, 2) continue to remain in fear and not take a test to know their status, and 3) continue to knowingly infect others with HIV. I firmly believe in the use of condoms, but I could not consciously have unprotected sex with a man KNOWING full well that I’m HIV+ AND NOT TELL HIM! As long as there are people like that in the world or like the others I mentioned, the stigma will NOT go away. There are various ways HIV is transmitted, one of which is through blood transfusion of infected blood. Working in Blood Bank, I see no shortage of transfusions being performed; quite the opposite. And since there are places that give clean/bleached needles to drug addicts, we see less transmission from intravenous drug use. And while sexual transmission has decreased significantly, it is still the most common method of transmission.

I’m a Medical Technologist and my job is to perform clinical and analytical tests for diagnosis. But on occasion, I also perform phlebotomy, so I’m required to interact with our patients. I also give semi-annual/annual HCV and HIV screens to our homeless veterans. Where I work and other places I’ve worked, I get to talk with HIV+ people. I’ve heard their stories. I’ve celebrated with those who no longer have to take the PEPs or PrEPs. But it’s troubling when I listen to one tell how they got infected behind their spouse’s infedelities, or when I draw blood from another who’s HIV+ but tells me his wife doesn’t know and begs me not to tell her what type of tests he’s having. The ridicule and shame they experienced didn’t come the fact they have HIV, but from the dishonesty and deceit they did that led to contracting it. That’s an ugly truth, but it’s the truth nonetheless.

I just thank God I’m able to continue to be educated on HIV. I’m thankful I’ve received and continue to receive training on it and able to treat patients the same regardless. That’s why education is so important and why I have absolutely no problem working with HIV-infected blood and/or body fluids.

One of things that I often do when doing outreach is to really focus on safe sex and treatment. Many times people reach to those infected but let's be honest with ourselves....people fear the unknown. One of things is I'm living example of the good, the bad, and the ugly of the disease. Trying to determine where the stigma comes from is like trying to determine which came first the chicken or the egg. In short it's situational.

It takes understanding rather than persecution. It also takes mental health treatment which I advocate STRONGLY when someone has this disease. I myself periodically speaks to a counselor in order to maintain my sanity while helping others.

We just have to move past the persecution which forces people to hide their disease. We need more funding for counseling and mental health.

One of things that I often do when doing outreach is to really focus on safe sex and treatment. Many times people reach to those infected but let's be honest with ourselves....people fear the unknown. One of things is I'm living example of the good, the bad, and the ugly of the disease. Trying to determine where the stigma comes from is like trying to determine which came first the chicken or the egg. In short it's situational.

It takes understanding rather than persecution. It also takes mental health treatment which I advocate STRONGLY when someone has this disease. I myself periodically speaks to a counselor in order to maintain my sanity while helping others.

We just have to move past the persecution which forces people to hide their disease. We need more funding for counseling and mental health.

When I perform outreach through my job , I focus on treatment as well. I’ve been administering HIV and HCV screens now for 7 years and unfortunately there are quite a few who fail to get treatment. I’m there with an Advanced Nurse Practitioner (APN) who specializes in Infection Control, and a mental health LCSW. Onsite treatment is available, as well as counseling and consultation. A few take the treatments and counseling and come back for their 3- and/or 6- month follow-up. Most, however, don’t. They take the snacks and condoms we provide, but not the treatments. We don’t see them until a year (or 2) later. When asked if they sought treatment or medical care, “no” is the answer. When asked if they’ve been having sex, “yes” from quite a few, “no” from others. The facility where I perform the HIV/HCV screens in a walk-in Day Treatment Center, AND IT’S FREE! The center is staffed with mental health workers, LCSWs, APNs, RNs, LPNs, and other healthcare professionals. In addition to treatment, counseling, supplemental info, breakfast and lunch is provided and clothes/toiletries/blankets are available.

I think society has moved past persecution when it comes to the subject of those who are HIV+. It’s too much education out here on HIV, AIDS, STDs, hepatitis, diabetes, cancer, strokes and many other diseases and health disorders for ignorance to be blamed. There are facilities that offer treatment, education, and support; may not be a whole lot, but they’re out here. My church holds a yearly health fair; I initiated the idea to include sickle cell and HCV screens along with the HIV, prostrate, cholesterol, glucose, and mammograms we offer. We have licensed doctors, APNs, RNs, LCSWs, nutritionists, and Medical Technologists on site. We also have job training, seat belt safety, nutrition/diet info, exercise/fitness sessions, vaccinations from the AR Health Dept, the LRPD/NLRPD are on hand for questions/concerns. So, there are avenues out there for counseling and mental health. But just like anything in life that requires commitment and continuous effort, the question is: How bad do you want it?

I think society has moved past persecution when it comes to the subject of those who are HIV+.

I fully disagree with this statement-the only statement I disagree with. You can look at comments on this page and see if society has moved past persecution. Though this an extremely small percentage we have educated people on this board who won't touch the subject, Case and point look at our discussion. Though we have disagreed we have respectfully discussed it. You speak from a medical perspective and I speak from 3 different perspectives, all personal. Yet, only one response from someone else.

Now if this was about R Kelly being HIV positive we would 8 pages.

Funny story....I work out 6 days a week. I have lost 10 pounds. Do you know a few people called my mother and asked if I was sick? I'm HIV+ and people have called my mom to see if my wife was? Yet, would not call me. That is form of stigma and persecution.

Heck I'm working out to make sure my diabetes and blood pressure remain under control as I get older knowing that I am high risk for both.

Like I said earlier you speak from a perspective of being educated on the subject and working in direct contact with HIV positive persons. Many people don't even want to get that close.

@The Founder

What you’re doing is helping tremendously when it comes to counseling. It would be great if you knew a LCSW who specializes in mental health who would be willing to assist you with this. It may be a small start but:

“Never doubt that a small group of people of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it is the only thing that ever has”

-Margaret Meade

@The Founder

What you’re doing is helping tremendously when it comes to counseling. It would be great if you knew a LCSW who specializes in mental health who would be willing to assist you with this. It may be a small start but:

“Never doubt that a small group of people of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it is the only thing that ever has”

-Margaret Meade

Thanks. There is just more dialogue needed. I had a chance to talk to the District Attorney in Pulaski County a few months ago and the conversation was interesting concerning the Criminalization of HIV. Perspectives that their office was unaware of and how to handle it. He saw me on CNN a few months ago and reached out to me.

I actually deal with 4 of them.

One of them I asked to work with women, another with men (straight), another with men (gay/bisexual), and another with college students.

I have a HIVAIDS Foundation but my sister and I are revamping it to focus on overall men's health.

http://money.cnn.com/this-is-sex-with-lisa-ling/

I fully disagree with this statement-the only statement I disagree with. You can look at comments on this page and see if society has moved past persecution. Though this an extremely small percentage we have educated people on this board who won't touch the subject, Case and point look at our discussion. Though we have disagreed we have respectfully discussed it. You speak from a medical perspective and I speak from 3 different perspectives, all personal. Yet, only one response from someone else.

Now if this was about R Kelly being HIV positive we would 8 pages.

Funny story....I work out 6 days a week. I have lost 10 pounds. Do you know a few people called my mother and asked if I was sick? I'm HIV+ and people have called my mom to see if my wife was? Yet, would not call me. That is form of stigma and persecution.

Heck I'm working out to make sure my diabetes and blood pressure remain under control as I get older knowing that I am high risk for both.

Like I said earlier you speak from a perspective of being educated on the subject and working in direct contact with HIV positive persons. Many people don't even want to get that close.

Yes, we disagree on some things. I have 2 cousins, one on both sides of my blood, who are HIV+. One contracted it through his lifestyle
(he is gay); the other through a contaminated blood transfusion (she has sickle cell). I love them both very much, so honestly the thought of them being HIV+ has no bearing on me or our family or their church members and co-workers. Both receive care and treatment without having to hide personal information. And neither have to use a false name for insurance purposes. So, while I’m close to both cousins, I don’t look at this from a personal view because I love them so much. My profession and education and training is what makes me look at this from a professional view.

I admit also that we (respectfully) disagree on the issue regarding the stigma associated with HIV+ people. I haven’t been on the Forums as long as you have, so I don’t know of all the past posts that may have targeted this subject. It was only a few years after I joined the Forums did I know you were HIV+. There have been some posts since my joining that suggest tensions between you and other members about this subject but again, those happened before I joined. I don’t know the specifics NOR do I care to know.

Our disagreement comes from the stigma. I could care less about how a person became HIV+. My issue is what that person chooses to do with that information once THEY fully realize (medically) diagnosed. I agree that any medical condition is private (firmly believe in HIPAA). But I do not condone HIV+ infected persons WHO KNOWINGLY INFECT OTHERS! And there have been threads on this Forum (since I joined in 2009) about people who have done this, and it’s still going on today. With all due respect Founder, I have read numerous times your posts about the persecution HIV+ people experience. Some of it is downright disgusting and cruel. But I seldom see this from you when it comes those twisted individuals who don’t have regard to others people and health who knowingly sexually transmit HIV to others. I hope you forgive if you have voiced your views against those types of people. But anyone who can transmit HIV to others SHOULD face jail/prison time. The argument about condoms can come up all day long, but if an HIV+ person knowingly infects other and chooses NOT to disclose their status, THAT IS WRONG! Like or not, it’s wrong. And I wholeheartedly believe that is why there is a stigma behind HIV/AIDS. I believe that once a person knowingly and maliciously and intentionally infects others, rights to privacy are gone!

If someone wants to sleep with an HIV+ person once it’s disclosed, let them make that choice. Don’t make the choice for them. And there have been many cases where people have married/dated known HIV+ people and NOT suffer persecution. So, status disclosure has proven to be beneficial.

Last edited:
Lioness and Founder,

Thanks for the dialogue and education on HIV. The stigma has a lot of us scared to even interact with those that are HIV positive. I have had two family members die of AIDS. My lack of knowledge caused me to fear being around them when they were suffering. I hate that I missed the opportunity to talk with them during their final days on this earth.

Yes, we disagree on some things. I have 2 cousins, one on both sides of my blood, who are HIV+. One contracted it through his lifestyle
(he is gay); the other through a contaminated blood transfusion (she has sickle cell). I love them both very much, so honestly the thought of them being HIV+ has no bearing on me or our family or their church members and co-workers. Both receive care and treatment without having to hide personal information. And neither have to use a false name for insurance purposes. So, while I’m close to both cousins, I don’t look at this from a personal view because I love them so much. My profession and education and training is what makes me look at this from a professional view.

I admit also that we (respectfully) disagree on the issue regarding the stigma associated with HIV+ people. I haven’t been on the Forums as long as you have, so I don’t know of all the past posts that may have targeted this subject. It was only a few years after I joined the Forums did I know you were HIV+. There have been some posts since my joining that suggest tensions between you and other members about this subject but again, those happened before I joined. I don’t know the specifics NOR do I care to know.

Our disagreement comes from the stigma. I could care less about how a person became HIV+. My issue is what that person chooses to do with that information once THEY fully realize (medically) diagnosed. I agree that any medical condition is private (firmly believe in HIPAA). But I do not condone HIV+ infected persons WHO KNOWINGLY INFECT OTHERS! And there have been threads on this Forum (since I joined in 2009) about people who have done this, and it’s still going on today. With all due respect Founder, I have read numerous times your posts about the persecution HIV+ people experience. Some of it is downright disgusting and cruel. But I seldom see this from you when it comes those twisted individuals who don’t have regard to others people and health who knowingly sexually transmit HIV to others. I hope you forgive if you have voiced your views against those types of people. But anyone who can transmit HIV to others SHOULD face jail/prison time. The argument about condoms can come up all day long, but if an HIV+ person knowingly infects other and chooses NOT to disclose their status, THAT IS WRONG! Like or not, it’s wrong. And I wholeheartedly believe that is why there is a stigma behind HIV/AIDS. I believe that once a person knowingly and maliciously and intentionally infects others, rights to privacy are gone!

If someone wants to sleep with an HIV+ person once it’s disclosed, let them make that choice. Don’t make the choice for them. And there have been many cases where people have married/dated known HIV+ people and NOT suffer persecution. So, status disclosure has proven to be beneficial.

First I'm glad you used the terms "Knowingly Infecting." I have a big problem with someone who goes out and purposely knowingly infecting someone. Which is why there is a big difference in the exposure laws. For example in Arkansas it is "Knowingly Exposing" in which the law was written in 1989 if I'm correct and does not follow the current medical technology associated with HIV. Technically how the law reads a person who is HIV positive can expose another even by inserting an object in to another person's vaginal area without that person knowing that the other is HIV positive. In Arkansas, if you kill your partner with a car, you can get up to 5 years in prison; if you are HIV positive and insert your finger or any object into your partner’s genital area, you can get up to 30 years.

People wonder why I accepted a plea deal it was because the court had proven documentation that I broke that part of law but had admitted to them I was HIV+ before sex. It boiled down to he say/ she say and the fear of 12 determining my fate.

So now I fight for the law to follow medical advances as well to take in to consideration whether the accused has been actively involved in their medical care, taking medication, etc.....that's just one thing I battle.

The other is pushing people to get tested and actively stay fit and healthy. Finally, the last part is making sure people practice safe sex.

By the way I became HIV+ from a blood transfusion when I was 7 because of my Hemophilia back in 1982 at the height of the fear. As i tell people I wish I had counseling during that time but even physicians were scared.

I have learned to just overlook the ignorance of those wanting attention for fun and games and engage those like yourself who really want to talk about it and offer advice.

Lioness and Founder,

Thanks for the dialogue and education on HIV. The stigma has a lot of us scared to even interact with those that are HIV positive. I have had two family members die of AIDS. My lack of knowledge caused me to fear being around them when they were suffering. I hate that I missed the opportunity to talk with them during their final days on this earth.

buckwheat, I’m not pointing fingers at you personally when I say this: lack of education on just about ANYTHING has hurt so many people, especially the Black race. We see it in just about every facet of life (spiritually, financially, medically, legally, socially). Lack of education, lack of knowledge can breed fear, which can breed hate. Wisdom is very powerful ONLY when coupled with understanding (Proverbs 4:7-one of my absolute faves). HIV/AIDS isn’t all that scary IF you know about it, how it’s transmitted, how it affects the human body, how treatments can combat it, how the virus develops into AIDS, how a non-infected person is more at risk to make an infected person very sick, etc.

Before I entered into my sophomore year at UAPB, I was awarded a summer-long internship at UAMS (University of AR for Medical Sciences). This was back in 1991. I took 7 courses/labs under their Allied Health Sciences program. One of those courses was Immunology, anther was Pathology. In my Immunology course I learned about T-cells. These are the ones that suppress or fight foreign stuff that comes into our bodies and attack them to keep us from getting sick. I also learned that a healthy human should have so many of these T-helper (or suppressor) cells. A simple ratio of a person’s T-helper to T-cytotoxicity cells determine whether a person has HIV or if they have advanced to AIDS. The normal ratio is 2:1 in a healthy person. Until then, I always thought HIV and AIDS were the same.

When I got my 2nd degree in Medical Technology in 2006 (at UAMS), I learned how the ratio is exactly calculated and why a person’s lab results are so important. When I worked as a Occupational/Industrial hygienist for the AR Dept of Labor (1999-2004), I had to take training in Universal/Standard Precautions because I taught First Responders and BLS classes to EMTs, nurses, and law enforcement officers. I learned so much.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
buckwheat, I’m not pointing fingers at you personally when I say this: lack of education on just about ANYTHING has hurt so many people, especially the Black race. We see it in just about every facet of life (spiritually, financially, medically, legally, socially). Lack of education, lack of knowledge can breed fear, which can breed hate. Wisdom is very powerful ONLY when coupled with understanding (Proverbs 4:7-one of my absolute faves). HIV/AIDS isn’t all that scary IF you know about it, how it’s transmitted, how it affects the human body, how treatments can combat it, how the virus develops into AIDS, how a non-infected person is more at risk to make an infected person very sick, etc.

Before I entered into my sophomore year at UAPB, I was awarded a summer-long internship at UAMS (University of AR for Medical Sciences). This was back in 1991. I took 7 courses/labs under their Allied Health Sciences program. One of those courses was Immunology, anther was Pathology. In my Immunology course I learned about T-cells. These are the ones that suppress or fight foreign stuff that comes into our bodies and attack them to keep us from getting sick. I also learned that a healthy human should have so many of these T-helper (or suppressor) cells. A simple ratio of a person’s T-helper to T-cytotoxicity cells determine whether a person has HIV or if they have advanced to AIDS. The normal ratio is 2:1 in a healthy person. Until then, I always thought HIV and AIDS were the same.

When I got my 2nd degree in Medical Technology in 2006 (at UAMS), I learned how the ratio is exactly calculated and why a person’s lab results are so important. When I worked as a Occupational/Industrial hygienist for the AR Dept of Labor (1999-2004), I had to take training in Universal/Standard Precautions because I taught First Responders and BLS classes to EMTs, nurses, and law enforcement officers. I learned so much.

Lioness bless your heart. The Hemophilia doctors and nurses taught us how to red our labs and interpret them. My wife is a Nurse Practioner(sp). It's comforting when HIV is the least of our worries.

I met my wife when I was a speaker at a NAACP banquet.

Lioness bless your heart. The Hemophilia doctors and nurses taught us how to red our labs and interpret them. My wife is a Nurse Practioner(sp). It's comforting when HIV is the least of our worries.

I met my wife when I was a speaker at a NAACP banquet.

:)

I love being Medical Technologist or “lab rat”! It’s the least appreciated job in the healthcare profession, but the most essential. Doctors cannot properly diagnose patients without us. Treatment for chemo, coagulation disorders, diabetes;antibiotics can’t be prescribed, transfusions can’t be performed without the lab. It’s amazing how one drop of blood or urine can tell us a whole story about someone. It’s mind-blowing how a small drop of fluid drained from the bone can tells if a person has gout, or swab from nasopharyngeal section can tell us if you have flu A, flu B or both. We can even tell by our interpretation of lab results if the specimen has been contaminated with IV fluid, if it’s from a bad draw or from the wrong person.

We have a saying: “Without the lab, you’re only guessing!”

Both of you provided valuable information. I would also think the head in the sand mentality of some people thinking that the disease don't involve them so they don't pay any attention to the information about the disease. I love learning new information, thanks for your insight

Education is cool and all that, but living in ATL it's gotten to the point where it's scary to even sleep with women because there are so many dudes sleeping with men, catching that chit and then sleeping with women and spreading it to everyone else. I feel sorry for the up and coming generation.

BINGO! This mess is STILL happening!

I agree,

Lack of education on all those things are hurting us.

clap.gif
clap.gif
clap.gif

Not only from the quote, but the rest of your responses.

BINGO! This mess is STILL happening!
Education is cool and all that, but living in ATL it's gotten to the point where it's scary to even sleep with women because there are so many dudes sleeping with men, catching that chit and then sleeping with women and spreading it to everyone else. I feel sorry for the up and coming generation.

This again speaks to stereotypes and miseducation.. It implies the HIV is somehow still considered a "gay disease"...It implies that homosexual sex is the main conduit for the spread of HIV..?

This again speaks to stereotypes and miseducation.. It implies the HIV is somehow still considered a "gay disease"...It implies that homosexual sex is the main conduit for the spread of HIV..?

I didn’t mention gay people/homosexuals because the majority of those I read about or know are heterosexual/straight. My point was/is that HIV+ folks continue to casually and carelessly infect others.

Nah, it speaks to the reality of what's going on in Atlanta...and many other places around the country.

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/at...ic-isnt-getting-any-better-cdc-says/601306390

ATLANTA - Black gay men are contracting HIV in Atlanta in epidemic proportions, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, which stated in 2016 that one in two black men would contract the disease.

https://www.cdc.gov/hiv/group/racialethnic/africanamericans/index.html

n 2016:

• 17,528 African Americans received an HIV diagnosis in the United States (12,890 men and 4,560 women).
  • More than half (58%, 10,223) of African Americans who received an HIV diagnosis were gay or bisexual men.d
  • Among African American gay and bisexual men who received an HIV diagnosis, 39% (3,993) were young men aged 25 to 34.
  • Forty-seven percent (8,501) of those who received an AIDS diagnosis in the United States were African American.

• HIV diagnoses decreased 8% among African Americans overall.
  • HIV diagnoses decreased 16% among African American heterosexual men.
  • The number of HIV diagnoses among African American women fell 20%, though it is still high compared to women of other races/ethnicities. In 2016, 4,560 African American women received an HIV diagnosis, compared with 1,450 white women and 1,168 Hispanic/Latina women.e
  • HIV diagnoses decreased 39% among African Americans who inject drugs.f
  • HIV diagnoses among African American gay and bisexual men remained stable.
  • HIV diagnoses among young African American gay and bisexual men aged 13 to 24 remained stable.
  • HIV diagnoses among African American gay and bisexual men aged 25 to 34 increased 30%.
Got to call a spade a spade.

Back