Nas and Poppa Perform Duet....

Jam Piper Jam

Truth Seeker
Hip-hop Poppa
Nas?s new single subverts the hip-hop fatherhood paradigm?with a little help from his dad, Olu Dara

Rap megastar Nas has described his style as ?bold, daring, brave and honest.? His double album ?Street Prophet? won?t come out till later this month, but fans have already gotten a taste of his lyrical derring-do on ?Bridging the Gap,? the record?s first single: ?Yeah daddy,? he shouts out to his father, ?love you, boy.?

a collaboration with?and mini-paean to?his old man, jazz and blues musician Olu Dara. ?My pop told me be your own boss/keep integrity at every cost,? he rhymes. Dara returns the favor by singing ?I told him as a youngster he?ll be the greatest man alive.? The song, aside from its hackneyed Muddy Waters sample, is fun, raucous and in a similar vein to Nas?s 2003 single ?I Can? (?B-Boys and girls, listen up/You can be anything in the world, in God we trust/An architect, doctor, maybe an actress/But nothing comes easy it; takes much practice?).

Dara, who plays cornet and sings on the new single, has worked with his son before, notably on Nas?s breakthrough classic ?Illmatic.? A New York jazz fixture in the late 1970s and early ?80s, Dara says he was constantly bringing Nas to shows and showing him around the studio. The two, he says, were inseparable and he never saw it as anything but natural. But, for better or worse, the tight father-son bond is an anomaly in rap, which?when it does broach the topic?portrays fathers as deadbeat baby-daddies.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6504577/site/newsweek/

I like the cut Bridging the Gap because he gives a shout out to Natchez, MS.....YEAHHHH BOI!!!

Back