My lesson in Patience

jsupop33

Loyalty & Respect
I spent a good portion of 2011 trying to get a new job. My focus particularly increased after finishing grad school in August. I set this ambitious goal of having a new one in place by the end of the year and told pretty much everyone that was my plan. Anyone who knows me to a decent degree, knows that Higher ED policy is my passion (ultimate goal is to be Assistant Secretary for Postsecondary Ed).

Well, earlier this year, I asked God to let me get my last promotion to a GS-12 in my current job and move to a higher ED office but I kept getting frustrated because I coudn't see any progress towards my goal. I applied to gang of other jobs in the feds that were of some interests to me but not in my true interest area. I reached out to the Higher ED Policy Office at work about doing a temporary rotational assignment as sort of a tryout and did an interview over there. Well, after getting an email from the guy who runs the Office back in September asking for my current supervisor's info, I didn't hear anything back and assumed the opportunity was dead. Automatically, I assumed that my current boss killed the detail opp and I really just walked around mad for a few weeks.

Well right before Thanksgiving, my current office had to put together a big presentation for Secretary Duncan and I worked over the weekend to complete it. My boss came to me and told me that she heard from the guy in the policy office and was willing to let me go. They are currently negotiating a start date and I should be there around mid January.

The true blessing is by waiting till this point, I got my promotion to a GS-12 (a 20% pay increase) and a Performance Bonus. If things had happened on MY schedule, I would have missed out on both of those. Now, I am going over to the policy shop as a GS-12. God is trully good. I did all this complaining for months, when he was simply putting together a path for me. It was a humbling lesson. I spent a large part of 2011 focused on myself. I am going to make sure I spend a lot of time in 2012 focused on others. I have gotten involved in the men's ministry at my church and signed up for a mentoring program.

I spent a good portion of 2011 trying to get a new job. My focus particularly increased after finishing grad school in August. I set this ambitious goal of having a new one in place by the end of the year and told pretty much everyone that was my plan. Anyone who knows me to a decent degree, knows that Higher ED policy is my passion (ultimate goal is to be Assistant Secretary for Postsecondary Ed).

Well, earlier this year, I asked God to let me get my last promotion to a GS-12 in my current job and move to a higher ED office but I kept getting frustrated because I coudn't see any progress towards my goal. I applied to gang of other jobs in the feds that were of some interests to me but not in my true interest area. I reached out to the Higher ED Policy Office at work about doing a temporary rotational assignment as sort of a tryout and did an interview over there. Well, after getting an email from the guy who runs the Office back in September asking for my current supervisor's info, I didn't hear anything back and assumed the opportunity was dead. Automatically, I assumed that my current boss killed the detail opp and I really just walked around mad for a few weeks.Well right before Thanksgiving, my current office had to put together a big presentation for Secretary Duncan and I worked over the weekend to complete it. My boss came to me and told me that she heard from the guy in the policy office and was willing to let me go. They are currently negotiating a start date and I should be there around mid January.

The true blessing is by waiting till this point, I got my promotion to a GS-12 (a 20% pay increase) and a Performance Bonus. If things had happened on MY schedule, I would have missed out on both of those. Now, I am going over to the policy shop as a GS-12. God is trully good. I did all this complaining for months, when he was simply putting together a path for me. It was a humbling lesson. I spent a large part of 2011 focused on myself. I am going to make sure I spend a lot of time in 2012 focused on others. I have gotten involved in the men's ministry at my church and signed up for a mentoring program.

I waited patiently for the Lord, and He inclined unto me, and heard my cry. He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the miry clay, and set my foot upon a rock and established my goings. And He hath put a new song in my mouth, even praise unto our God; many shall see it and and fear, and shall trust in the Lord. Blessed is the man that maketh the Lord his trust.......Psalm 40:1-4 (KJV)

Hast thou not known? hast thou not heard, that the everlasting God, the Lord, the Creator of the ends of the earth fainteth not, neither is weary? there is no searching of His understanding. He giveth power to the faint; and to them that have no might he increseath strength. Even the youths shall faint and be weary, and the young men shall utterly fail. BUT THEY THAT WAIT UPON THE LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run and not be weary, and they shall walk and not faint...............Isaiah 40:28-31(KJV)

My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations; knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience. But let patience have her perfect work that ye may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing...........James 1:2-4 (KJV)

I am very happy for you Pops! I needed some good news this morning and I was glad I checked into the Prayer Board. One of the hardest things for me to have is patience, but since I have re-established my relationship with God and re-established my walk with Jesus Christ, patience is something I have learned to have and I have learned to wait on God. Anything and everything that comes from Him is what I need and it is well worth waiting for. His ways are not my ways and when I look back, the things I went ahead & attempted to take care of myself (trying to rush God), they backfired on me. It is hard sometimes, but always wait on God; He ALWAYS comes through right when you need Him to.

And I'm happy this lesson reminded of God's goodness. He wants you to have the best, but He also wants your worship and praise. Give Him glory in all that you do, give him your worship (truthfully and spiritually), and remember to give back to Him and He will forever bless you!

Last edited:

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Thanks Lioness. I just got a call from this job I interviewed for a while back and didn't get to see if I was still interested. Another position came open and she was going to basically walk me in. It was a good job at Immigrations and Custom in the Executive Secretariat's office. High visibility cause I would be working with the higher ups at the agency but this opp I am taking will be better for me in the long run.

I remember a lot of folks saying how Tim Tebow wouldn't make it as an NFL QB. But those games he was out, Denver lost. There's a reason why TT is so successful........"in all thy ways acknowledge Him and He shall direct thy paths".......Proverbs 3:6 (KJV)

I remember a lot of folks saying how Tim Tebow wouldn't make it as an NFL QB. But those games he was out, Denver lost. There's a reason why TT is so successful........"in all thy ways acknowledge Him and He shall direct thy paths".......Proverbs 3:6 (KJV)

Please let's not go there. LOL

Please let's not go there. LOL

Why not?

And don't mistake my saying that TT's success comes from the number of games he wins because I'm sure as a Christian he knows that true success is not measured that way. Tim Tebow believes in God and acknowledges Jesus Christ as his Saviour.....because of his praise & honor of God, any & everything he does will be a success.....on and off the field.

Pops, no matter what anyone says, God can & will use anyone to bring Him praise. TT is an example of how Believers are supposed to let your light so shine so that others may see the good works in you and give God praise and glory.

Why not?

And don't mistake my saying that TT's success comes from the number of games he wins because I'm sure as a Christian he knows that true success is not measured that way. Tim Tebow believes in God and acknowledges Jesus Christ as his Saviour.....because of his praise & honor of God, any & everything he does will be a success.....on and off the field.

I believe that Tim Tebow's faith and belief in God gives him confidence in his own ability as an athlete. However, I don't believe God somehow favors him or the Broncos more because of it. At the end of the day, I don't think God cares who wins or loses football games.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
I believe that Tim Tebow's faith and belief in God gives him confidence in his own ability as an athlete. However, I don't believe God somehow favors him or the Broncos more because of it. At the end of the day, I don't think God cares who wins or loses football games.

If that's what you believe, stick by your beliefs. I'm sure if you ever get the chance to interview/talk to TT he'll say otherwise. And since you quoted my post, you read the part where I said TT will have true success on and off the field(his salvation, his life, his relationships, his career, his family, his decisions, etc) because of his faith and belief and acknowledge of God and Jesus Christ, who TT acknowledges as his Saviour. I'm not trying to sway what you believe in; I was merely encouraging Pops, who sees the benefits of his patience in waiting on God to bring out his blessings. Again, Pops, congratulations to you. And Kendrick, again I say, stick to your beliefs.

If that's what you believe, stick by your beliefs. I'm sure if you ever get the chance to interview/talk to TT he'll say otherwise. And since you quoted my post, you read the part where I said TT will have true success on and off the field(his salvation, his life, his relationships, his career, his family, his decisions, etc) because of his faith and belief and acknowledge of God and Jesus Christ, who TT acknowledges as his Saviour. I'm not trying to sway what you believe in; I was merely encouraging Pops, who sees the benefits of his patience in waiting on God to bring out his blessings. Again, Pops, congratulations to you. And Kendrick, again I say, stick to your beliefs.

1. And when the shouting was over, Tebow did what he always does—he pointed skyward and took a knee in prayer. In postgame interviews, the young quarterback often starts by saying, “First, I’d like to thank my Lord and Savior Jesus Christâ€￾ and ends with “God bless.â€￾ He stresses that football is just a game and that God doesn’t care who wins or loses.
http://commonamericanjournal.com/?p=36970

2. Oh, I understand what you were saying about his faith opens the door for the ability for us to have success in all areas of our lives if we are steadfast in our behavior. That the lesson we should ultimately take away from this thread.

1. And when the shouting was over, Tebow did what he always does—he pointed skyward and took a knee in prayer. In postgame interviews, the young quarterback often starts by saying, “First, I’d like to thank my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ” and ends with “God bless.” He stresses that football is just a game and that God doesn’t care who wins or loses.
http://commonamericanjournal.com/?p=36970

2. Oh, I understand what you were saying about his faith opens the door for the ability for us to have success in all areas of our lives if we are steadfast in our behavior. That the lesson we should ultimately take away from this thread.

Again, before I digress, this is about Pops, who truly found the meaning of patience through waiting on God, the Creator, to receive his blessings. As for TT, I don't recall mentioning whether God cares about wins/losses. But I do recall saying the TT will be successful in any & everything that he does ( on AND OFF the field) because he acknowledges God and Jesus Christ as his Saviour. It is MY belief that TT is favored; I believe that it is no coincidence that most of the games that TT DID NOT play in the Broncos lost. But to others it may be sheer coincidence. My point is that anyone who acknowledges God the Father, and accepts Jesus Christ as the Saviour will be favored in all aspects of their lives.

Pops, I hope this doesn't take focus off your experience; I only meant to keep you encouraged and to tell you to continue to wait on God. Read Jeremiah 29:11; He wants the best for you always and waiting on Him is definitely worth the wait.

Last edited:
Again, before I digress, this is about Pops, who truly found the meaning of patience through waiting on God, the Creator, to receive his blessings. As for TT, I don't recall mentioning whether God cares about wins/losses. But I do recall saying the TT will be successful in any & everything that he does ( on AND OFF the field) because he acknowledges God and Jesus Christ as his Saviour. It is MY belief that TT is favored; I believe that it is no coincidence that most of the games that TT DID NOT play in the Broncos lost. But to others it may be sheer coincidence. My point is that anyone who acknowledges God the Father, and accepts Jesus Christ as the Saviour will be favored in all aspects of their lives.

Like I said in another thread, I think we have to really be careful in melding sports and religion in terms of whose favored and not favored in the eyes of God during competition. Because I'm sure there are players on the opposing teams that Denver has played against this season who love God just as much as Tim Tebow (then we would have to ask why did those teams failed, but God allowed the Broncos to win).

But a lot of those guys might not have the same opportunity to talk about their faith in the media like Tebow has so far. Don't get me wrong, I respect Tebow as a person, as a believer more so than I do as a professional QB. I think he seems to be a great, genuine kid, though.

And you're right. This thread is about Pops and his job opportunity. So, I congratulate him on that.

Well, earlier this year, I asked God to let me get my last promotion to a GS-12 in my current job and move to a higher ED office but I kept getting frustrated because I coudn't see any progress towards my goal. I applied to gang of other jobs in the feds that were of some interests to me but not in my true interest area. I reached out to the Higher ED Policy Office at work about doing a temporary rotational assignment as sort of a tryout and did an interview over there. Well, after getting an email from the guy who runs the Office back in September asking for my current supervisor's info, I didn't hear anything back and assumed the opportunity was dead. Automatically, I assumed that my current boss killed the detail opp and I really just walked around mad for a few weeks.

Well right before Thanksgiving, my current office had to put together a big presentation for Secretary Duncan and I worked over the weekend to complete it. My boss came to me and told me that she heard from the guy in the policy office and was willing to let me go. They are currently negotiating a start date and I should be there around mid January.

I know I am late but this is a good and encouraging testimony. I continuously learn the same things about patience over and over again...

Back