My case AGAINST diamonds

hassan

La ilaj? ila Al
As some of you may recall, late last year nsu alum posted an article on another bulletin board exposing the diamond trade to be a crime against humanity. You may also recall that I declared my very adamant boycott against the diamond trade publicly on that same thread.

Well, this thread seeks to build a stronger case against diamond's apparent stranglehold on decency, ethics, and plain common sense. I also encourage those with opposing points of view to post those views and then kiss my Cuban butt.

a-hem....

I am opposed to diamonds because they are not a real commodity yet they are more expensive than a legit commodity like gold; they are grossly overvalued.

I am opposed to diamonds because the greed it breeds in turn breeds inhumane treatment of fellow human beings.

from the MARCH 2002 issue of NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC:
"The 120 million carats [a carat is one-fifth of a gram] of rough diamonds extracted globally from the Earth every year weigh a total of just 24 tons, a single truckload, but those 24 tons are sold by the producers for about seven billion dollars. Since they cost less than two billion dollars to extract, the profits are already immense. By the time the diamonds reach the customers [about forty eight percent of all diamonds purchased retail globally each year are bought by Americans] waiting at the far end of the pipeline, the truckload, set in jewelry, is worth over fifty billion dollars."

Do the math folks....

Much of this business comes from where much of this modern world's madness comes from: false traditions born of marketing. In much the same way that gluttoness gift-giving and even the very image of Santa Claus are Madison Avenue manifest in our social fabric, the Western "tradition" of diamonds being the true measure of one's love is a sham. The tradition dates not back to Roman times, or Elizabethian times or even Victorian times; instead, the whole con of diamonds being the one true symbol of real love is less than a century old.

This was created mostly by the very folks that would benefit most from this sudden and unprecedented "need" for diamonds: the diamond traders, specifically DeBeers of South Africa. Even the now very familiar slogan of "Diamonds are forever" is not a profound axiom of ancient wisdom but a DeBeers marketing slogan

Also, diamonds are not rare. For years, the U.S. government amassed a large amount of "industrial diamonds" (just as "real" as what your woman wants on her finger). Typically, industrials are used for such glamorous items as "cutting edges and drill bits".

In 1999 - 2000, DeBeers "sold off half its five billion dollar stockpile" in response to some unusually stiff competition. For example, "producers attempting to market rough stones independently have been mercilessly punished, sometimes by a selective flooding of the market with stones from the legendary stockpile in the vaults under DeBeers' London headquarters."

Furthermore, the DeBeers "cartel, as it is often called, ... [has attracted the attention of] the antitrust division of the United States Department of Justice. (DeBeers was indicted in a 1994 price-fixing case, and its executives do not set foot on U.S. soil for fear of subpoena.)"

blood has been split and split in Biblical quantities over diamonds in many places - but most are in Africa.

In Angola, even with the recent death of rebel leader Jonas Savimbi, many are virtually enslaved to work the mines or serve as conscripted soldiers often sent into villages to terrorize locals into not only allowing but also aiding mining efforts.

Angola's civil war has waged on since the mid-1970's funded not by the KGB or the CIA but by rings and earrings and the like as Savimbi himself "extracted perhaps four billion dollars' worth of stones." Waging war is an expense venture and Savimbi's UNITA movement was able to sustain and even escalate hositilies thanx exclusively to the "need" for people to have diamonds.

*The National Geographic article also cites the possibility that the "moving" of diamonds (which are virtually impossible to "trace" their place of origin) funds(ed) al Queda operations.

"The consequences of Savimbi's access to diamond money are abundantly apparent today. 'Diamonds have been a curse on Angola. Without diamonds the war couldn't last so long,' said Jeremias Belino as he

i'm not finishedyet

I havent even started to talk about hacked off limbs in Sierra Leone strictly for the sake of terrorizing locals into "compliance"

I havent even starting talking about how the US "defended" Kuwait and Saudi Arabia because of oil ... then asked if the diamond trade is a reason why the US was never hostile to South Africa and defends Israel (a place with no oil and no "leveraging strategic military location")...

i'm not done yet folks

stay tuned

Back