Mortgage mess claims new victims

Blacknbengal

Bracing for a flood of layoffs: The 21,000 job cuts this month in the housing and finance industries almost equal the number for all of 2006.

Just a few years ago, mortgage salesman Terry Orlowski rode the housing boom and a six-figure income down to the car dealership and bought a new Audi A6.

Now, the soaring market and the fast car are gone. Last week he lost his job, along with 6,000 other employees of First Magnus Financial, a mortgage lender. Now driving a 1999 Dodge Grand Caravan, he plans to move back in temporarily with his ex so their two children can stay in private school.

"My first thought was this was one of the bigger companies. No one is safe," Orlowski says.

The flood of layoffs -? some 21,000 since the beginning of the month in the real-estate, construction and mortgage-lending industries -? is one way the Federal Reserve can see real impact on the economy from the turmoil in the markets.

It's not just guys in hard hats looking for work; it's also white-collar workers.

Many of these jobs in finance and real estate are relatively high-paying, which has helped car dealerships and high-end retailers. To be sure, all sorts of jobs are affected, because when a house changes hands, a small army of brokers, appraisers, pest-control inspectors, title searchers and lawyers send out invoices.

"Unlike a lot of other businesses, real estate is everywhere," says economist Bob Brusca of Fact & Opinion Economics in New York. "Even if this turns out to be small potatoes in one place, it has a fairly big impact."

A simple real estate transaction can involve up to 20 people, says Steve Walsh, president of Scout Mortgage in Scottsdale, Ariz. "An escrow officer may make $1,000, the county recorder gets a few hundred, the appraiser makes $300 to $400, the termite man $50 to $100 and there are movers and landscapers and decorators."

Walsh says his accountant told him of some real-estate agents who had been making $200,000 a year but are down to a $15,000 income. He says his firm, with business down 40%, has cut staff, too.

Rest of Story

I make my living in real estate and I've taken a hit the last 3-4 months. Still extremely blessed though. All of us in the business are now learning how to d-i-v-e-r-s-i-f-y. ;)

FYI lenders like countrywide, bank of america, and others stock is going on sale for those who want to buy. Warren Buffet I heard is about to buy 20% of countrywide.

These financial institutions lent money at interest rates to people who could not afford them. I am pissed that the federal reserve is helping to bail these guys out. The 100% mortgages, interest only mortgages and 80 / 20 mortgages with HIGH interest rates, what did the expect. People could afford the teaser rates, but no way could they afford the real interest rate and they knew that. Why arent they settling with people at a lower fixed interest rate for those who can afford it instead of letting the houses go back on the market. :scared::kaioken::scared:

I have sympathy for the employees, but the top executives should be personally liable.

Bracing for a flood of layoffs: The 21,000 job cuts this month in the housing and finance industries almost equal the number for all of 2006.

Just a few years ago, mortgage salesman Terry Orlowski rode the housing boom and a six-figure income down to the car dealership and bought a new Audi A6.

Now, the soaring market and the fast car are gone. Last week he lost his job, along with 6,000 other employees of First Magnus Financial, a mortgage lender. Now driving a 1999 Dodge Grand Caravan, he plans to move back in temporarily with his ex so their two children can stay in private school.

"My first thought was this was one of the bigger companies. No one is safe," Orlowski says.

Rest of Story

The cat in this story just had a bad case of poor financial planning. If he wasn't before I bet now he is humble as hell now that he had to move back in with the Ex.

These financial institutions lent money at interest rates to people who could not afford them. I am pissed that the federal reserve is helping to bail these guys out. The 100% mortgages, interest only mortgages and 80 / 20 mortgages with HIGH interest rates, what did the expect. People could afford the teaser rates, but no way could they afford the real interest rate and they knew that.

It's really the Adjustable Rate Mortgages (ARMs) that are causing people to foreclose on their homes. But I put most of the blame on the buyer and not the lenders. People should be smart enough to know what they can and can not afford. My wife and I built a home a couple of years ago. We got qualified for well over $600 K. The house that we built didn't cost no where near that. Just because someone (lenders) give you a rope doesn't mean you have to hang yourself.

My boy back in MS got a 1-year ARM when he bought his home and he didn't even know it. He got a letter in the mail stating that his interest rate/mortgage was going to increase. This cat didn't know what the hell was going on. I dam near cussed him out for not researching and not talking to me before he finalized everything.

It's really the Adjustable Rate Mortgages (ARMs) that are causing people to foreclose on their homes. But I put most of the blame on the buyer and not the lenders. People should be smart enough to know what they can and can not afford. My wife and I built a home a couple of years ago. We got qualified for well over $600 K. The house that we built didn't cost no where near that. Just because someone (lenders) give you a rope doesn't mean you have to hang yourself.

My boy back in MS got a 1-year ARM when he bought his home and he didn't even no it. He got a letter in the mail stating that his interest rate/mortgage was going to increase. This cat didn't know what the hell was going on. I dam near cussed him out for not researching and not talking to me before he finalized everything.
I know of some who've been down the road your friend has w/an ARM. Additionally, your 1st point is what I tell people redundantly - Just because they say you're approved for XYZ amount doesn't mean you should look for a home in that range. The premise for qualifying for a home leaves out other bills/necessities/obligations/responsibilities/luxuries/wants/etc. and for one to ignore them in the home qualifying process is not wise.

It's really the Adjustable Rate Mortgages (ARMs) that are causing people to foreclose on their homes.

That is NOT TRUE. In this case, not only did this person have poor spending habits, but he also got LAID OFF. Neither a fixed-rate nor ARM could have helped this guy out, he still was going to lose his house and have to move back in with the EX.

I know of some who've been down the road your friend has w/an ARM. Additionally, your 1st point is what I tell people redundantly - Just because they say you're approved for XYZ amount doesn't mean you should look for a home in that range. The premise for qualifying for a home leaves out other bills/necessities/obligations/responsibilities/luxuries/wants/etc. and for one to ignore them in the home qualifying process is not wise.

They had me qualified for all kinds of prices at first. :lol:

My realitor showed me all kinds of homes when the initial process started.
When I kept INSISTING on a FIXED RATE, that's when she started showing me stuff I could really afford.

Didn't get one of those big homes in the burb's, but I did get a nice, pre-existing 3 BR, 2 BTH in a good hood. :D
I count my blessing's every day that I didn't get an adjustiable rate to get in one of those New Homes.

They had me qualified for all kinds of prices at first. :lol:

My realitor showed me all kinds of homes when the initial process started.
When I kept INSISTING on a FIXED RATE, that's when she started showing me stuff I could really afford.

Didn't get one of those big homes in the burb's, but I did get a nice, pre-existing 3 BR, 2 BTH in a good hood. :D
I count my blessing's every day that I didn't get an adjustiable rate to get in one of those New Homes.

Was the ARM loan good for the nice 3BR/2BA in the hood?

I have had both loans over the past 10 years and one thing (IN TEXAS) that is common between the both of them, you loan is NEVER FIXED! Even with a fixed rate mortgage, your property tax and insurance will go up every year, thus changing the amount you pay, even if you pay EXTRA on the note, you will still pay more each month with a FIXED RATE. At least with an ARM, you CONTROL how much your note will be, even if the property tax and insurance goes up each year.

Was the ARM loan good for the nice 3BR/2BA in the hood?

I have had both loans over the past 10 years and one thing (IN TEXAS) that is common between the both of them, you loan is NEVER FIXED! Even with a fixed rate mortgage, your property tax and insurance will go up every year, thus changing the amount you pay, even if you pay EXTRA on the note, you will still pay more each month with a FIXED RATE. At least with an ARM, you CONTROL how much your note will be, even if the property tax and insurance goes up each year.

My mortage note has been the same for 9 years unless you call an increase of no more than $20 not fixed due to property tax in the highest taxed city in Mississippi.............Jacktown :D
I controlled how much my mortage was when I signed it and it's held up through all this mess that's going on now. :nod:

And when I say FIXED, my mortage don't change with the interest rate like a lot of people that I know who are paying almost $1000 more on their mortage now than they were when they fisrt got it.

My boy back in MS got a 1-year ARM when he bought his home and he didn't even know it. He got a letter in the mail stating that his interest rate/mortgage was going to increase. This cat didn't know what the hell was going on. I dam near cussed him out for not researching and not talking to me before he finalized everything.

ARMs are a dangerous game, 100% mortgages are dangerous games, 80 / 20 mortgages are a dangerous game and interest only loans are a dangerous game.

Its like waving meat in front of a dog, telling people they can afford more than they can really afford. The mortgage industry knows that Americans are not to bright when it comes to finances. Most Americans are like "your boy", they are just happy to get the house. The mortgage industry went out and encouraged people to take those risky mortgages, they are reaping what they sowed. Its like the credit card industry, giving credit cards to people in bankruptcy. I don't blame the people in bankruptcy, I would take the card too and run it up.

Its like waving meat in front of a dog, telling people they can afford more than they can really afford. The mortgage industry knows that Americans are not to bright when it comes to finances. Most Americans are like "your boy", they are just happy to get the house. The mortgage industry went out and encouraged people to take those risky mortgages, they are reaping what they sowed. Its like the credit card industry, giving credit cards to people in bankruptcy. I don't blame the people in bankruptcy, I would take the card too and run it up.

Olde Hornet, this is were you and I differ. I do blame people who are in bankruptcy. Especially with the new bankruptcy laws, folks have to pay that money back. Why would you as an individual put yourself in more financial debt when you're already in bankruptcy? To me that's crazy. I have the mentality where I don't like nobody's hand in my pockets. In other words, I don't want to owe anyone nothing.

My mortage note has been the same for 9 years unless you call an increase of no more than $20 not fixed due to property tax in the highest taxed city in Mississippi.............Jacktown :D
I controlled how much my mortage was when I signed it and it's held up through all this mess that's going on now. :nod:

And when I say FIXED, my mortage don't change with the interest rate like a lot of people that I know who are paying almost $1000 more on their mortage now than they were when they fisrt got it.

If your mortgage doesn't change no more than $20 because of property tax increase, then you are LUCKY. That is only an increase of $240 ($20*12) in property taxes PER YEAR. In the Dallas-Ft.Worth area, you will see an increase in property taxes close to $1000 per year. My homeowners insurance TRIPLED. Consider yourself LUCKY.

On your FIXED, if you pay more on your note, your note doesn't change. Your P&I will remain the same until you pay it off or refinance it. With an ARM, if you pay more, your P&I has a chance to DECREASE with the rate adjusts, even if it adjust UPWARDS.

ARMs are a dangerous game, 100% mortgages are dangerous games, 80 / 20 mortgages are a dangerous game and interest only loans are a dangerous game.

I can understand an ARM being dangerous, but how are the other loans dangerous?

You guys act like there are no other contributing factors to foreclosures. An ARM adjusting doesn't make or break a person. Its the debt from credit accounts that have run people to foreclosure. Its JOB LOSS, its DIVORCE, its medical hardships, bankruptcy, more so than the ARM adjusting and increasing the note by $75 per month.

An ARM adjusting from 5.5% to 6.5% doesn't make a person go into foreclosure.

100% loans & 80/20 loans are good most of the time. Just depends...

ARMs, Interest Only, & Stated income loans (liers loan) are bad most of the time. Just depends...

These financial institutions lent money at interest rates to people who could not afford them. I am pissed that the federal reserve is helping to bail these guys out. The 100% mortgages, interest only mortgages and 80 / 20 mortgages with HIGH interest rates, what did the expect. People could afford the teaser rates, but no way could they afford the real interest rate and they knew that. Why arent they settling with people at a lower fixed interest rate for those who can afford it instead of letting the houses go back on the market.
100% true!

I know a couple of guys that made a million per year for a few years in a row around 2001-2006ish when banks were giving any & everybody with a pulse "100%, 0 down, we pay closing cost, we give you cash back for new furniture, bad credit ok, 70% Debt to Income no problem, ARMs, interest only, everybody qualifies" loans when they KNEW that these people were great candidates for foreclosure. They KNEW it. So split the blame between the banks & the buyer!

...payment jumping $600 one month, possibly another $200 the next...:sick::sick::sick:

These financial institutions lent money at interest rates to people who could not afford them. I am pissed that the federal reserve is helping to bail these guys out.

If they didn't bail em out we'd be in serious trouble financially as a country. As the financial industry goes, so goes the US economy.

I know a couple of guys that made a million per year for a few years in a row around 2001-2006ish when banks were giving any & everybody with a pulse "100%, 0 down, we pay closing cost, we give you cash back for new furniture, bad credit ok, 70% Debt to Income no problem, ARMs, interest only, everybody qualifies" loans when they KNEW that these people were great candidates for foreclosure. They KNEW it. So split the blame between the banks & the buyer!

...payment jumping $600 one month, possibly another $200 the next...:sick::sick::sick:
Hmmmm, you don't say... Oh well...

If they didn't bail em out we'd be in serious trouble financially as a country. As the financial industry goes, so goes the US economy.
I disagree, the markets would have self corrected to where it really should be. All of the money people are for the "free market" and "no goverment" intervention until their butts are on fire. The feds were wrong!

Olde Hornet, this is were you and I differ. I do blame people who are in bankruptcy. Especially with the new bankruptcy laws, folks have to pay that money back. Why would you as an individual put yourself in more financial debt when you're already in bankruptcy? To me that's crazy. I have the mentality where I don't like nobody's hand in my pockets. In other words, I don't want to owe anyone nothing.

You understand finance. Most americans dont. Its a huge weakness in the educational system. To you its crazy, to some, its a lifestyle choice. The banking industry encourage this behavior by giving credit cards to anyone. Does it make sense of credit cards to be issued to people in bankruptcy? NO!!!

I can understand an ARM being dangerous, but how are the other loans dangerous?

You guys act like there are no other contributing factors to foreclosures. An ARM adjusting doesn't make or break a person. Its the debt from credit accounts that have run people to foreclosure. Its JOB LOSS, its DIVORCE, its medical hardships, bankruptcy, more so than the ARM adjusting and increasing the note by $75 per month.

An ARM adjusting from 5.5% to 6.5% doesn't make a person go into foreclosure.

What about 14% interest rate on mortgages? And yes, so many of these people were on the edge that those "minor" movements in interest rates have pushed people over the edge. You are missing whats going on, mortgages were given to a LOT OF HIGH RISK people. There was a woman that called in last night on the Suze show on CNBC and the "minor" increase in mortgages is pushing her over the edge. The industry took HUGE risks!

Read some of the stories you will be SHOCKED! If I can find some of them, I will share them with the board.

I disagree, the markets would have self corrected to where it really should be. All of the money people are for the "free market" and "no goverment" intervention until their butts are on fire. The feds were wrong!

The "markets" meaning the stock markets?

The financial industry going down is not the same as the airline or rail industry being in trouble. Believe me the government needed to intervene. Why do you think anything the Fed chairman raises and lowers the interest rate to the banks so often?

Back