Morris Brown College...is this the end?

orange tiger

Morris Brown College may not reopen next month

Historically black college had water shut off as bill mount

By ALAN JUDD
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Saturday, December 20, 2008

Morris Brown College endured the embezzlement conviction of its president. It weathered losing its accreditation and the ability to obtain student financial aid. It kept going even as enrollment, once close to 3,000, plummeted to a paltry 56.

Now Morris Brown must try to save itself again.

This time, it may not make it.

Without loans to cover $1.5 million in critical bills, the 127-year-old historically black college won’t reopen next month for the spring semester, school officials said Saturday. Morris Brown lacks money to pay faculty and staff salaries, utilities and other operating expenses, acting president Stanley Pritchett said.

The school’s longstanding financial troubles intensified last week, when the city of Atlanta shut off water service to the campus off Martin Luther King Jr. Drive in the Atlanta University Center.

The city said Morris Brown owes about $380,000 in water bills, some dating to 2004. When the school fell behind on a payment plan to reduce the debt, the city cut off the water — and, perhaps, Morris Brown’s future.

The campus simply cannot reopen unless the water comes back on, Pritchett said. “You’ve got to have basic services.â€

It would be an ignominious end to a school that boasts of being the only Georgia higher-education institution created by African-Americans. The college’s alumni include military officers, actors, authors and civil rights leaders such as the late Hosea Williams.

Morris Brown’s reputation was tarnished earlier this decade when a federal investigation led to criminal charges against former President Dolores Cross and former financial aid director Parvesh Singh.

Both pleaded guilty in 2006, admitting they acquired millions of dollars in federal loans and grants in the names of students who did not exist. The Southern Association of Colleges and Schools had revoked Morris Brown’s accreditation in 2002.

School officials are scheduled to meet with bankers on Monday, hoping to secure a short-term loan, said Rhonda Copenny, a Morris Brown trustee. The college continues to work on a long-term restructuring of its $32 million debt.

Without “bridge financing,†Copenny said, the school is no more than three weeks away from closing permanently.

Even with a short-term cash infusion, the college faces tough obstacles, court records indicate. Contractors have filed several liens over unpaid bills.

A real-estate broker hired to arrange commercial development on campus has put in a $230,000 lien. A plumbing company that had already filed a $116,000 lien escalated the case by suing the school Dec. 17.

The city, too, filed liens to prevent Morris Brown from selling property before making good on its water bills. But the school fell behind on its payment plan when its cash flow dried up, Pritchett said.

On Dec. 12, the last day of the fall semester, city officials told the school to pay the full $380,000 immediately or they would terminate water service, Pritchett said. City workers turned off the spigots Dec. 15.

Pritchett said he has appealed for leniency from Mayor Shirley Franklin and has talked with two of her aides, “but as of this date, I have not been able to get any kind of flexibility in resolving it.â€

City officials say they gave Morris Brown plenty of chances. Once a customer defaults on a payment plan, though, the account becomes due in full.

“The city doesn’t renegotiate,†said Janet Ward, a spokeswoman for the Watershed Management Department.

Franklin’s spokeswoman, Beverly Isom, said, “This problem has been apparent for some time. I don’t think it’s because they don’t have water that Morris Brown has financial problems.â€

This potentially fatal blow comes as Morris Brown has begun something of a rebirth. Last spring, the General Assembly allowed the school to begin accepting students who receive the state’s HOPE scholarship. Enrollment this fall more than doubled to about 240.

“The institution has been a major part of the landscape of this community,†Pritchett said, “and it certainly deserves to remain a viable part of the community.â€

http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/atlanta/stories/2008/12/20/morris_brown_college.html

Morris Brown plans rally to help pay water bill

The Associated Press --

ATLANTA -Organizers are planning a rally to raise funds to help Morris Brown College pay a $380,000 water bill that is threatening to shutter the embattled institution.

The city of Atlanta turned off the school's water on Dec. 15 for nonpayment. Unless the bill is paid in full, the school will not reopen when classes are scheduled to resume on Jan. 9.

The campus rally is planned for Saturday. School officials have been meeting with city administrators and pleading for donations from the public during the holidays. The college also needs $1.5 million to address day-to-day operations, and is about $30 million in debt overall.

The historically black institution is 127 years old and rebounding from an embezzlement scandal that brought it to the brink of extinction a few years ago.

Morris Brown plans rally to help pay water bill

The Associated Press --

ATLANTA -Organizers are planning a rally to raise funds to help Morris Brown College pay a $380,000 water bill that is threatening to shutter the embattled institution.

The city of Atlanta turned off the school's water on Dec. 15 for nonpayment. Unless the bill is paid in full, the school will not reopen when classes are scheduled to resume on Jan. 9.

The campus rally is planned for Saturday. School officials have been meeting with city administrators and pleading for donations from the public during the holidays. The college also needs $1.5 million to address day-to-day operations, and is about $30 million in debt overall.

The historically black institution is 127 years old and rebounding from an embezzlement scandal that brought it to the brink of extinction a few years ago.

As of this morning, the rally only pulled in $50,000... many people are fearful that Morris Brown will not recover and won't be able to reopen in the Spring. The assumption I heard on a panel discussion on Fox 5 is that the school would be swallowed by the other AUC schools...

ATLANTA: Rallying around Morris Brown

College on the ropes: Alumni, others raise $70,000, aim for more in fight to keep historic institution operating.

By Jamie Gumbrecht

Sunday, December 28, 2008

Louise Hollowell sat before 60 Morris Brown College supporters in Atlanta on Saturday and confessed she was worried.

She’s 95, a former Morris Brown student and board member. She taught there for 35 years, and she said struggling students with good excuses always learned the material and passed her classes. She’d always found a way to make it happen.

The Morris Brown community now has to find a way to pay its bills and to get out of debt to find its own path to survival, Hollowell said during a Yes We Care fund-raising rally on the campus of the 127-year-old institution. She’s got a big house, she said, and they can throw all kinds of parties there, if that will help.

“We want people to help us —- we have to get up and help ourselves first,†she told the crowd of approximately 60 people gathered outside the John Lewis Gym. “Anybody in need is your neighbor. I’m here. I’m very much concerned.â€

Online donations and handwritten checks added up during the rally, which the school plans to repeat next Saturday. Acting President Stanley Pritchett read names and amounts out loud, from $10 to $10,000, and called on city officials to work with the school to help keep it open.

“This is a movement, my people, not just a call to action,†Pritchett said to the crowd, dressed in shades of purple, Morris Brown’s signature color. “This is not just an Atlanta situation.â€

By Saturday evening, the college had raised more than $70,000, mostly from alumni living in metro Atlanta, Pritchett said.

Morris Brown owes the city about $380,000, some in delinquent bills nearly 5 years old. The city on Dec. 15 shut off water service to the school. A Jan. 6 foreclosure date is set for Jordan Hall, a campus building. Enrollment is at 240, a far fall from the 3,000 students it had when it lost accreditation in 2002.

The school suffered the added indignity of seeing its former president and former financial aid director convicted of a federal embezzlement scheme in 2006.

School officials are struggling to restore basic services, such as water, so classes can open for the spring semester Jan. 9. Pritchett said the school must first handle its financial emergencies before it can implement its long-term plan and work toward re-accreditation.

During the rally, school officials spoke of teachers working without pay and staff members uncertain if their next paychecks would come. They pointed to alumni, students and band members who came to support the school, waving printed signs that said, “Yes, we care,†then held hands to sing the school’s song.

Chuck Irving, a junior studying music education, said students are apprehensive about the outlook for next semester. He’s trying to stay optimistic, preparing to march with the school band during the Chick-fil-A Bowl on Wednesday.

“We’re still a very good school. We’re still here to do our job, be students, be ambassadors of education,†said Irving, who says he’s donated $218 with his mom, a Morris Brown alumna. “There’s a lot of purple blood running through this city. People need to come back to us.â€

http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/printedition/2008/12/28/morrisbrown.html

Where is Dolores Cross and director Parvesh Singh "In Jail" or enjoying the stolen funds.

This reminds me of Fisk and Knoxville College.

Water back on at Morris Brown College

By STACY SHELTON

Friday, January 02, 2009

The city of Atlanta turned the water back on at Morris Brown College on Friday after the college made a partial, $100,000 payment for its past due bills.

The college must pay an additional $214,000 it owes by Feb. 17 under a court order issued Friday, or risk losing water service again.

Representatives of the historically black private college said they are confident they can meet the terms. Acting President Stanley J. Pritchett Sr. said the college raised $115,000 since last week, most of it at a rally last Saturday. Another rally is scheduled for 11 a.m. Saturday at the college near the Atlanta University Center. Pritchett said Morris Brown is asking for donations from alumni, entertainers, sports figures and corporate leaders.

“It’s about the life of a college that’s been here for 127-plus years,†Pritchett said. “Even in the face of adversity, we will rise above.â€

Water had been cut off since Dec. 12 after the financially strapped school failed to stick to a repayment plan. Some of the bills dated back to 2004.

Service also had been temporarily cut off in September. The water was turned back on after Morris Brown made a $7,000 payment.

In issuing his order Friday, Fulton County Superior Court Judge Henry M. Newkirk said he was giving Morris Brown its final chance. Pay the remaining balance on schedule or “the water will be shut off, period,†the judge said.

After the hearing, the city’s Watershed Management Commissioner Rob Hunter said the city had prevailed. “The clear message is: You have to pay for the service you’re getting,†Hunter said. “It’s the only thing that is fair to everyone on the system.â€

The college paid the city water department Friday with two certified checks, water department spokeswoman Janet Ward said.

The two sides met in Newkirk’s Fulton County courtroom Friday after a New Year’s Eve request from the college for an injunction forcing the city to restore service.

The city’s argument was simple: If Morris Brown College did not have to pay, Atlanta’s efforts to collect about $35 million in past due water bills from hundreds of other customers would be undermined. Because of its own financial problems, the city’s Watershed Management Department last month laid off 97 workers.

Lawyer Theresa Stewart, representing the city, argued any leniency by Newkirk would set a “dangerous†precedent.

“All the other water customers will say, ‘If Morris Brown College doesn’t have to pay… why should I have to pay my bill on time?’†Stewart said.

The city water department serves 1.2 million people on 150,000 accounts.

College officials tried to show they had attempted to work with the water department to pay the bills, but had not reached an agreement. Morris Brown also raised questions about the accuracy of the bills.

James Dearing Jr., attorney for Morris Brown, said without water service, “the school is dead.â€

On the witness stand, Pritchett, the college president, said staff and faculty members have been unable to work and are not getting paid because the campus has no water.

Students have left campus on semester break, but the college’s marching band, which performed on New Year’s Eve at the Chick-fil-A Bowl and parade, had to practice off-campus, Pritchett said.

Advent services were canceled at a church that rents space at the college because the water was cut off, he said.

More than 240 students are expected to return to campus on Jan. 11, Pritchett said. On Friday, the men’s basketball team from Atlanta Metropolitan College was scheduled to move into their dorm rooms in Morris Brown’s Wilkes Hall. Morris Brown has a $76,000 contract to lease space to the junior college.

Pritchett also indicated Morris Brown’s financial troubles go far beyond non-payment of its water bills. He said the school owes $5 million in unsecured debt and $25 million in secured debt. One of the school’s dorms, Jordan Hall, is in foreclosure and was scheduled to be auctioned Tuesday.

Most financial aid has been cut off from the school since it lost accreditation in 2002. In 2008, the Georgia General Assembly allowed the school to start accepting HOPE scholarship students again, raising student enrollment from a low of 56 to 240.

http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/atlanta/stories/2009/01/02/morris_brown_water.html

Where is Dolores Cross and director Parvesh Singh "In Jail" or enjoying the stolen funds.

They were both convicted of embellzing that money. I don't remember them having to serve any jail time though, just probation or some other slap on the wrist.

On Friday, the men’s basketball team from Atlanta Metropolitan College was scheduled to move into their dorm rooms in Morris Brown’s Wilkes Hall. Morris Brown has a $76,000 contract to lease space to the junior college
good. :tup:
I still can't figure out why MBC didn't (or hasn't) worked out some kind of deal with Atlanta Public Schools to play more of their football games at MBC's Herndon Stadium. That's a nice facility that pretty much is just sitting there "doing nothing".
Washington High is right down the street. The other westside schools (Doug, Mays) should be playing there too.
Also, IMO, Ga State would've been better served by playing there too, instead of the GA Dome.

I have one thought...

Who would want to attend a school that can barely keep their doors open and pay their bills? I wouldn't advise ANYONE to attend Morris Brown or even look at their curriculum with the state its in right now.

I have one thought...

Who would want to attend a school that can barely keep their doors open and pay their bills? I wouldn't advise ANYONE to attend Morris Brown or even look at their curriculum with the state its in right now.

so, in other words, you want the college to go under, right?

btw, I wonder what college, at some point in its history, hasn't faced some struggle to "keep their doors open"

I hope Morris Brown rebounds and prosper.

so, in other words, you want the college to go under, right?

btw, I wonder what college, at some point in its history, hasn't faced some struggle to "keep their doors open"

I hope Morris Brown rebounds and prosper.

LOL...naw I don't want the college to go under.
But I don't want any student that goes to college to have to deal with the stress of wondering:
1) if the school will stay open in order for them to finish their studies
2) if their classes/credits will be accepted at other universities if the student will have to leave Morris Brown for whatever reason

I don't know what other universities have had issues with keeping their doors open, but best believe i wouldn't recommend those schools to students either if they were currently having those issues.

I hope Morris Brown can rebound and continue to grow as well...for the long term not just temporarily.

so you would recommend students to apply to Morris Brown for the Fall'09 school year?

so you would recommend students to apply to Morris Brown for the Fall'09 school year?
I wouldn't dissuade anybody. To each his own. Anybody who goes there HAS to already know the situation. If they want to still go, more power to them. And Morris Brown.

The school won't EVER recover if students won't attend.

I wouldn't dissuade anybody. To each his own. Anybody who goes there HAS to already know the situation. If they want to still go, more power to them. And Morris Brown.

The school won't EVER recover if students won't attend.

Not all students research a school before attending. I've met plenty of students at college fairs that only care about getting "accepted" regardless of what university it is or the history of the university.

Real question...is Morris Brown worth saving?

Just asking...

Not all students research a school before attending. I've met plenty of students at college fairs that only care about getting "accepted" regardless of what university it is or the history of the university.

Real question...is Morris Brown worth saving?

Just asking...

Yes Morris Brown is worth saving. Morris Brown is a part of Atlanta. Morris Brown provided allot for the kids growing up on Northside Dr, Fair St bottom and the surrounding MLK drive area. This is what pisses me off with the transplants who move to the ATl. Folks love to harp on what Ga ST and Ga tech are doing, but it was the AUC who helped provide Atlanta with the upper middle black class you see in the city today. If not for the AUC that class wouldn't be were it was today in the ATL. I remember the time when those folks at Ga ST and Ga Tech didn't want our tales on there campus and I am not old.

Last edited:
Yes Morris Brown is worth saving. Morris Brown is a part of Atlanta. Morris Brown provided allot for the kids growing up on Northside Dr, Fair St bottom and the surrounding MLK drive area. This is what pisses me off with the transplants who move to the ATl. Folks love to harp on what Ga ST and Ga tech are doing, but it was the AUC who helped provide Atlanta with the upper middle black class you see in the city today. If not for the AUC that class wouldn't be were it was today in the ATL. I remember the time when those folks at Ga ST and Ga Tech didn't want our tales on there campus and I am not old.

with all that you said...since Morris Brown/AUC did so much for the Blacks in that area...why aren't they doing more for Morris Brown?

I liked MH's answer better.

with all that you said...since Morris Brown/AUC did so much for the Blacks in that area...why aren't they doing more for Morris Brown?

I liked MH's answer better.

Because black folks are selfish. We don't look at the big picture. When I was home the Saturday they had the fund raiser I took money by and gave it to MBC. I never forget where I come from. MBC played a big role in showing me another way out. Unfortunately allot of folks don't feel the same way as I do. Also the dynamics of that area has changed allot SS. The area mostly supported by MBC has been torn down and transplants who could care less about MBC are in that area.

Back