Morehouse College to graduate first white valedictorian in 141-year history

jelli

Music Lover
Morehouse College to graduate first white valedictorian in 141-year history
By ERRIN HAINES , Associated Press

May 11, 2008

ATLANTA - From his first day at Morehouse College ? the country's only institution of higher learning dedicated to the education of black men ? Joshua Packwood has been a standout.

His popularity got him elected dorm president as a freshman. His looks and physique made him a fashion-show favorite. His intellect made him a Rhodes Scholar finalist. His work ethic landed him a job at the prestigious investment banking firm Goldman Sachs in New York City.

But it's his skin that has made all of this an anomaly. This month, Packwood is set to take the stage and address his classmates as the first white valedictorian in Morehouse's 141-year history.

The 22-year-old from Kansas City, Mo., will graduate on May 18 with a perfect 4.0 GPA and a degree in economics.

He could have gone elsewhere, to a school like Columbia, Stanford or Yale, but his four-year journey through Morehouse has taught him a few things that they could not, and he makes it clear that he has no regrets.

"I've been forced to see the world in a different perspective, that I don't think I could've gotten anywhere else," he said. "None of the Ivies, no matter how large their enrollment is, no matter how many Nobel laureates they have on their faculty ... none of them could've provided me with the perspective I have now."

http://www.startribune.com/nation/18843174.html

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
I thought it was just me. I ain't proud of that shat!!

:lmao:

Neither am I. Another example of the "we can't have sh!t anymore" plague. Them PROUD boys of Morehouse ain't happy. They can dress it up all they want; don't believe it.

I thought it was just me. I ain't proud of that shat!!

I know I shole aint.

It was like that time in the NCAA's when everyone kept saying the 2 best players were that guy from Gonzaga and J.J. Reddins from Duke?

Yeah, Im not happy.

Yea but im talking about this situation. No one can be upset about this decision if there wasnt a student performing and achieving higher than him.

some of yall stuck on stupid..... now I expect it from Sonny because he is just going to find everything to complain about no matter what....but I expect more from others.

He earned it. Congrats to him! I'm not upset at all. The rest of the students have to be on point PERIOD.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
He earned it. Congrats to him! I'm not upset at all. The rest of the students have to be on point PERIOD.

I co-sign! I don't see anything wrong. If a brother was the Valedictiorian at Yale would you say he doesn't deserve it? Some of us are hidden racist!

I co-sign! I don't see anything wrong. If a brother was the Valedictiorian at Yale would you say he doesn't deserve it? Some of us are hidden racist!

Man you hit the nail on the head. If a brotha at Yale did this and white folx were make similar comments to what has been posted here, we would have folx ready to march on city hall.

FuKK all yall!!!!

I aint taking nothing from that white dude.
Im just mad that it happened.

Can I just be mad that a white boy is the Val of Morehouse (The BLACK HARVARD).

FuKK all yall!!!!

I aint taking nothing from that white dude.
Im just mad that it happened.

Can I just be mad that a white boy is the Val of Morehouse (The BLACK HARVARD).

:lol:

Sonny I'm quite sure the brothers busted their ass to be the top dog of the class, but it didn't happen.

This really shouldn?t be an issue, my cousin (Chemistry/Biology) major, was Valedictorian
@ Miss. State. I think there were 16 Valedictorians that year.
My question/observation is was there only one 4.00 graduate this year?
Lots of schools have more than one 4.00 graduate each year.

:lol:

Sonny I'm quite sure the brothers busted their ass to be the top dog of the class, but it didn't happen.

There were probably more 4.0ers or he might have just beat someone else out by 0.00000000001 of a point.

I aint mad at him. I just dont like the situation.

Back