Mississippi School District Ends Segregation Fight

The Founder

Ok after reading the article I want you all to play close attention to the stats at the bottom. the white school has a higher ACT score BUT the black school has a better student to teacher ratio and higher math and English proficiency scores.

Concerning ACT scores I strongly believe the location where you take the exam has some play in the score. For example high school kids taking the ACT at Tech versus GSU.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/03/14/us/cleveland-mississippi-school-desegregation-settlement/index.html

(CNN)It's a settlement five decades in the making: Beginning in August, students in Cleveland, Mississippi, will no longer attend segregated schools.

A US federal court has accepted a settlement with the Cleveland School District, by which the district's high schools and middle schools will be consolidated to accommodate all district children.

Gone will be the Trojans of predominantly black East Side High and the Wildcats of racially mixed Cleveland High. All teens will now be Cleveland Central High Wolves.

I don't understand why blacks in that town was want this. After reading the statistics the reading and math scores were higher at the all black school. Just shows you we don't have to integrate to be successful. They were higher by at 10-25%. White folks ice ain't colder. Maybe the black school had teachers actually taught.

Last edited:
Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
I don't understand why blacks in that town was want this. After reading the statistics the reading and math scores we higher at the all black school. Just shows you we don't have to integrate to be successful. They were higher by at 10-25%. White folks ice ain't colder. Maybe the black school had teachers actually taught.

The blacks didn't want....the Dept. of Justice is doing this. They did it to my high school Grambling High....which is no longer Grambling High but Lincoln Prep.

The blacks didn't want....the Dept. of Justice is doing this. They did it to my high school Grambling High....which is no longer Grambling High but Lincoln Prep.
They screwed up Huntsville too. Unfortunately many of these backwards Bama blacks thought it was a good thing to get white teachers at there schools. These white teachers aren't teaching those kids anything either. You got one or two whose teaching but for the most part Becky hates those black kids.

They screwed up Huntsville too. Unfortunately many of these backwards Bama blacks thought it was a good thing to get white teachers at there schools. These white teachers aren't teaching those kids anything either. You got one or two whose teaching but for the most part Becky hates those black kids.
That wasn't the case at Jemison... white teachers show these students more love. They show up to all sporting events... while the Black teachers talk about the kids on social media...but then you have the Black folks in the community that HATE when the white teachers are recognized for their job. They take these kids on college tours all over the WORLD... not the country.

That wasn't the case at Jemison... white teachers show these students more love. They show up to all sporting events... while the Black teachers talk about the kids on social media...but then you have the Black folks in the community that HATE when the white teachers are recognized for their job. They take these kids on college tours all over the WORLD... not the country.
I will admit Jemison lucked up but the feeder school's like Rolling Hills and several others are in trouble. Lee and Columbia are screwed too.

Last edited:
The key is to be present in these schools, watchful and intervene when needed. A great idea often gets bastardized to meet someone's need when there is not great oversight.

I stay 20 minutes from Cleveland. As others have said, black people don't want this. The feds are forcing this after a 5 decade battle. Cleveland is the only major town in the Delta that still is about half white/half black.

When we were talking about all the school districts getting consolidated in Mississippi being Delta districts (I'm still against that. Why hasn't West Tally/East Tally merged yet?) well this is just an extension of it. Some were saying that there were too many HS anyway. Well thanks to the feds, Cleveland Central is about to be a 5A powerhouse. I also think this will accelerate the white flight that is already happening in Cleveland (people that can afford are building homes outside of Cleveland, Boyle and Renova at a nice clip). I also think this will accelerate Cleveland getting a charter school

Last edited:
I stay 20 minutes from Cleveland. As others have said, black people don't want this. The feds are forcing this after a 5 decade battle. Cleveland is the only major town in the Delta that still is about half white/half black.

When we were talking about all the school districts getting consolidated in Mississippi being Delta districts (I'm still against that. Why hasn't West Tally/East Tally merged yet?) well this is just an extension of it. Some were saying that there were too many HS anyway. Well thanks to the feds, Cleveland Central is about to be a 5A powerful. I also think this will accelerate the white flight that is already happening in Cleveland (people that can afford are building homes outside of Cleveland, Boyle and Renova at a nice clip). I also think this will accelerate Cleveland getting a charter school

Yep, White fight = Urban decay! Whites move to the suburbs and new schools are built for them. Look what happened to the High Schools in Jackson, MS, all have a "F" rating.

Last edited:
JPS/ Jackson is a different situation. Even Blacks don't want to live in Jackson, and they're leaving as quickly as the Whites. Blacks in West Jackson who get on their feet move to North Jackson. Blacks who were in North Jackson have already left for Byram and Terry, but mostly Madison County (Ridgeland, Madison/ Gluckstadt) Schools like Lanier, and Provine that used to be football/ basketball powerhouses have fallen off. Jackson has been left with a lot of families that don't care about education. They're renters, meaning the tax base is diminishing which is most damaging to my city.

Concerning ACT scores I strongly believe the location where you take the exam has some play in the score. For example high school kids taking the ACT at Tech versus GSU.

I agree wholeheartedly. I took the test twice. The first time, at Provine which is a predominantly Black high school in my neighborhood. The second time, three months later, I took it at Belhaven, a predominantly white college. I scored 3 points higher than the first time. Two of my teachers told me to take it at Belhaven that second time, too, because those tests have always been known to be easier at some locations than others..

I agree wholeheartedly. I took the test twice. The first time, at Provine which is a predominantly Black high school in my neighborhood. The second time, three months later, I took it at Belhaven, a predominantly white college. I scored 3 points higher than the first time. Two of my teachers told me to take it at Belhaven that second time, too, because those tests have always been known to be easier at some locations than others..

when you take the test is a bigger deal than where. I took the test at alabama state and made a 28. but that score could have changed depending on how others around the country do on the same test date. if more people score poorly on your test date your score will be better. if you take it at the same time as better students your score will be worse. based on early admission/scholarship deadlines you can basically tell when all the "better" test takers will not be testing and you can go up against the rest of the crew.

I know I'm late but I live in Cleveland and work for the district and I can tell you this has not been an easy journey. There are so many who oppose this merger whites and blacks. It's unfortunate that we must endure to the feds because they say so. The worst part is our schools were doing better academically, now that has been taken away. The system we had in place was fine. Everyone understood and that's just the way we liked it. Now you have forced us to do something we did not want to do and left us with the bearing of seeing it through with no assistance. East Side and Cleveland High both are doing all we can to preserve the history and traditions of both programs. It's just we all know what lies ahead. Now there is one thing all people have in common and that is: Why did the colors have to change? my goodness... Hopefully we start this thing off right and go from there and see what the outcome shall be.

Now as for the white flight; so far it has not happened on the pace some of us thought. About 30 white boys showed up for spring football and that's a large number considering Cleveland High was already majority black before this merger! The district itself has done a great job of promoting this new coming but it will all come down to the first few days of school and of course what do we do on the field of play in 5A! Just know this; 5A is about to have their hands full!

Back