Mission statement for SU's Residential Life is a joke!

PushyDaBroom

My son reside in Jones Hall at SU. He was among 8 SU residents fined $250 each ($2,000 total) and ordered to perform 20 hours of community service by the Director of Residential Life.

My son was told that a room inspection found “hair on the floor†of their common living area. The common area of the suite is currently being used as a hair-cutting business by one of their suite mates. The inspection had no problem with my son’s bedroom - that was in fine shape. After some discussion, Jones Hall rescinded the 20 hours of community service. However, the Director of Residential Life did not drop the $250 fine “hair on the floor†of their common living area.

I feel my son should not have to spend his time sweeping up hair for someone who is running a barbershop business in his suite. It adds insult to injury to coerce him to do so by fining him $250.

On Southern University’s website, the mission statement for Student Affairs and Residential Life is “to offer a Living and Learning Community that is conducive to academic success, cultural and social development ....†The University should live up to it’s mission.

I will not pay a fine that forces my son to clean up after someone else’s barbershop business.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
My son reside in Jones Hall at SU. He was among 8 SU residents fined $250 each ($2,000 total) and ordered to perform 20 hours of community service by the Director of Residential Life.

My son was told that a room inspection found “hair on the floor” of their common living area. The common area of the suite is currently being used as a hair-cutting business by one of their suite mates. The inspection had no problem with my son’s bedroom - that was in fine shape. After some discussion, Jones Hall rescinded the 20 hours of community service. However, the Director of Residential Life did not drop the $250 fine “hair on the floor” of their common living area.

I feel my son should not have to spend his time sweeping up hair for someone who is running a barbershop business in his suite. It adds insult to injury to coerce him to do so by fining him $250.

On Southern University’s website, the mission statement for Student Affairs and Residential Life is “to offer a Living and Learning Community that is conducive to academic success, cultural and social development ....” The University should live up to it’s mission.

I will not pay a fine that forces my son to clean up after someone else’s barbershop business.

get use to cold showers.

Is the issue that they could not identify who is actually running the business to fine just him. Assuming no one is identifying the responsible party, the admin is only left with fining everyone who has formal access to the place. What would you recommend SU do to bring the person into compliance. ?

Is the issue that they could not identify who is actually running the business to fine just him. Assuming no one is identifying the responsible party, the admin is only left with fining everyone who has formal access to the place. What would you recommend SU do to bring the person into compliance. ?

Identification is a HUGE issue. So the dorm is punishing everyone severely - not just the culprit. There are many historical examples in history that show this kind of punishment is actually detrimental to the aim the oppressor is aiming for. So they put innocent young men in the position of having to face the consequences of ratting out a possible resident bully or pay an unjust fine. Does it occur to anyone else that the innocent residents are suffering a double dose of injury? "We declare you guilty unless you can prove otherwise?" If these adults were not living in a dorm, they would actually have some civil rights and recourse.

I'm sure my definition of "messy" differs from "messy" to a bunch of college kids. There is no martial law at SU. Jones Hall is not a military barrack. Also, there was no warning. No one said, "This is unacceptable. Clean it up. I will return in an hour. Otherwise everyone will split the cost of having it cleaned." Is the aim to play "gotcha!" or to encourage students to clean up after themselves. You alienate the very students you pretend to serve.

And that brings SU to the big epiphany: If SU was really trying to encourage the students to be neat, there wouldn't be trash all over the dorms and campuses. I've been to 3 other HBCU campuses. The campuses are attractive and tidy. Maybe SU's Residential Life czar could learn from AAMU, Alcorn State and JSU. If all the trash from the SU Homecoming can be cleaned up in less than 3 hours you ought to be able to keep one dorm clean if the students have buy-in to your policies. I'm just suggesting it since you asked me for my recommendation.

But what do I know. I'll bet I don't have the authority you have to treat these students innocent until proven guilty...

I hope your son has another place to stay, cause if you dont pay, he cant stay. SU needs that $250.

That's the point. I ain't paying so he'll be leaving with all the other students that have left. SU Residential Life has only itself to blame for losing the good students while being stuck with the troublemakers.

I am happy to report this issue is resolved. Don't know what happened or what was said but my son said there was a meeting today with all the parties involved. The result is his fine has been lifted. I appreciate the fact that cooler heads prevailed. I realize I was not one of the cooler heads since I was on the hook for the money. But when I find out who helped resolve this situation I will express my gratitude. My son also learned to immediately report and document any violations/concerns in the future or he could be held accountable, too.

Glad that was handled Push!!! Lesson Learned by all I hope.

True. If one can take anything away from SU is that you must be on your P's and Q's, and make sure you adress issues and bug the mess out of folks to get what you want. That's how it is in the real world.

Back