Mike Gundy makes the case for an eight-team playoff

Kendrick

Administrator
Staff member
Reason No. 1: There are five Power-5 conferences.
“Somebody’s going to win a conference championship and not get in,” Gundy said. “And in my opinion, I’ve said this now for three years, there should be eight, if you win your conference you’re in. So that means it’s important to win your conference.”

In two of the last three years, the Big 12’s conference champion has been left out. In 2014, the shared title between TCU and Baylor was not as powerful as Ohio State’s Big Ten title game victory.

Last year, a two-loss Oklahoma team didn’t have a strong enough case for the playoff. The Big Ten champion, Penn State, was also left out in lieu of Ohio State, a team it beat.

“You’re going to run into an issue where the human element with the committee is going to cause some concerns across the country,” Gundy said.

Gundy’s take: Expanding to eight would ensure the playoff is not entirely decided by the opinions of those in the committee room. There would be five automatic bids from power conferences, as well as …

Reason No. 2: It would give Group of 5 teams a shot.
“I’ll use Western Michigan as an example last year,” Gundy said. “Western Michigan should be in. Otherwise, you won’t ever, ever, from here on out, ever have a smaller school that has a chance to win a championship. They’re not ever going to get in because I don’t see anybody having a better year than Western Michigan did last year.”

If you’re in favor of giving the undefeated “mid-majors” a shot, Gundy has a point. Central Florida is ranked 18th in the most recent CFP ranking despite being 8-0. The Knights still play a tough game against South Florida, but even that win won’t generate enough momentum for UCF to make a challenge at the top five -- let alone the top 10.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsext...cle_6b97684b-4142-5b28-b107-baf522b370e3.html

I agree it should be 8. 6 at the least with the top 2 teams getting a bye. But right now after years of trying to get a playoff. I will take the 4. LOL.

Gundy, in this particular case, is BRILLIANT...like me. I have always argued that to do this correctly you need to have 8 teams in which all Power 5 conference champions are giving a chance to play. And you can't tell me that on any giving week, a team like Western Michigan, South Florida or Central Florida couldn't come in and upset one of the P5 schools. This ain't hard, but the powers that be are making it hard. You need to take as much as the guesswork as possible.

Gotta read death to the BCS and the case for a 16-team playoff with conference champions getting automatic bids. It could actually be put in place during the current end of the regular season and the CFP championship.

Gundy is right. 8 would satisfy the P5 schools because all of their champs would get in, no threat of Notre Dame bumping 2 champs out of a spot and it would ensure that the highest ranked G5 school could get in

16 would be perfect but right now P5 schools are pushing back for 8

4 is enough. The committee can decide the 4 best teams at the end of the regular season, for the obvious and many times quoted reasons.
8 teams... Notre dame and Okl St would be screaming loud that they should not be left out is season ended today
16 teams... miss St, Michigan, Memphis and Stanford would all be able to make a case as to why they shouldn't be left out if season ended today

16 teams:

10 conference champions get in automatically ... 6 at-large spots

committee decides seeding ... No. 1 and No. 2 seeds get home field in the first two rounds ... big bowls serve as semis and championship ...

However, the Power 5 don't wanna break bread with the Group of Five like talkin bout ...

If the playoff expands, it will be 8, not 16. If it goes to 16, you'd be asking these kids to play close to an NFL schedule.

There were players participating in the CFP last year saying they couldn't foresee playing additional postseason games because of how physically taxing it was.

I been saying 8 teams from the first year it started because I knew what was gone happen. Only reason we have a playoffs now is because of LSU and Bama, so some of that crazy magnitude would have to happen again

If the playoff expands, it will be 8, not 16. If it goes to 16, you'd be asking these kids to play close to an NFL schedule.

There were players participating in the CFP last year saying they couldn't foresee playing additional postseason games because of how physically taxing it was.

Ironic thing is they play close to an NFL amount of games in high school en route to a state championship in most cases ...

10 regular season games plus 4 playoff games to a state title in a 32-school playoff ... that's the old 14-week NFL season

Ironic thing is they play close to an NFL amount of games in high school en route to a state championship in most cases ...

10 regular season games plus 4 playoff games to a state title in a 32-school playoff ... that's the old 14-week NFL season

Those kids don't have to play a regular season schedule then possibly Bama, Clemson, Oklahoma, USC and whoever else to win a championship.

8 is the most it should ever go, otherwise you begin to water-down the regular season, however 6 may be the actual decision. They would reward the top 2 seeds with a 1st-round bye, and have the 3-6 seeds battle it out to reach the semi-finals. You can give the 5 P-5 conference champs a bid (require everyone to have a championship game) then let the top-ranked Group of 5 team be the 6 seed.

8 is the most it should ever go, otherwise you begin to water-down the regular season, however 6 may be the actual decision. They would reward the top 2 seeds with a 1st-round bye, and have the 3-6 seeds battle it out to reach the semi-finals. You can give the 5 P-5 conference champs a bid (require everyone to have a championship game) then let the top-ranked Group of 5 team be the 6 seed.

You don't actually water down the regular season. If you had auto-bids into a 8- to 16-team tournament, then that means the conference races have even more importance.

You don't actually water down the regular season. If you had auto-bids into a 8- to 16-team tournament, then that means the conference races have even more importance.

The watering down argument doesn't work when every other level of football (from HS to FCS) does it.

If you don't do auto-bids, you will end up like Tuskegee being left out due to the human element.

The watering down argument doesn't work when every other level of football (from HS to FCS) does it.

If you don't do auto-bids, you will end up like Tuskegee being left out due to the human element.

You can’t devalue winning your conference. What’s the point of even being in a conference if winning it doesn’t guarantee you a spot in a playoff/bowl game.

You can’t devalue winning your conference. What’s the point of even being in a conference if winning it doesn’t guarantee you a spot in a playoff/bowl game.

Thanks to the College Football Playoff committee last year, they opened that box putting a team in over a conference champ that beat them during the regular season. If you devalue head-to-head and conference champs, then that throws years of programming that any one who has played football has heard.

That ship sailed when Bama, which didn't even win the SEC West, played for the national title in 2011 in the BCS era.

Last edited:
Back