Mighty Marching Hornets Band Receives Tractor Trailer from Coca-Cola

Olde Hornet

Keep your eyes out for a big 18-wheeler tractor trailer wrapped with Alabama State University’s Mighty Marching Hornets branding rolling through your town or city across the nation very soon.

On Monday, October 1, the Coca-Cola Bottling Company United presented ASU with the tractor trailer during a news conference outside of the ASU Stadium. The truck will be used to move the Marching Hornets’ instruments to and from various venues, becoming another rolling billboard for ASU.

Joining President Quinton T. Ross, Jr. at the presentation were Jim Winkler, Coca-Cola representative; Col. (ret.) Gregory Clark, vice president for Institutional Advancement and executive director of the ASU Foundation; Dr. James Oliver, band director; Dr. Wendy Coleman, dean of the College of Visual and Performing Arts; and other ASU faculty and staff.

“It’s a Great Time to be a Hornet. This is a statement to let you know that when the ‘best band in the land’ arrives anywhere, they will know that we are coming. We are so excited about this opportunity to display (our new truck)…This is a moving billboard, everyone. This is enrollment, everyone. A mobile billboard truck is a unique and eye-catching way to get information out to the student body and the larger community. People will know how to contact The Alabama State University, ‘Where History is Made.’ We are excited for our band, we are excited to display this awesome talent, and so excited about the collaborative partnership that came together to make all this possible,” Ross said.

Ross made it a point to thank everyone who was involved. “I want to thank Col. Clark for his visionary leadership along with Dr. James Oliver. This is all a part of a collaborative partnership with our Provost Office, and with all who love, live and work here at Alabama State University,” Ross said.

👏👏👏👏👏👏

Explain to me why a band needs an equipment truck. Honest question. I'm a little ignorant about bands.

Explain to me why a band needs an equipment truck. Honest question. I'm a little ignorant about bands.

HBCU Bands have more equipment to move than HBCU Football teams. Have you the size and number of brass instrument cases and percussion equipment cases they have. It's hard to put all of that equipment under the buses.

I wonder is this truck set up like some of these other band equipment trucks are set up.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVsbKk4U0tc&t=76s

Depends on the instrument types and how many of them there are. Im not gonna act as if it's 100% necessary but it's not abnormal.

Yea but it's like 6 busses. I dont see it as any different as people going on a trip and they have suitcases. So what goes under the bus?

bro we've told you 100 times lol. let me break it down with pics and ill use a year I marched at State..2008 when we had the biggest HBCU band in the country

first off...we had 30 sousaphones. Sousaphone cases are huge. They had to put some of their cases on different buses..which takes up space and causes kids on that bus to put their cases on a different bus as well. Everything gets mixed up and you may ride on bus 5, but your case is on bus 2.
4e331406-cc7b-4d83-9044-a4b6d811085c_1.da253de78e3cdf6b27bd41a9bd2138ba.jpeg

baritone/euphonium case
e916412c89e1HmJ9ZYjVISk80h20AoaypduHGdtW.wm-dh.jpg

trombone case
Tenor-Trombone-Case-1200D-Nylon-Trombone-Brass-Instrument-Kit-Bag-Tenor-Brass-Instrument-Bag-Cover-Trombone.jpg

mellophone case
fqehh2crp7xqwejvbqib.jpg

trumpet case
GC-TRUMPET_ANGLEGEAR.jpg

saxophone case

images

not to mention cases for the drummers
41510b42-1900-4260-951c-2d56da4c0c8a.771604a1ba6fc534ea48d71a1c5b55a1.jpeg

260396_1.jpg

hwrr2opl7xzrwv8yezre.jpg

(HBCUS dont use the chest piece..id imagine its a seperate case for that so you wont damage the drum heads)

Marching_Tenor_Case_2_KMC2.jpg

1697646373853.jpeg

then you have cases of water/gatorade, flags, banners, whatever the dance team needs, and if its an overnight trip, then extra clothes. I hated traveling to a place where we stayed overnight because we had to have our uniforms with us on the bus in your lap. We didnt have room to do a damn thing. A truck isnt a necessity. But it makes life easier for my MMH.

I know what instruments look like. I started in the band in 4th grade. Sooooo you basically just said the instruments can go under the bus. Also, it's called an equipment truck, not instrument truck so what is the equipment?

(I cant believe you took all that time to post instrument photos)

I know what instruments look like. I started in the band in 4th grade. Sooooo you basically just said the instruments can go under the bus. Also, it's called an equipment truck, not instrument truck so what is the equipment?

(I cant believe you took all that time to post instrument photos)

Did you completely gloss over members having their instruments on other buses? And everything getting mixed up? Did you not see my post about uniforms, flags & stuff for the dancers as well?

I posted pics because you keep asking dumb ass questions and we’ve told you 100 times what the deal is.

Idk if you’re upset about a band having a truck like the football team or whatever, but I clearly said we can make due with the buses but a truck would be a god send

Did you completely gloss over members having their instruments on other buses? And everything getting mixed up? Did you not see my post about uniforms, flags & stuff for the dancers as well?

I posted pics because you keep asking dumb ass questions and we’ve told you 100 times what the deal is.

Idk if you’re upset about a band having a truck like the football team or whatever, but I clearly said we can make due with the buses but a truck would be a god send
Seems to me that the solution to that is organization. If you have 30 tubas, put 5 on each bus WITH the person who plays them and do the same for each instrument. Also, if they get them mixed up from one bus to the other, they still have to get off a bus and find it on an equipment truck. 🤣

I'm not upset. Just confused. There's nothing wrong with having the truck. I'm just not sold on the need.

Back