Mighty Hornet

MightyDog

After reading Cole's comment about guys were more concerned about painting their shoes gold than playing football it reminds me of all the coaches who we have hired over the years. It does not matter if the coach is from Alabama State or AAMU they don't understand the Magic Classic until they lose one. When we as Alumni try to explan the hype of the game they don't listen.

I guess when they come to Alabama they are shocked beyound belief that this in not just another ball game.

I had to smile when Cole mentioned the gold shoes. This is the game that every kid from Alabama dream about playing in. This is something that Cole will not be able to understand or any of the coaches who are not familiar with the Magic City Classic. Yes, they are going to paint shoes, use extra tape, linemen squeezing into running back pants size 36 and he may as well get use to it when Tuskegee, ALSt, Miles and AAMU play.

The MCC has always been huge. With A&M now in the SWAC, the game is even bigger. Since we now have the top teams in the East (eat your washed-up hearts out jsue :bawling: ), everything is in place for the MCC to be the premiere classic in the SWAC. That other one in Louisiana aint competitive.
If Cole didn't understand the importance last year, I'm sure he knows all about it now. Expect a battle royal on Oct. 27

Alabama, The Football Capital of the South!!!

Gold-painted shoes......Looks like you guys REALLY mean business

Lookout SWAC, there's a new sheriff in town.
:eek:

MD,

You make some pretty good points in your post.

We have to remember that Bama State's coaching staff came from Tennesee, and most of its football players came from California. Consequently, they were not familiar with what is THE MOST INTENSE CLASSIC GAME IN BLACK COLLEGE FOOTBALL.

They are now.

Even though Cole had coached in the Southern Heritage Classic before 50,000 plus, and the Atlanta Classic before 30,000 plus, he and the players still had not experienced the Magic City Classic. Those other two classics are not "intra-state" rivalries, and thus lack the intensity of the MCC.

Until you have sat in Legion Field on a crisp fall afternoon with the hopes of 60,000 Hornets and Bulldogs hinging on every play, you have not been to a Black College Football Game.

Cooper found out just what kind of game the MCC is when the Hornets came back from a 28-0 deficit to win 34-28 in his first MCC. Now Cole knows how it feels to lose this game, and I'm sure he does not like the feeling.

This game could break the 75,000 mark this year.

Duece, I can not begin to describe the shock on Coop's face after the game.

No score is safe in the Magic City Classic.

I was talking to the AD around twelve and I mentioned the gold shoes.

He said everybody knows this is dress up date.

I knew the California guys would not understand what they were about to experience.

During those years we lost so many in a row we had too many out of state ball players. They never understood what was going on. Back in the day you did not want to go back home and lost Alabama Championship.

For those who don't know we had a thing among athletes called the Alabama Championship. Tuskegee, Miles, Alabama State and Alabama A&M. We played each other every year and to win all three games was a major task. You had to play against your homeboys. These guys made sure you were abused in every game. Nothing came easy. They would come to your domitory and tell you what they were going to do before the game. I am talking about when teams were housed on each other campuses.

My prediction........

The winner of the MCC will be the EAST Division Champions and will obviously be in the SCG III. Whine your hearts out jsue :bawling: :bawling:

Originally posted by Deuce

Until you have sat in Legion Field on a crisp fall afternoon with the hopes of 60,000 Hornets and Bulldogs hinging on every play, you have not been to a Black College Football Game.

Umm...not trying to steal you Bamas thunder or anything. But are you serious w/ this statement. Maybe saying BCF in Alabama. But BCF as a whole. Come on......

Okay I'm done. You guy can continue to stroke each others ego's now!

What about the walking crowd

MD & MH

I hear all this hype and stuff, the attendance is there the turnsiles don't lie. I have been to a few MCC and what I can't seem to understand is the the 20-30k folks who do nothing but walk around the circle for the entire game. I know everyone hopes is not hanging on every play. Many come to see and be seen.

Help me understand those folks, I know you two can't be in that number, you watching the game, right.

Tim,

Just like any big game, there are some folks there just to be seen.
No walking around for me. I'm there for the game. All the other stuff happens before and after the game!!!!
I'm sure yall have folks styling and profiling at the Bayou Classic too.

Fortunately they are out of sight

MH

There are many who walk at the BC, but they are out of sight, the circle in the Superdome is behind the stands. Secondly, the BC is not a dressup affair. Everybody wears their school colors, t-shirts, sweats, jeans, etc.

The last MCC I went to, I felt underdressed. But, I do understand that it is a holdover from another generation.

The MCC is nearly 60 years old and back then, it was good to have an affair to go to where you got all dressed up. If you have ever looked at pictures of the old Negro Baseball League you will see people with their Sunday best on in the middle of summer. Men even wearing hat and top coats. So, I know that some of it is a holdover.

Re: What about the walking crowd

Originally posted by Timbuktu Jag
MD & MH

I hear all this hype and stuff, the attendance is there the turnsiles don't lie. I have been to a few MCC and what I can't seem to understand is the the 20-30k folks who do nothing but walk around the circle for the entire game. I know everyone hopes is not hanging on every play. Many come to see and be seen.

Help me understand those folks, I know you two can't be in that number, you watching the game, right.

But TimJag:

There are ALWAYS thousands who walk around the whole time, but are you thinking that the numbers come from TICKET SALES or by the turnstiles? Even with the "Walking Association", Legion Field is thick ALL THE WAY AROUND! If they opened up that upper level, it would be even more! :D

Re: What about the walking crowd

Originally posted by Timbuktu Jag
MD & MH

Tim......

It (the walking around) has been that way for years!!!!!!!! The B'ham Parks & Rec Board would have to open the upper deck if we could get the 20k - 30k who are milling around inside the stadium (those who never, never take a seat for any reason) and the 15k-20k outside tailgating and hanging out seeing and being seen.

I have been attending The Classic since 1956 and you can count on certain people and groups not to sit down. As a matter of fact, there are people who will save all year long for that 'special' outfit, jump cleaner than a Mississippi Sheriff on Election Day, go to the game and leave without having seen one play!!! Why do you have some 20-30k who will not sit down is anybody's guess......other than renewing old memories and friendships??

You must remember that 30 years ago no one...........neither STATE or AAMU would be caught at this game without being totally dressed up with men in suits & ties and women with the full compliment including their mink & fox coats and hats!!! Keep in mind some of those games were played when the temp was in the high 70's and low 80's!!!

I guess this is the one chance a year that people get to renew their old High School and College aquaintences. They get to see those friends that went off to the other school (either A&M or STATE) that they do not get to see that often. It is the oldest rivalry in the State. It's a happening! It is hard to explain unless you have experienced it. It is family against family, husband against wife, parents against children when the last Saturday in October rolls around!!

MIGHTY DOG brought the perspective of the game closer to home with his statements about understanding this game and what it means to the ENTIRE State of ALABAMA. I understand the
Governor of the State has been attending this game since 1952!! Ask former Mayor Richard Arrington how much revenue that game brings into the city of B'ham.......millions!!

Re: Re: What about the walking crowd

Originally posted by STRAWDOG

. . . It is the oldest rivalry in the State . . .

Great post STRAW,

But one quick correction, Bama State has been playing Skegee since 1901 and has been playing A&M since 1924.

I am one of the ones that walks around in the first quarter and I do it for ONE REASON. Growing up in Alabama, most black students either go to AAMU or BAMA ST. The Magic City Classic is more than a football game. Sometimes it is the ONLY time you have to see friends from the other school. I have MANY friends at ASU so I always make sure i walk around their side (in the very early part of the game) so I can see old friends. The Magic City Classic is something like a statewide homecoming. If you are not from Alabama it will take you a while to understand it.

I have explained this once about why folks dress up at the Magic City Classis. Some fans who dress up today don't understand and even our Alumni and people who move to Alabama don't understand. I will attempt to explain it again. Back in the 1900s during the hard core days of segregation blacks were often arrested for anything, talking, looking, spitting, and etc. B'ham was a growing city and need plenty of workers. A lot of blacks were arrested and forced to work free as chain gang members. Those who were arrested were forced to work in coal and ore mines and build roads in and around the city. Students were asked to dress up for the game to avoid automatic arrest. By wearing your best clothing, students were not easy targets, and did not get arrested. The tradition that you see today was one of the survival techniques use by blacks to get through the system.

My Dad taught me many survival techniques. My Day never left home without wearing a suit. When he would take me places they would call him preacher. I asked him why they called him preacher, he said they won't bother you when they think you know something.

Why is it still going on today? Most people dressed up because everybody did it. But on the students and faculty did it for a reason.

Blacks in B'ham were some of the best dressers in America and many of them come to the game to show off their new outfits. Although not being students they joined in and are still doing it today.

I came across this information by reading the AAMU archives.

The players who Cole mentioned about painting their shoes gold, knows something about looking your best in B'ham. Dressing up and walking and finding friends is the Magic City Classic. It is the score that counts, did we win or lose.

About twenty thousand go shopping and never go to the game.

Back