Meet the New Ravens: Randy Hymes

b8sball17

Baltimore Sun

Randy Hymes
Meet the new Ravens
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally published August 8, 2002

Position: Wide receiver

College: Grambling

Who he is: The rookie free agent was Grambling's Offensive Player of the Year as a senior. He played quarterback and wide receiver. He was also a member of the men's basketball team and competed in the long jump. He led the Tigers to a second straight Division I Black College and Southwestern Athletic Conference title, going 8-0 as a starting QB.

Favorite football moment: "Right now, it's just being here. It's every little guy's dream."

Most interesting thing he brought to camp: "I brought the opportunity for me. I brought my competitiveness, but that's about it."

Ravens mentor: Travis [Taylor] and Brandon [Stokley]; they're two guys that play my position right now. I really look up to those guys."

What he misses most from home: "The cooking, the food from your mom, aunts and your grandmas."

Best part of camp: "Getting to meet the fans. ... You don't get this in college a lot."

- Mary Beth Kozak

Don't leave off my dog like that now !!!!

Kenyon Hambrick
Meet the new Ravens
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally published August 1, 2002

Position: Wide receiver

College: Alabama A&M

Who he is: He signed as a free agent this year. At Alabama A&M, he totaled 1,320 yards on 101 receptions and 12 touchdowns. Hambrick just returned from NFL Europe, where he played for the Amsterdam Admirals. He finished fourth on the team with 28 receptions for 407 yards and three touchdowns.

Whom he admires: "I admire Keyshawn Johnson. I always watched him when I was growing up. I just like the way he plays and competes."

What he misses about home: "I miss my family and my little boy. But this is a business so I have to do what I have to to provide for them, but they understand that."

What he brought to camp: "I brought PlayStation 2. We play that all the time when we have free time. My favorite game is NCAA 2002."

What it feels like to practice in 100-degree weather: "It doesn't feel too good. It feels like someone is on your back, but you've just got to go out there."

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Keep an eye on ...

Originally published August 9, 2002

Position: Defensive line. With ends Michael McCrary and Tony Weaver injured, the Ravens' starting front three is Kelly Gregg and Marques Douglas at ends and Maake Kemoeatu at nose tackle. In his cameo appearance, linebacker Ray Lewis will find out if this tandem can shield blockers from him, allowing him to roam free to make tackles.

Veteran: Right tackle Edwin Mulitalo. After forming a dominant left side with Jonathan Ogden for three years, Mulitalo has shifted from left guard to right tackle. The experiment receives its first test, with Mulitalo squaring off against three-time Pro Bowl defensive end Robert Porcher.

Rookie: Punter Dave Zastudil. The left-footer out of Ohio University has looked shaky at times in camp and missed some practices recently with a heel injury. Fans are eager to see the punter who was surprisingly taken by the Ravens in the fourth round.

On the bubble: Receivers Randy Hymes and D. J. Humphries. These undrafted rookies are not polished pass-catchers, but each has shown athletic ability. They are competing for one of the final receiving spots.

Injury report: Running backs Jamal Lewis (knee) and Chester Taylor (ankle), defensive ends McCrary (knee) and Weaver (ankle), outside linebacker Peter Boulware (ankle) and cornerback Gary Baxter (hamstring) are not expected to play.

- Jamison Hensley

I saw Hymes play last night in the Ravens-Lions preseason game. He caught 1 or 2 passes thrown to him, but the announcers had some positive things to say about him. They said a few words about his time at Grambling, and how the Ravens are looking for big things from him.

I saw my old roommate from Alabama State's brother, Calvin Pearson, score a touchdown for the Browns on sportscenter last night. Who'd a thunk he would've made it to the league.

Our guys are moving on up. We will be seeing more SWAC in the highlights as the years go on.

Back