MEAC Schools Dominate Top 10 List for Awarding Baccalaureate Degrees to African Amer

LaMont

According to the latest edition of Black Issues in Higher Education, 6 MEAC schools were listed in the Top 10 for awarding BA/BS degrees to African Americans. Only 3 SWAC schools made the Top 10 list.

Rank School BA Degrees Awarded
1. Florida A&M 1239
2. Southern A&M 1005
3. Howard University 955
4. Tennessee State 865
5. North Carolina A&T 825
6. Hampton University 747
7. Norfolk State University 709
8. Jackson State University 699
9. Morgan State University 680
10. Grambling State University 643

I guess my question is, are the MEAC schools that much larger, in general, than SWAC schools? If not, what are the factors to contribute to the MEAC?s domination of this Top 10 list.

LaMont

Note: Quantity of degrees awarded does not indicate quality!

Re: MEAC Schools Dominate Top 10 List for Awarding Baccalaureate Degrees to African

Originally posted by LaMont
Note: Quantity of degrees awarded does not indicate quality!

No quantity does not indicated quality, but that is not the case here. All of the schools mentioned on this list are quality schools. But I think the numbers are indicative of each of the schools' enrollment.

Grambling's enrollment is steadly on the decline. As I understand it, enrollment will be well below 5000 students. When I went there, enrollment was damn near 8000.

Lamont

If you look at the those rating they equal about ten percent of each school's total enrollment. The numbers seems right, but they aren't. I also know that the decline at Grambling is no more and the enrollment is back to the 6000 level, give or take a few. And Let's not forget that SU is a system and is the Largest Black University in North America. Somehow, I believe Texas Southern was left out. The last time I checked the enrollment at TSU was around 9500-10500, It stands to reason that they graduated more than 640 and missed the top Ten list, So there might be a problem here somewhere. As a matter of fact SUNO is nearing the 5000 mark itself. Further, the enrollment a PV is nearing 6500, Xavier with an enrollment of about 3500 possibly has the best graduating rate among all HBCU for four years of studies. :idea: :idea: :ebrow: :ebrow:

I would say the MEAC and SWAC are about equal and graduate about the same numbers.

All of The HBCU will be on a decline, if BUSH gets his wishes and kills all of the Clinton's College programs. It could soon look like 1963.

Graduation rates not for Southern University system

The number of graduates reported for Southern University is for the Baton Rouge campus only. It does not reflect the graduates from the Shreveport, New Orleans and Law Center campuses.

BTW, there are five Black law schools in the United States: Southern University Law Center, Baton Rouge, LA; Thurgood Marshall School of Law, Texas Southern University, Houston, TX; Howard University School of Law, Washington, D. C.; and Florida A & M University College of Law, Orlando, FL.

FAMU College of Law will welcome its first class of students this fall. They reopened 3 years ago after being closed since 1968.

We wish them the best and look forward to them once again answering the sacred mission of educating African Americans in the law.

From Montgomery Advertiser

Alabama ST. is ranked third among the nation's top 100 four-year colleges and universities in the number of bachelor's degrees in education earned by minorities.
June the rankings was reported in the June2002 issue of Black Issues In Higher Education, which presented its"11th Annual Special Report of the Top 100 Degree producers,2002," for undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees.

Alabama A&M ranked sixth.

Back