MBA vs. M.S.(Business Related Concentration)

MBAs are more generalized than MS graduate degrees.......I guess it also depends on your professional goals...........

That's a hard one to answer. Guess it would have to be evaluated on an individual basis and determined what would be more beneficial to you, your situation or career goals.

Personally, I have several friends who've either an MBA's or MS and their careers took off, others it didn't do much at all!

It really depends on your field and your career goals. Your best bet is to get your career started and then determine which degree works for you. In some cases, you may find that you may not even need a Master's at all outside of personal satisfaction.

I have seen a lot of people put the cart before the horse and end up not achieving the desired result. Basically, running out to get a Master's without at least having some credible work experience to back it up may not be the best option. I finished my MBA three years ago, but it didn't really start working for me until I had a easily-translated job title and solid professional work experience under my belt.

It really depends on your field and your career goals. Your best bet is to get your career started and then determine which degree works for you. In some cases, you may find that you may not even need a Master's at all outside of personal satisfaction.

I have seen a lot of people put the cart before the horse and end up not achieving the desired result. Basically, running out to get a Master's without at least having some credible work experience to back it up may not be the best option. I finished my MBA three years ago, but it didn't really start working for me until I had a easily-translated job title and solid professional work experience under my belt.

Agreed. In business, experience is everything. I wouldn't recommend going directly from undergrad and into a full-time MBA program and less you just want to continue enjoying the college life, lol. Most people I know graduated and worked f/t and were getting their MBA through a part-time program. That turned out to be very lucrative for them.

Would you tell an 18 year old not to go to college first get you some work experience first? When I graduated with my B.S. my first job did not require a degree. That is the same thing to me.

Would you tell an 18 year old not to go to college first get you some work experience first? When I graduated with my B.S. my first job did not require a degree. That is the same thing to me.

I understand what you are trying to say, but this is really apples and oranges.

I have been the individual coming out of undergrad without a lot of work experience as well as the individual coming out of grad school with work experience that didn't necessarily apply to the jobs in question. As a result, I can tell you first-hand that it is NOT the same scenario. In most cases, the person coming out of undergrad and the person coming out of grad school are not (or should not be) going for the same positions. The job that I have now and the jobs that I applied for after finishing grad school are light years ahead of the jobs I had and applied for coming out of undergrad.

With all of that being said, I would still advise an 18-year-old to take his butt straight to college unless he is going to pick up a trade or go to the military. This of course is with the presumption that they were looking at college as an option. Even if you come out of school at 21-23 and end up at a job that doesn't require a degree, you will still end up ahead of the game in the long run.

Even before I finished grad school I still wound up in better shape than my old co-workers who either never went to college or dropped out. A lot of those people are still in the same jobs (or similar jobs) making the same pay. It is better to start college at 18 and go straight through than to be 28 wishing that you had.

I think it depends on your career goals. For me, after I left Alcorn, I went directly to Graduate School. After finishing, I got a job and now I'm working in my field, but my career goals have changed and I see where a business-related degree or certificate program would compliment my master's degree. If I had a chance to go back, which I still have the option, I'd go for an MBA with an concentration in Operations or Industrial Mangement, simply because my background is NOT business. The business-related M.S. degrees may be more for those with undergraduate degrees in the field. Like, a Master of Public Accountancy would do nothing for me but confuse me... but for an undergrad in Accounting, it would be a good step.

I may be getting another Masters Degree myself. I'm thinking about getting a Masters of Systems Engineering from George Mason. The company is paying for it, so that's why I'm even considering it.

I may be getting another Masters Degree myself. I'm thinking about getting a Masters of Systems Engineering from George Mason. The company is paying for it, so that's why I'm even considering it.

If the company is paying for it, then go for it!

do they have PhDs in your field?

Actually I have met a few people that have PHD's in my field. Not a lot of them, but a few. Some people here have B.S. degrees and are making 6-figures. Having more degrees doesn't always equate to bigger salaries or higher positions.

Actually I have met a few people that have PHD's in my field. Not a lot of them, but a few. Some people here have B.S. degrees and are making 6-figures. Having more degrees don't always equate to bigger salaries or higher positions.

So what are the benefits of having a PhD in your field?

So what are the benefits of having a PhD in your field?

Not getting hired unless you work for the government. :lol: No one wants to carry all that high salary dead weight to use big words and can't apply it.

Not getting hired unless you work for the government. :lol: No one wants to carry all that high salary dead weight to use big words and can't apply it.

I agree. Doctoral degrees tend to only hold weight in academia. You don't need a Ph.D or a DBA to advance in the private sector.

To echo buckwheat1911, higher degrees do not always mean higher salaries. A lot of us on this thread probably make more than the starting salaries of some professors with terminal degrees. As far as Master's degrees go, my experience has been that most folks have to go to other companies in order to make their Master's work for them. It is rare to see someone get a Master's and get moved up in the same company they were in unless they were already pegged for advancement. A lot of people at my soon-to-be former job went back to school only to end up still sitting in the same cubicle after the fact.

Back