Man shot in chest on JSU campus


Seeing Spots

Joyful Woman!
http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050826/NEWS01/50826007
August 26, 2005


[font=Times New Roman, Times, serif][font=Arial,Helvetica][size=+1]Man shot in chest on JSU campus[/font]

[font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica][size=-2]The Clarion-Ledger
[/size][/font]
A man was shot in the chest today on the Jackson State University campus during an altercation in the student union's first floor, officials said.

It wasn't immediately known if the man, transported to the University of Mississippi Medical Center, was a JSU student. His condition also was not immediately known. The shooting apparently occurred shortly after 1 p.m. on the first floor of the student union near the campus bookstore.

"We have one young man in the hospital, and one young man in custody," JSU President Ronald Mason said.

"I don't know the reason. It's a real tragic thing."

Campus police apprehended the alleged gunman, Mason said. It was not immediately known if he was a JSU student.


[/size][/font]http://http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050826/NEWS01/50826007
 

Seeing Spots

Joyful Woman!
Although, I rarely agree with Get Ready, he is right, it was inappropriate to post this tragic incident on the Smack Board and "wrap it around" the demise of the football program at JSU. Assinine, in poor taste, idiotic, narrow minded, all that!

It is better to have this information posted here and the Prayer Board, but whenever happens "bad" at any HBCU, all of us are affected/effected. For those who seek to destory us, it gives them ammunition in their many attempts to diminish our purpose, our mission, our validity, our existence.

But let me remind all of you, when a similar incident happened at Southern University, it was in fact FODDER for the Smack Board, particularly and especially by the person who now deems it inappropriate.

Hmmmmm...funny how that happens.

Praying for the student shot, the shooter, their families and for the entire Jackson State University family.
 

pbla

Focus
Thoughts are with the famlies. This hurts all of the HBCU's image. I hope the young man will be OK.I wonder what was so bad that someone had to put a bullet into someone else. Like I told someone the other day, I'm so tired of this so call "thug mentality" that our youth have adopted. If you put on the costume you tend to act the part.
 

Warndalyn

Postmaster General!!!
WOW, so sorry to hear this...another disturbing article. May GOD bless the victim & his family...and may justice be well served. :(

This was posted on the smack board? :smh:
 

TruBluJAG

Smooth as ICE '06' Style
Man these punk ARSE kids too dayum quick to pull a gun these days. Schyatt, is you have beef and just fell you have to throw down, swing those hands and fight like a man. "L" if you get your ARSE kicked, atleast you live to see another day.

These fools pull guns out like there ain't no consequences. Only one or two things happen. You can either kill the other person and go to jail or the two of you can both kill each other. :cry:
 

ASU2002

Well-Known Member
Prayers to the all that are involved and the JSU family. That's all we need for them to downgrade our school even more than they already do.
 

cat daddy

Active Member
I'm always disappointed when I read these types of stories. Why are people so quick to pull a gun nowadays?
 

staggalee83

War & Thunder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

It's the "Keep it real" mentality.

Then afterwards, when reality hit's they arse, they start crying like punks for someone to call their MOMMA. :whine:
 

Vinita

Let's Go Lions, GO!
JSUII said:
Prayers up to all involved. I don't understand our children anymore. :shame:

A 32 year old graduate student is hardly a child.

WTF he need with a gun on a college campus, anyway?

My thoughts are with the injured, but he should have STFU, too ...
 

TRU3000

A&M #1
so a 32 yr old grad student shot the guy. I hope this was not the case..it looks like someone was steaming because they got embarassed by a young fraternity member..

stag was the 30 somethin yr old trying to "keep it real"?......
 

PV-PRIDE

Well-Known Member
Shooting at JSU could have been avoided

By Eric Stringfellow
estringfellow@clarionledger.com

A key element of Allen Rouse's Saturday ritual is a visit to the barber, and this weekend was no exception.

Shortly after Rouse and son arrived at the Tiger Modernized Barber Shop inside the Jackson State University Campus Union, Rouse joined the animated dialogue about guns, fraternities and individual responsibility.


The fodder was provided the day before, when a student was shot near the bookstore around the corner from the barbershop. The gunfire sent students and others scrambling.

"This hurts," said Rouse, 40, a 1988 JSU graduate. "Someone needs to sit these young men down and remind them that they have to be cognizant of what they do and what they say. This is not what their founders had in mind."

Rouse was referring to some members of the JSU chapter of Omega Psi Phi Fraternity Inc., and he is right.

Turf wars

University officials said Friday's shooting was rooted in an incident that took place near two benches painted in the Omegas' colors and widely accepted as the fraternity's space. Ryan Mack, 32, a graduate student who is not an Omega, apparently did or said something that offended several members near the benches, authorities said.

The Omegas followed Mack into the union, and a physical altercation resulted. At some point, Mack pulled out a 9mm handgun and allegedly shot Benjamin Hart in the upper abdomen, officials said. Hart, a senior from Inverness who is an Omega, is in fair condition at the University of Mississippi Medical Center.

Mack is charged with aggravated assault and possession of a firearm on state property. Two others, Anthony Hales, 20, and Kenneth Hair, 21, are charged with disorderly conduct. Hales and Hair are both Omegas. Hales plays football.

The turf wars among fraternities, athletic teams and regular students have become cliche.

Who's responsible?

It's hard to fault JSU for Friday's shooting, unless every visitor and student is searched daily. And, based on the brisk activity in the union and on campus Saturday, safety was not a concern.

Mack's alleged behavior is extremely questionable. Why would anyone bring a deadly weapon to campus and challenge members of an organization unless he was looking for trouble?

Some student Omegas have earned a reputation for being loud and obnoxious with appetites for confrontation. The founding principles do not include such behavior, and the fraternity's adult advisers have work to do. If Omegas are indeed campus leaders, they should have figured out a way to diffuse the tension instead of fueling it by following Mack into the union as alleged. Mack, although armed, appeared to be walking away.

One of Mack's parents is a JSU faculty member, but Mack is an adult. His parents are not responsible for his behavior. He alone is accountable.

"There is no way he didn't know the unwritten rules relating to fraternities, but I guarantee you he was provoked," Rouse said.

This sentiment, based on the Omegas' reputation, was prevalent in the barbershop, but not nearly as popular as the one suggesting the episode could have and should have been avoided.
 

Dr. Sweet NUPE

New Member
Seeing Spots said:
Although, I rarely agree with Get Ready, he is right, it was inappropriate to post this tragic incident on the Smack Board and "wrap it around" the demise of the football program at JSU. Assinine, in poor taste, idiotic, narrow minded, all that!

It is better to have this information posted here and the Prayer Board, but whenever happens "bad" at any HBCU, all of us are affected/effected. For those who seek to destory us, it gives them ammunition in their many attempts to diminish our purpose, our mission, our validity, our existence.

But let me remind all of you, when a similar incident happened at Southern University, it was in fact FODDER for the Smack Board, particularly and especially by the person who now deems it inappropriate.

Hmmmmm...funny how that happens.

Praying for the student shot, the shooter, their families and for the entire Jackson State University family.
This was posted on the Smack Board? Whomever posted it there should be banned from the page indefinitely.....
 

TRU3000

A&M #1
TheScribe said:
these kids are so out of control. i wish they could find other ways to deal with their anger.
Im sorry but a 32 yr old is not a kid....the guy who did the shooting was a "grown idiot". Whomever raised this "grown up" did a poor job instilling common sense a few decades earlier when he was a "kid"
 

Fortitude

Sybarite
TRU3000 said:
Im sorry but a 32 yr old is not a kid....the guy who did the shooting was a "grown idiot". Whomever raised this "grown up" did a poor job instilling common sense a few decades earlier when he was a "kid"
Hmmmm
 

jag4life

Well-Known Member
I think what might be just as sad is that the Omegas got into a PHYSICAL altercation with dude about a damn BENCH.
 

AAMU Alum

Active Member
TruBluJAG said:
Man these punk ARSE kids too dayum quick to pull a gun these days. Schyatt, is you have beef and just fell you have to throw down, swing those hands and fight like a man. "L" if you get your ARSE kicked, atleast you live to see another day.

These fools pull guns out like there ain't no consequences. Only one or two things happen. You can either kill the other person and go to jail or the two of you can both kill each other. :cry:

Co-sign.

Why do our kids seem to be so fascinated with guns and violence? What will become of them?

:smh:
 

Vinita

Let's Go Lions, GO!
jag4life said:
I think what might be just as sad is that the Omegas got into a PHYSICAL altercation with dude about a damn BENCH.
Hell, I had to threaten one with a damned bottle @ Homecoming one year because someone bumped into me and I accidentally ended up in their damned ROCKS @ their TREE.

Dumbass damned near dislocated my shoulder snatching me out of the rocks before I could even step out of them for myself. :mad:
 

AAMU Alum

Active Member
Ignorance and stupidity on BOTH sides....

To initiate an altercation with someone about a BENCH, is the height of ignorance!


A 32 yr. old bringing a GUN to a college campus, and instigating an argument/altercation with STUDENTS on said campus, is the height of stupidity!


What will we do, people? What will we do?
 
Top