LSU extends Miles' contract through 2012

ToPdOg

BATON ROUGE, La. -- LSU head football coach Les Miles signed a contract extension Thursday to keep him at the university through 2012 and end speculation that Miles might leave for a job at the University of Michigan.

"I'm thrilled to be here. I'm thrilled to be LSU's head coach. I'm thrilled to be on the campus," Miles told the LSU Board of Supervisors before signing the deal.

"I look forward to many years as the LSU head coach," he added.

The contract extension requires approval of the full governing board, which is expected to be a formality when the board meets Friday. The board's athletic committee approved the extension Thursday with nearly all board members present.

The agreement doesn't change Miles' salary, which will already rise to at least $2.8 million annually based on LSU's Southeastern Conference championship this year. An SEC championship win requires Miles' salary to be at least the third highest in the conference.

If LSU wins the national championship, the contract provides Miles would become among the nation's top-earning college football coaches, no less than the third highest-paid. University officials estimate that would put his annual earnings between $3.2 million and $3.5 million -- but that could grow depending on contract negotiations with other coaches around the country.

Link to full article

Back