Louisiana SWAC Peeps, please help

EPMD

<font color=navy>I've been trying to get started on my family geneology for my father's side of the family. I'm at a dead end because when he was alive, he was unable to speak about his family due to illness. He was older than most people who have children my age also so most of the people who knew more than I do have passed as well. The furthest I can trace his family, which is not very far, is to his old hometown, Lake Providence, LA. I've found several people there who share my surname, a slightly uncommon one, but they are all white people.

As you would probably guess, the library and city hall in a town like Lake Providence ain't exactly ONLINE and WIRED so I was wondering if there happened to be anyone in that area who could find a moment to or a friend to do a public records check for a birth certificate or something or, if not, knows of a service that can do the same. Maybe Grambling is close to this town, I believe it is in that neck of the woods. At any rate, this would be a great help to me because, as I'm sure you know, this kind of geneological info is very often very had to come by when the subject is black folks. So, if anyone feels like a super-slueth, please respond to me here or contact me via e-mail. My address is in my profile.

Thank you,

-ep

U.S. Congressman Bill Jefferson (La. D) is also from there. My wife is from Tallulah right up the road.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
<font color=navy>Do you think the congressman's office or any of your wife's relatives can pass along any advice or help? I'd like to do it myself but there just any any convenient time for me to travel to Lake Providence, LA. If there's a way to do it via mail, web or fax I'd be willing to go that route. I'm not trying sit back and get people to do my leg work for me. I just need a point in the right direction.

-ep

EPMD, I found my family history in the Alabama Archives and the Mississippi relatives found the same type of information in the Mississippi Archives.

The record in Alabama provided records from the day blacks were brought into Alabama. However, it does takes time. The 1890 Census records were destoryed by fire which caused a major problem espically for Black America (my opinion). I am waiting for the 1930 Census to be released. These records will allow me to identify more living relatives.

<font color=navy>Mighty Dog,

When you say 'archives' what archives are you talking about? Were they available to you online or did you have to write a letter or visit the site in person? Whatever it was it sounds like just the ticket.

BgJag,

Thanks. Please keep in touch with any info you think might help.

-ep

EPMD, I spent four days going through my family history in the Alabama State Archives. The information could not be obtained on line, but you can make a personal visit. The information is also contained in the Washington D.C. Archives. I have not made a visit to seek any information in D.C. The information that is most critical is the 1890 Census. Just think what was going on in America when these files were lost in the big fire.

Also a lot of data was lost in Alabama because of courthouses being lost to fires.

Back