Losing muscle after age 30 is a natural occurrence?

Panther88

Banned
I was watching a taping of Oz last week and this sort of hit me because I was unaware of the natural occurrence. Especially now that I'm getting older, I'm really beginning to see and feel the physical decline. It's taking more effort to physically maintain and I've been so consumed w/ burning fat/losing weight until I forgot about the actual building block(s) that makes the whole thing go (muscle).

Dr OZ said:
<b><u>Once we reach age 30, we naturally lose 1% of our lean muscle every year</u></b>. Metabolism-boosting lean muscle is crucial when it comes to burning fat. Reintroducing protein to your body via the day-one smoothies will help rebuild the lean muscle you need to be a fat-burning machine. (for their 7 day diet plan)

I tried to cut out as much protein from the diet as possible over the last 2-3 yrs to lose weight, which worked for the most part. But now, I'm re-introducing a little bit more protein in hopes of building more lean muscle that should aid in the fat burn process, along w/ my exercise regiment. Thoughts?

Men lose muscle in part due to a decline in testosterone, which occurs naturally after the age of 21. More strength training will help increase testosterone and aid in maintaining muscle.

Men lose muscle in part due to a decline in testosterone, which occurs naturally after the age of 21. More strength training will help increase testosterone and aid in maintaining muscle.

I am fighting genetics until I die.

True. I think Oz was speaking in general for both men and women. That testosterone level is a mug and I suggest any male over 40 get their levels checked.

I got mine checked for the first time ~3 years ago immediately after the vasectomy deal. Urologist couldn't understand why I didn't have a sexual appetitie after the procedure. My levels were fine. I kept telling him that mine was mental but he didn't believe me and thought it was physical. :smh:

True. I think Oz was speaking in general for both men and women. That testosterone level is a mug and I suggest any male over 40 get their levels checked.

I got mine checked for the first time ~3 years ago immediately after the vasectomy deal. Urologist couldn't understand why I didn't have a sexual appetitie after the procedure. My levels were fine. I kept telling him that mine was mental but he didn't believe me and thought it was physical. :smh:

I haven't had mine checked, but the personal trainer I work with at Gold's Gym told me that I more than likely need to boost my testerone if I wanted to bulid more muscle. Doing a lot of leg work will help in that regard. Otherwise, you could take supplements. But, you'd probably need to consult a doctor first. More chicken. A little pasta, fish, nuts and the like are good when it comes to proteins.

I haven't had mine checked, but the personal trainer I work with at Gold's Gym told me that I more than likely need to boost my testerone if I wanted to bulid more muscle. Doing a lot of leg work will help in that regard. Otherwise, you could take supplements. But, you'd probably need to consult a doctor first. More chicken. A little pasta, fish, nuts and the like are good when it comes to proteins.

You're on the right regiment. I just started doing the amino supplement a few days ago to augment my protein intake. This is the first time since I was in my early 20s. :( I tried to get away from the supplement thing(s) but now it's kinda' sorta' required in order for me to maintain.

I was watching a taping of Oz last week and this sort of hit me because I was unaware of the natural occurrence. Especially now that I'm getting older, I'm really beginning to see and feel the physical decline. It's taking more effort to physically maintain and I've been so consumed w/ burning fat/losing weight until I forgot about the actual building block(s) that makes the whole thing go (muscle).

I tried to cut out as much protein from the diet as possible over the last 2-3 yrs to lose weight, which worked for the most part. But now, I'm re-introducing a little bit more protein in hopes of building more lean muscle that should aid in the fat burn process, along w/ my exercise regiment. Thoughts?

I turned back time..lol, hitting the weights hard, running, cycling , got my muscles back:happydance:

I turned back time..lol, hitting the weights hard, running, cycling , got my muscles back:happydance:

That's sweet kbSU89. I think for those of us who care for our bods @ our eldering ages, that's required. At least some type of physical regiment, I would think.

The double-gotcha' for men not only losing muscle mass as we get older but also losing testosterone as well. That's one of those checks males who do the urology deal every year (>45) have to give blood and check for. :(

That's sweet kbSU89. I think for those of us who care for our bods @ our eldering ages, that's required. At least some type of physical regiment, I would think.

The double-gotcha' for men not only losing muscle mass as we get older but also losing testosterone as well. That's one of those checks males who do the urology deal every year (>45) have to give blood and check for. :(

Lost about 11lbs, toned up

Back