Looks like Florida State being left out of the playoff has them about to leave the ACC

They been wanting to leave the ACC anyway. This just gives them another reason to do so

I think they are gonna get a hard lesson in that the grass ain't always greener on the other side

A big dog but not a Michigan or USC type big dog

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Michigan maybe but USC hasn't shown shit as of lately. And they probably would've beaten Michigan if they still had their QB too so, there's that. Ain't about that anyways, it's about money and the profile. Their donations skyrocketed after they got left out of the playoff.

It has nothing to with profile but with the bottom line and how the TV contracts have affeted it. FSU hasn't been happy about the TV contract situation and made it known earlier this year. The ACC aint getting what the SEC and Big 10 are getting. They want to be in the SEC but UF wont allow that to happen. Their only releastic move is going to the Big10. Moving to the Big 12 would be latterl at best but considered a downgrade by most.

According to reporting from CBS Sports' Dennis Dodd, Florida State presented the discrepancies of television contracts between the ACC and other large conferences such as the Big Ten and SEC to its board of trustees last month.

While the ACC is stuck in its media rights deal with ESPN until 2036, the Big Ten and SEC will have new TV contracts beginning in 2023 and 2024, where each school in the respective conferences will earn $67 and $51 million per year. According to the conference's 2019 tax returns, each ACC school is only making $23.3 million, which has left the ACC searching for potential solutions to close the wide gap.

Also, given that the ACC contract runs through 2036 and the Big Ten contract runs through 2030, the Big Ten will get the chance to cash out big once again while the ACC schools are still fighting to find a way to increase their revenue. With each Big Ten school possibly making upwards of $67 million per year, that number could potentially increase to around $100 million per school per year, which would further expand the gap in TV revenue between conferences.

They been wanting to leave the ACC anyway. This just gives them another reason to do so

I think they are gonna get a hard lesson in that the grass ain't always greener on the other side

A big dog but not a Michigan or USC type big dog
You are right about that, as one of the reasons why FSU joined the ACC to begin with was because they thought it would be easier path to championships.

Michigan maybe but USC hasn't shown shit as of lately. And they probably would've beaten Michigan if they still had their QB too so, there's that. Ain't about that anyways, it's about money and the profile. Their donations skyrocketed after they got left out of the playoff.
It is going to be funny seeing USC and the other former PAC schools having to play other BIG 10 schools in the winter outside.

It has nothing to with profile but with the bottom line and how the TV contracts have affeted it. FSU hasn't been happy about the TV contract situation and made it known earlier this year. The ACC aint getting what the SEC and Big 10 are getting. They want to be in the SEC but UF wont allow that to happen. Their only releastic move is going to the Big10. Moving to the Big 12 would be latterl at best but considered a downgrade by most.
Wait did not FSU voted yes on the TV deal to begin with those many years ago To me it seems like they are mad that agreed to such a TV deal once the other conferance bypass them with better deals. I heard that there maybe issues with them joing the Big 10 because they are not certain level academdically.

You are right about that, as one of the reasons why FSU joined the ACC to begin with was because they thought it would be easier path to championships.

And they would be better off staying if championships are their goal because it's not happening in the SEC

And the Big Ten doesn't want them due to their academic profile (but would take UNC and UVA)

The ACC would be better off trying to poach UCF and WV from the Big 12 but the Big 12 has a better TV deal (the ACCs deal is up in 2026)

Episode 14 Nbc GIF by One Chicago

And they would be better off staying if championships are their goal because it's not happening in the SEC

And the Big Ten doesn't want them due to their academic profile (but would take UNC and UVA)

The ACC would be better off trying to poach UCF and WV from the Big 12 but the Big 12 has a better TV deal (the ACCs deal is up in 2026)
I don't see why FSU couldn't win the SEC. They've gotten their recruiting straightened out so they'll be as talented as any team they line up against. And if they go to the SEC that'll only help their recruiting improve. It'll basically come down to the coaching.

And the ACC is exactly why they're sitting at home. These folks have people in position making mega money to advise them on situations like this lol. I'm gonna imagine they know a bit better what works than message boards.

The environment was different in 90 than it is today. The ACC made more money for their schools. FSU also wanted to piggy back off of the ACC's academic and basketball profile.

By the time a contingent of ACC school and league officials made their Sept. 2 tour of FSU's campus, the league had already made substantial gains on the SEC's initial foothold. Finances, football and basketball prowess aside, the ACC's overall image -- specifically its academic reputation -- had left a strong impression.

"More people here wanted the ACC; that's what really changed me," Sliger said. "The faculty really wanted the ACC. There were very few [faculty members] that had gone to the SEC, but many of them had gone to North Carolina and Virginia, places like that."

The oft-mentioned Bobby Bowden quote about the ACC being an easier path to a national championship was true. Nevertheless, football coaches don’t make conference realignment decisions; university presidents & athletic directors do. Thanks to a far different environment for TV rights, the ACC generated more revenue per school than either the SEC or Big Ten as recently as 2001 and signed a massive TV deal with ESPN shortly after the first Big East raid in 2004. Besides monetary factors, the ACC offered Florida State a chance to help build an identity other than being a party school with a football team. The ACC’s basketball prestige was second to none and their commitment to non-revenue sports was unequaled outside of California. On the academic side of things, the ACC had the best collection of schools in the South and promised FSU a university partnership that would help boost FSU’s academic prestige.

While conference affiliation would impact FSU's entire athletic program, suggesting that football was anything less than a major factor in expansion talk would be naive. So while Bowden was not directly involved in the decision, his support was critical in the process.

Not surprisingly, the Birmingham born-and-raised Seminoles coach -- who spent one year as a quarterback at Alabama -- said the SEC was "emotionally" his first choice. Even so, he carefully weighed all options.

"I was probably involved just about as much as anybody in that I agreed to [the ACC]," Bowden said. "I think if I would have wanted to fight for the SEC it might have caused some concerns for everybody, but I didn't feel that way.

"When you started looking at it from a financial perspective and what's best for us, I felt pretty sure what we should do is go ahead and join the ACC. ... Bob [Goin] had it laid out pretty good. I'll be honest with you, it was a no-brainer."

Haggard, like many on the advisory committee, valued Bowden's view on the choice of conference.

"Bobby was totally SEC when it started," Haggard said. "As Bobby's thinking changed, our thinking changed. It ended up unanimous ACC."

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
I don't see why FSU couldn't win the SEC.
Because the SEC is a whole lot deeper now with the addition of OU and Texas ... IN ADDITION to the strong programs that already exist. I understand the aspect of leaving conferences for money or to improve its brand/hierarchy, but joining these already loaded leagues will make it harder to compete for championships.

It'll make it harder while also giving you more money..which allows you to expand your budget, recruiting included. Look at the top 10 recruiting rankings and see who dominates. BIG and SEC.

And the ACC is exactly why they're sitting at home. These folks have people in position making mega money to advise them on situations like this lol. I'm gonna imagine they know a bit better what works than message boards.

But the playoffs are about to expand. Also, the ACC is not why they are sitting at home. We may not all agree but the committee explained why. They dont think they would run the season again with a 3rd string QB.

FSU should be embarrassed..I don’t wanna hear anything about dudes sitting out.

1- UGA plays for their teammates and program, while FSU is all about “me”

2- if you’re this blue blood like you say you are, how do you not have players that can at least put up a fight? Are your starters the only good players? Good luck in the SEC or BIG 12 if that’s how your team is set up.

Bunch of f’n clowns!

Because the SEC is a whole lot deeper now with the addition of OU and Texas ... IN ADDITION to the strong programs that already exist. I understand the aspect of leaving conferences for money or to improve its brand/hierarchy, but joining these already loaded leagues will make it harder to compete for championships.

Depth

As you stated, it's about league depth.

Elite - Alabama, Georgia
Really good - Ole Miss, Missouri
Getting there/Solid - Kentucky, Texas A&M, Florida, South Carolina, Arkansas

(Texas and OU could be in that Really good boat)

The really good teams beat Ohio State and Penn State so you know they don't stand a chance against Bama and UGA

The SEC is just that deep

I put Florida State in the same boat as schools like Clemson and Ole Miss

They really overvalue themselves. Bowden made them a national brand but didn't really do anything since until this year

Florida will do their best to keep them out of the SEC and the Big 10 would only take them if they value getting into that FL market highly because academically they don't cut it (which is why UNC and UVA to the Big 10 are most likely)

It would take the right coach to build them into a school that could build them into a school that can build the depth that can compete with SEC schools. Georgia had over 10 players not play as well and still beat them by 60. It's about DEPTH

Back