Looks like Doug is trying to get Bruce Eugene's mid right for the Bayou Classic

Coaching is a never ending process and the need to point out deficiencies in mechanics and making the right reads is always important. However, I question the merit of mentioning these things in the media. In addition to himself (Doug), graduate assistant Pete Burks is also a qb. Breakdown the field of the throws that lead to interceptions and let Bruce see the flaws that he has in his delivery.

If he stays in Bruce's head too much, that will affect his play! I understand the desire on Doug's part to keep getting Bruce to work on improving. But the methodology is questionable. But I think at the end of the day, Bruce understands it's for his benefit. I just don't think it needs to be so public!

Interesting take, Mike. I guess it all depends on the player -- some respond well to being called out, some regress.

I can't say that Eugene, for what it's worth, has ever bounced back quickly from a noggin smack. But, then again, time is running out on his opportunity. If he's going to get serious, it needs to be in his junior year and the summer thereafter.

Next season is, quite frankly, too late to begin internalizing the fact that college doesn't last forever!
:)

He has FAR too much talent, in my opinion, for there not to be some questions about his easy-going diffidence. What does he want to be when he grows up?

Good points! Perhaps Bruce laid back approach just flies in the face of the hard work ethic that Doug Williams had as a player. Remember, Doug played at Grambling during the time that there was a lot of talent. Some of that talent didn't make it to the league because of deficient work ethic or simply a lack of drive/initiative. Doug understands the work involved...he was himself a hard worker in terms of physical and mental preparation.

I remember witnessing Doug "rat" his teammate out to Coach Rob about who had missed prior practice or was late arriving. Then when Rob had those guys do punish work, Doug joined in. He got cursed, talked about, and bad-mouthed (not to his face cuz dude would put up his dukes) but he was respected!

A talent like Bruce comes along only so often. I'm sure Doug is trying to make sure this talent doesn't go wasted! That arm strength and ability to make all the throws is like none I've seen in the SWAC since Doug and McNair! In my opinion, he throws a better pass than McNair did.

Interesting. Once question. When the article mentioned Spears leaving the coaches box, were they just using that as a figure of speech or does Spears really leave the press box during the game to come to the sidelines to lift Eugene's spirits? Isn't this sometimes harder to do in certain games (like in domes or very large stadiums)? How often has he had to do this?

This was a very good article. I have watched Bruce on the sidelines and the guy seems laid back. That is what I like about him. I enjoy watching him play. Critics talk about his size, but the boy is quick and has good football speed. It is hard to prepare for him. I hope he goes far after GSU.

Originally posted by jag4life
Why does this name sound so familiar? Where is he from?

Coach LaJuan "Pete" Burks is from Houma, La. I think he played for Terrebonne High and signed with University of Arkansas. He later transferred to GSU when Doug got the job but was beaten out by Lionel Hayes.

I've watched him work the sidelines and think he will be a good coach someday. If Spears ever left, he might someday move up to OC (he knows the system).

Plus he's frat (Omega Psi Phi)!

I knew I heard that name before. He was really good in high school and he should have stayed in-state from the beginning. From what I remember he is pretty smart, too.

Originally posted by MikeBigg
Coach LaJuan "Pete" Burks is from Houma, La. I think he played for Terrebonne High and signed with University of Arkansas. He later transferred to GSU when Doug got the job but was beaten out by Lionel Hayes.

I've watched him work the sidelines and think he will be a good coach someday. If Spears ever left, he might someday move up to OC (he knows the system).

Plus he's frat (Omega Psi Phi)!

:nod: <font color=purple>GAMMA GAMMA</font color=purple>.
:kiss: :D
He will definitely be a good coach someday. Right now, his job is BRUCE EUGENE. He does nothing else but coach Bruce. He's the middle man between Bruce and Spears during the game.
I watch the coaches coaching all game. That's how you see who's running things, the good and the bad.

Back