Let set up a Black History Television Guide

pv_symbiotic

Ghetto Bourgeois
Let's set up a Black History Television Guide

Last night before I went to bed I saw part a Mantan Morlan movie last night on TCM. If I had known that the movie was coming on I would have watched the movie. I am getting tired of missing the black classics every year because I didn?t see the advertisement at 2:30am on Monday or something crazy like that.

I have notice that American Movie Classic and Turner Classic Movies air old black movies during the month of February . I would love know in advance when the movies are coming on so that I can set my VCR. If you know of a black history month airing or you see something in a tv guide, would you post so that others can now and watch airing.

I would love to record a Paul Roberson marathon.

Sounds good.....will do

Mr. Bojangles was on last night on Showtime, but that had it on at 5:00.....WTF! Everyone's at work or just getting off at that time. It went off at 7:00. I got home around 6:15, so I didn't get to see much.

Gregory Hines played him...it looked pretty interesting. I'll post movies and times as I find out about them.

Peace

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
I'll 2nd that......

Last night, on KERA in Dallas, there was a program on about Black Pioneers in Film and Television. The show is two-hours, and I was glued to the TV. There were interviews with all the known black stars (Sidney Poitier, Bill Cosby, Whoopi Goldberg, etc), and they discussed the evolution of blacks in Hollywood. It was a very interesting documentary. I don't have the listings here at work, but I'll find out. This definitely a must-see for 'us' during the month of February.

5:00.....WTF! Everyone's at work or just getting off at that time

Airing at unique hours (5:00pm) is what I am talking about. We know what is going on. Now let work together and post times of future airing of black movies, documentaries, etc. I will be on-call this week so my weekend will be idle. I will look at A&E, TMC and AMC schedules for the month. If I find something, I will post.

Here is a list of what I have found so far. I search on the History Channel next.

AMC
EXTRAORDINARY LIFE OF HATTIE MCDANIEL

Color, 60 min NEXT SHOWINGS:
4:00 AM Monday, April 01

9:30 AM / CST
SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 23 2002

BACKSTORY: CARMEN JONES

Color, 30 min

SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 23, 2002
7:00 AM / CST
SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 24 2002

4:30 PM / CST
TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 26 2002

TCM

13 Movies on Wenesday

WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 13
8:00 p.m. (ET)/5:00 p.m. (PT) HI-DE-HO (1947)
Principal Cast: Cab Calloway (Himself), Ida James (Nettie), Jeni Le Gon (Minnie), William Campbell (Sparks), Virginia Girvin (Sparks' Fat Friend), George Wiltshire (Boss Mason).
BW-72m. Letterboxed. Closed captioning.

9:30 p.m. (ET)/6:30 p.m. (PT) ZOU ZOU (1934)
Principle Cast: Josephine Baker (Zouzou), Jean Gabin (Jean), Pierre Larquey (Papa Mele), Yvette Lebon (Claire), Illa Meery (Miss Barbara), Palau (Saint-Levy).
BW-93m.

11:15 p.m. (ET)/8:15 p.m. (PT) PRINCESS TAM TAM (1935)
Principle Cast: Josephine Baker (Alwina/Princess Tam Tam), Albert Prejean (Max de Mirecourt), Robert Arnoux (Coton), Germaine Aussey (Lucie de Mirecourt), Georges Peclet (Dar), Jean Galland (Maharajah of Datane)
BW-78m.

12:45 p.m. (ET)/9:15 p.m. (PT) TWO-GUN MAN FROM HARLEM (1938)
Principle Cast: Herb Jeffries (Bob Blake/The Deacon), Marguerite Whitten (Sally Thompson), Clarence Brooks (John Barker), Mantan Moreland (Bill Blake), Matthew "Stymie" Beard (Jimmy Thompson), Spencer Williams (Butch Carter)
BW-65m.

A&E

Monday 02/11
Classroom
Nelson Mandela: Journey to Freedom

Tuesday 02/12
Classroom
Rosa Parks: Mother of a Movement

Wednesday 02/13
Classroom
Civil Rights Heroes

Thursday 02/14
Classroom
Cinque: Freedom Fighter

Friday 02/15
Classroom
Martin Luther King, Jr.: The Man and the Dream

February 25
Sweetness: The Walter Payton Story

February 26
George Foreman: Blow by Blow

The History Channel listings for Black History Month.

February 10
The African Burial Ground: A History
6am ET/PT
The history of Africans and African-Americans in New York City, from the arrival of a trader named Jan Rodriguez in 1613 until July 4, 1827-New York City's Emancipation Day.

Port Chicago Mutiny
11pm ET/PT
The story of the biggest homefront disaster during World War II and why fifty black sailors were court-martialed in its aftermath when they refused to return to work that was considered too dangerous for white sailors.

February 13
WORLD PREMIERE!
SPECIAL PRESENTATION: African-American Landmarks
10pm ET/PT
James Horton of THC's HistoryCenter leads viewers on a tour of famous as well as little-known African-American landmarks. From the Underground Railroad to the Civil Rights Movement, these landmarks help bring to life the story of the African-American experience from the 18th century to the present.

February 16
Port Chicago Mutiny
9am ET/PT
The story of the biggest homefront disaster during World War II and why fifty black sailors were court-martialed in its aftermath when they refused to return to work that was considered too dangerous for white sailors.

Shaka Zulu Marathon
10am-8pm ET/PT
The acclaimed miniseries about the illegitimate son of a disowned African princess who unites the tribes of Zululand into a proud and mighty nation with an invincible army that becomes the most efficient and feared fighting machine Africa has ever known.

February 17
The African Burial Ground: Politics and People
6am ET/PT
Ordinary citizens clash with U.S. government agencies over the handling of the burial ground upon its discovery.

February 19
John Brown's War
7am ET/PT
A profile of the controversial crusader whose 1859 anti-slavery raid on the federal arsenal at Harper's Ferry, Virginia foreshadowed the violence of the Civil War.

February 24
The African Burial Ground: An Open Window
6am ET/PT
The long-range impact of New York City's African Burial Ground on art, literature, history, science and education in the United States.

SPECIAL PRESENTATION: Black Aviators: Flying Free
11am ET/PT
The stories of African-American men and women who defied the odds to fly high as 20th century aviation pioneers.

February 27
MLK: March on Washington and End of the Dream
8am/2pm ET/PT
Mike Wallace reviews this crucial time in the history of civil rights, with classic CBS News footage from the March on Washington and from Martin Luther King's landmark speeches. This program chronicles the events that made the march necessary, and looks at the legacy of the march on the civil rights movement.

February 28
WORLD PREMIERE!
Mississippi State Secrets
8pm ET/PT
In 1956, the Mississippi Sovereignty Commission was formed to spy on people thought to be associated with the Civil Rights movement. The organization amassed a list of over 80,000 names. Funded by the state through 1972, it sometimes operated like George Orwell's "1984," and other times, the Keystone Cops. Recently-opened files offer a startling look at some of the violent and bizarre activity that this organization conducted to try to foil the civil rights movement, including details about the murders of civil rights workers Cheney, Schwerin, and Goodman.

Feb 13, 02
9:00pm Huey P. Newton Story
PBS ? Dallas Channel 13

Originally born in a small town in Louisiana and later moving with his family to Oakland, California as an infant, Huey P. Newton became the co-founder and leader of the Black Panther movement for over 2 decades.

Director Spike Lee and Roger Guenveur Smith collaborate for the 7th time to bring Newton's thoughts, philosophies, history and flavour to life in A Huey P. Newton Story.

Produced by Luna Ray Films, A Huey P. Newton Story is the film adaptation of Smith's Obie Award-winning, off-Broadway solo performance of the same name. It was filmed before a live audience and Spike Lee directs the film with his signature mix of film and archival footage to capture the thoughts of this revolutionary political leader.

I found some of the Black History Month information after I left Rock Fish for that FALSE ALERT. This week of on-call is something else.

Back