Lauryn Hill returns to the limelight

Olde Hornet

Interesting interview

You can read the entire interveiw at:
http://www.usatoday.com/life/people/2005-07-12-lauryn-hill_x.htm

Lauryn Hill returns to the limelight
NEW YORK (AP) ? Lauryn Hill's long freeze-out of the public is beginning to thaw.
Hill, whose 1998 solo debut The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill sold millions and won her a record five Grammys, has been largely MIA since.
By Olivier Maire, Keystone via AP

Hill, whose 1998 solo debut The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill sold millions and won her a record five Grammys, has been largely MIA since. But in the new issue of Trace magazine ? her first interview in years ? Hill discusses her self-imposed exile, the Fugees and her future.

"If I make music now, it will only be to provide information to my own children," says Hill, who has four children, in the issue on newsstands July 14. "If other people benefit from it, then so be it."

Hill has continued making music ? and her long-awaited follow-up to Miseducation is upcoming. Along with Wyclef Jean and Pras, Hill and her old Fugees mates have been reuniting recently for sporadic concerts, including a surprise performance at the BET Awards.

However, in the interview, Hill has few kind words about the group.

"The Fugees was a conspiracy to control, to manipulate and to encourage dependence," she says. "I took a lot of abuse that many people would not have taken in these circumstances."

The 30-year-old singer, who dated Jean when the group was together, says she saw a "spark" in him. Though she says she's now married to Rohan Marley, son of reggae legend Bob Marley and the father of her children, Hill emerged disillusioned with men.

"As a young woman, I saw the best in everyone, but I did not see the lust and insecurities of men," she says. "I discovered what a lie was, and how lies manifested themselves."

Hill's last recording was 2001's MTV Unplugged? a soul-searching breakdown of a performance where she confessed things such as, "I find it hard to say that everything is all right."

"In order to bare one's soul, one has to display their whole vulnerability, which most people will never do," Hill says. "These people who bare their souls end up being the source of ridicule."

Olde Hornet said:
The 30-year-old singer, who dated Jean when the group was together, says she saw a "spark" in him. Though she says she's now married to Rohan Marley, son of reggae legend Bob Marley and the father of her children, Hill emerged disillusioned with men.
She sounds scorned.

I still want to hear this song where she is dissing the "L" out of Rohan.

That sista seems "bitter".

Im glad she's back though.

Lauryn Hill is yesterday's news......she had so much potential.

HILL ENRAGES LONDON FANS AT DISASTROUS COMEBACK GIG

Former FUGEES star LAURYN HILL angered crowds at her long-awaited UK performance last night (12JUL05) by keeping them waiting for two hours.

Hill, whose gig at London's Coliseum was her first appearance in Britain for seven years, feebly explained to the fuming fans she simply couldn't decide what to wear.

The show then went from bad to worse, as audience members struggled to hear the singer because of poor sound quality.

And the angry hordes, who had forked out a staggering $80 (GBP45) each to witness her shambolic performance, finally started storming out when she not only failed to sing perennial favourite KILLING ME SOFTLY but launched into a bizarre poetry recital.

One audience member explains, "People were getting disappointed, they were walking off.

"Absolute waste of money. They hustled us."

13/07/2005 05:25

http://www.contactmusic.com/new/xml...nrages london fans at disastrous comeback gig

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I ask again .......................What has she done since the "Misdirection" cd back in the late '90's worth mentioning. :lol: :lol:

Come on Lauryn, get it together.

Your FANS are what brought you to where you are at now.
Never have your fans wait 2 hours and them you sound a hot mess when you do. That's an automatic "Toliet Buster" in my books.

That's the same reason why I threw that Amerie - "Touched" CD out the window 2 months ago. Went to her concert with a date and that chick didnt hit the stage untill 12:45. She was supposed to be on the stage at 10:30. Then she sang 3 songs. 2 from her first album and "One Thing".

I was :angry: H :angry: O :angry: T :angry: I spent $50.00 on those tickets. After I got in the car I asked my date to hand me her CD. I proceded to throw that mug right on the corner of Delmar Ave and Kingshighway.

Storm96 said:
And the angry hordes, who had forked out a staggering $80 (GBP45) each to witness her shambolic performance, finally started storming out when she not only failed to sing perennial favourite KILLING ME SOFTLY but launched into a bizarre poetry recital.

One audience member explains, "People were getting disappointed, they were walking off.

:emlaugh:

Im a Lauryn Hill fan. If she makes another cd I will purchase it. Especially if its anything close to "The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill". I still listen to that sometimes when im ridin somewhere far out or traveling on the highway.

did I also mention Im a Fugees fan. they make I buy :)

Storm96 said:
Lauryn Hill is yesterday's news......she had so much potential.

HILL ENRAGES LONDON FANS AT DISASTROUS COMEBACK GIG

Former FUGEES star LAURYN HILL angered crowds at her long-awaited UK performance last night (12JUL05) by keeping them waiting for two hours.

Hill, whose gig at London's Coliseum was her first appearance in Britain for seven years, feebly explained to the fuming fans she simply couldn't decide what to wear.

The show then went from bad to worse, as audience members struggled to hear the singer because of poor sound quality.

13/07/2005 05:25

http://www.contactmusic.com/new/xml...nrages london fans at disastrous comeback gig

:smh: Mess.

I don't think we will ever get good music from her. That girl is crazy :smh: I put her in the bag with Phil Spector, Brian Wilson etc...musical folks with so much potential but are crazy now. Its a thin between Genius and insanity...

Did ya'll here about her :shame: Vibe Music Fest episode she refuse to enter the buiding until backstage was cleared. Everybody was forced to address her as Ms. Hill.

bigtyme2 said:
Did ya'll here about her :shame: Vibe Music Fest episode she refuse to enter the buiding until backstage was cleared. Everybody was forced to address her as Ms. Hill.

I heard that on gossip to go with Flo on k104.

Hill Blames Togs for Tardiness

Lauryn Hill's well-known miseducation must have included skipping class the day punctuality was discussed. London's Daily Mail reports the Grammy winner kept 2,300 fans waiting for about two hours Tuesday night at the London Coliseum.

The reason for the long delay? Hill was having a clothing crisis.

"I have a problem with procrastination," explained the singer. "I have a great deal of difficultly deciding what to wear -- it's a woman thing."

Hill, who has lately been rockin' an unfortunate Tootie-from-"Facts-of-Life" coif, eventually settled on a long brown skirt and lace shirt, which a reviewer for the London Telegraph snipped made her look "like an extra from the movie '9 to 5.'"

The paper says the former Fugees frontwoman showed no contrition for her belated arrival, and addressed the crowd "rigidly and coolly, implying that she had done us a massive favor by turning up at all."

Lauryn performed just six songs -- along with a few spoken word selections that the Telegraph's critic likened to a lecture from an English teacher -- before the plug was pulled to meet an 11 p.m. curfew at the venue.

That didn't sit well with the crowd, who complained loudly enough that concert organizers offered full refunds.

Still, it's unlikely Hill will be affected by the fuss. The less-than-prolific chanteuse, who is at work on the much-anticipated follow-up to her 1998 monster debut "The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill," recently told Trace magazine (via the AP) that she has a very specific target audience in mind when she sings.

"If I make music now, it will only be to provide information to my own children," says Hill, who has four kids with Rohan Marley, son of Bob Marley. "If other people benefit from it, then so be it."

And don't expect her to regroup with the Fugees anytime soon. She rails to the mag that the band "was a conspiracy to control, to manipulate and to encourage dependence. I took a lot of abuse that many people would not have taken in

LadyLuck13 said:
I heard that on gossip to go with Flo on k104.

It was definitely true. I posted this a few weeks ago:

Um, ok, I saw Lauryn at the VIBE music fest in ATL a couple of weeks ago and she was garbage and apparently on something?they took an hour to set up her stage and she only did four songs (and some long azz poem) for maybe 25 minutes and the last song she didn?t even finish?.she just dropped the mic and walked off leaving her band looking crazy. She yelled at her band twice and really didn?t connect with the audience. She showed up extremely late to the Ga. Dome and she was late earlier that day for rehearsal, which meant that Faith didn?t get a chance to rehearse. Her people told the Ga. Dome folks that she wouldn?t respond to anything other than Ms. Hill and she wanted them to drive the car directly to the door of her dressing room because she wasn?t walking from the loading dock (wasn?t that far to walk). I?m saying all that to say, that she probably went a little loco and decided she wasn?t going back out on stage last night.

um yes, they opened up the loading dock doors and allowed the car to go down the wide hallway and parked it right in front of the door of the dressing room...to make matters worse...she arrived with no shoes on and therefore performed on stage w/out them. I have a friend who is one of the event coordinators at the Dome...so he was one of her 'handlers' for the evening. He was NOT happy to have to deal with her.

After witnessing her performance in person, I'm not surprised by any of these recent stories about her behavior.

Back