LaShaunda Jones returns to AAMU as head track and field coach

DAHILL

aamusports.com

NORMAL – LaShaunda Jones, Alabama A&M's first Southwestern Athletic Conference track champion, is returning to The Hill to head the Bulldogs' cross country and track and field programs, Alabama A&M Director of Athletics Bryan Hicks announced.

Jones has been an assistant coach with the Alabama State men's and women's track and field teams for the past 11 seasons, including the 2015 SWAC champion women's team.

After graduating from A&M in 2001, she was a graduate assistant for the Bulldogs from 2001-02 and an assistant coach from 2002-05. Jones also has master's degrees from A&M and Alabama State.

"Coach Jones brings a wealth of experience as a coach and student-athlete," Hicks said. "She succeeded in the classroom and on the track at Alabama A&M and as a coach.

"Her enthusiasm and knowledge of track and field will only enhance our ability to return the track program to the heights it had once achieved."

Jones, an honor student, was the team captain in 2001 and won the SWAC 60-meter indoor championship. She was also named Huntsville Athlete of the Year.

aamusports.com

NORMAL – LaShaunda Jones, Alabama A&M's first Southwestern Athletic Conference track champion, is returning to The Hill to head the Bulldogs' cross country and track and field programs, Alabama A&M Director of Athletics Bryan Hicks announced.

Jones has been an assistant coach with the Alabama State men's and women's track and field teams for the past 11 seasons, including the 2015 SWAC champion women's team.

After graduating from A&M in 2001, she was a graduate assistant for the Bulldogs from 2001-02 and an assistant coach from 2002-05. Jones also has master's degrees from A&M and Alabama State.

"Coach Jones brings a wealth of experience as a coach and student-athlete," Hicks said. "She succeeded in the classroom and on the track at Alabama A&M and as a coach.

"Her enthusiasm and knowledge of track and field will only enhance our ability to return the track program to the heights it had once achieved."

Jones, an honor student, was the team captain in 2001 and won the SWAC 60-meter indoor championship. She was also named Huntsville Athlete of the Year.

I always felt that Bama State was winning because they had her as a coach. We will see if she can return the AAMU program back to the top like it was when Henderson was coach.

Reactions: J C

Ummm yeah good luck with this...if she has the same budget and the same number of staff members as Kim don't look for anything different to happen...Just Dumb!
DCG, I respect your opinion and agree with a better budget and more staff but I still would not say it was dumb to get rid of Coach Kim. Some of the times that athletes were running over the years would not have won at a local high school track meet. There are numbers of track athletes who have run better times in local high schools and were never awarded any kind of grant-in-aid. We were finishing not in the middle or next to last but pretty much last every year (indoor, outdoor, cc) with again unacceptable times. I think it was a blessing for her that she was kept as long as she was.

Last edited:
Hell after losing for twenty years she should have been glad to move on. She got paid for losing. How can you be mad when your time is up?

LEXINGTON, Ky. -- Baby steps. One foot in front of the other.

That's how the Alabama A&M track and field team was growing under Head Coach LaShaunda Jones in her first year.

Jones and four of her Bulldogs are in Lexington, Ky., for the NCAA Division I Eastern Regional Track & Field Championships. This is the most Bulldogs to take part since Alabama A&M moved to NCAA Division I.

http://aamusports.com/news/2017/5/2...volving-from-team-to-program.aspx?path=mtrack

SHE NEEDS MORE SCHOLARSHIPS

Jones is finally fired and it's long overdue.
  1. She pocketed money
  2. tried to cover up a domestic violence on the team
  3. started and spreaded rumors about her own staff and athletes
  4. would lie to some athletes about how much scholarship money she had to give just so she can give it to her favorites
  5. forged one of the assistant coaches signature during an event he didn't attend and pocketed his per diem
  6. Kept the gifts that SWAC gives to all athletes during championship because didn't like how they performed
  7. Constantly overtrained athletes to the point that they'll get injured and took their scholarship if they didn't recover when she wanted them to
  8. Would intentionally renew scholarships once the school year started back so it would be difficult for someone to transfer. Nobody knew what their scholarship looked like until they moved back in. The deadline for that is supposed to be July 1st
  9. Stashed her gun on a charter bus even though the company didn't allow firearms on their bus.
Them ASU athletes were glad she left because they weren't overtraining anymore and they got better. They did not want her back. Some only missed her cause she always gave snacks.

She rarely recruited and when she did she only looked at Florida. Some of the Florida sprinters hit her up wanting a scholarship and she just gave them one whether they were good or not.

She could not coach. The headlines are misleading because before last year she was the one who would write the articles. That's why majority of them focus on her group (sprinters) even if athletes in other events did good. The 2017-2018 year there was a thrower who broke the school records in hammer throw, weight throw, and discus throw, AND won all 3 of those events and won outdoor field MVP. He was also coached by a 1st year grad student. To my knowledge he's the first male thrower to win since AAMU joined SWAC, but because she wrote the article she mentioned none of that and just glossed over what he did to write about the sprinters.

She was only over sprinters. The other athletes were coached by an assistant or volunteer or they coached themselves like the pole vaulter. Headlines mislead but stats don't. Look at how hurdles and field events performed and got better since she got there versus the sprinters.

If the team did any good it was because of the assistants and volunteer coaches. That year 4 athletes qualified for regionals, three of them were coached by the assistant. The sprinter that made it don't count for real because he went to regionals when Seals was still the coach.

The past 3 seasons (17-18, 18-19, 19-20) she's went through 6 coaches ( 3 assistants and 4 volunteers). They either quit or she made up reasons to let them go. Nobody wants to work with her and it's getting to the point where some HS coaches don't want to send their athletes to her, least the Florida coaches anyway. If someone knows about her and still wants to work with then they act just like she does which helps nobody.

The fact that Hicks allowed all of that to happen for this long is beyond me. Not sure what made them decide to investigate her now all of a sudden but it's about time.

Jones is finally fired and it's long overdue.
  1. She pocketed money
  2. tried to cover up a domestic violence on the team
  3. started and spreaded rumors about her own staff and athletes
  4. would lie to some athletes about how much scholarship money she had to give just so she can give it to her favorites
  5. forged one of the assistant coaches signature during an event he didn't attend and pocketed his per diem
  6. Kept the gifts that SWAC gives to all athletes during championship because didn't like how they performed
  7. Constantly overtrained athletes to the point that they'll get injured and took their scholarship if they didn't recover when she wanted them to
  8. Would intentionally renew scholarships once the school year started back so it would be difficult for someone to transfer. Nobody knew what their scholarship looked like until they moved back in. The deadline for that is supposed to be July 1st
  9. Stashed her gun on a charter bus even though the company didn't allow firearms on their bus.
Them ASU athletes were glad she left because they weren't overtraining anymore and they got better. They did not want her back. Some only missed her cause she always gave snacks.

She rarely recruited and when she did she only looked at Florida. Some of the Florida sprinters hit her up wanting a scholarship and she just gave them one whether they were good or not.

She could not coach. The headlines are misleading because before last year she was the one who would write the articles. That's why majority of them focus on her group (sprinters) even if athletes in other events did good. The 2017-2018 year there was a thrower who broke the school records in hammer throw, weight throw, and discus throw, AND won all 3 of those events and won outdoor field MVP. He was also coached by a 1st year grad student. To my knowledge he's the first male thrower to win since AAMU joined SWAC, but because she wrote the article she mentioned none of that and just glossed over what he did to write about the sprinters.

She was only over sprinters. The other athletes were coached by an assistant or volunteer or they coached themselves like the pole vaulter. Headlines mislead but stats don't. Look at how hurdles and field events performed and got better since she got there versus the sprinters.

If the team did any good it was because of the assistants and volunteer coaches. That year 4 athletes qualified for regionals, three of them were coached by the assistant. The sprinter that made it don't count for real because he went to regionals when Seals was still the coach.

The past 3 seasons (17-18, 18-19, 19-20) she's went through 6 coaches ( 3 assistants and 4 volunteers). They either quit or she made up reasons to let them go. Nobody wants to work with her and it's getting to the point where some HS coaches don't want to send their athletes to her, least the Florida coaches anyway. If someone knows about her and still wants to work with then they act just like she does which helps nobody.

The fact that Hicks allowed all of that to happen for this long is beyond me. Not sure what made them decide to investigate her now all of a sudden but it's about time.
These are some serious alegations

They're serious but there's proof of all of it. This my last season and when she "fired" my coach he showed us the scholarship stuff, the forgery, we all had a feeling that she didn't handle the abuse situation properly but figure out how. I know I've signed papers saying I'll get x amount but then once we get there she'll give less than what we signed for and we never knew why she did that

I was looking her up and this post showed up. Like I got cut? You're showing how little you know dude. She couldn't afford to "cut" nobody. Just cause you know her as a person don't mean you know her as a coach. You sound like every other alumni who act like they school does no wrong and even if you're shown proof you'd still defend it.

Men's team is still post-season banned and each year a coach left her staff. You don't want to believe and you also choosing to ignore the signs?

who are you and where have you been the last 4 years?
So you can tell Jones? I'm on the roster and that's all that needs to be said. I never heard of this forum till I did that search. I been helping my teammates try to find someone who would give a damn about dealing with Jones just for no one to care. Hicks didn't care when we told him, Hugine definitely didn't care when we tried to talk to him. That's where I been. So when I see people speak highly of her I have to say something because they're wrong. The way she did my former teammates and coach was wrong on every level.

I was looking her up and this post showed up. Like I got cut? You're showing how little you know dude. She couldn't afford to "cut" nobody. Just cause you know her as a person don't mean you know her as a coach. You sound like every other alumni who act like they school does no wrong and even if you're shown proof you'd still defend it.

Men's team is still post-season banned and each year a coach left her staff. You don't want to believe and you also choosing to ignore the signs?
IBelieve

This ain’t the forum that’s going to bring you any type of justice if anything you said is true. You better off sending a mass email copying every board member, your president, AD, sga prez, alumni president, faculty representative, VP of student affairs, etc etc etc etc. Do it from a generic email account. Sent from a throw away device. Even then there might not be a thing that happens.

This ain’t the forum that’s going to bring you any type of justice if anything you said is true. You better off sending a mass email copying every board member, your president, AD, sga prez, alumni president, faculty representative, VP of student affairs, etc etc etc etc. Do it from a generic email account. Sent from a throw away device. Even then there might not be a thing that happens.
Man, hush your ass up!!

DCG, I respect your opinion and agree with a better budget and more staff but I still would not say it was dumb to get rid of Coach Kim. Some of the times that athletes were running over the years would not have won at a local high school track meet. There are numbers of track athletes who have run better times in local high schools and were never awarded any kind of grant-in-aid. We were finishing not in the middle or next to last but pretty much last every year (indoor, outdoor, cc) with again unacceptable times. I think it was a blessing for her that she was kept as long as she was.
Ummm yeah good luck with this...if she has the same budget and the same number of staff members as Kim don't look for anything different to happen...Just Dumb!
So Ummm Bulldog I guess this hire didn't workout as well as you had hoped!

So you can tell Jones? I'm on the roster and that's all that needs to be said. I never heard of this forum till I did that search. I been helping my teammates try to find someone who would give a damn about dealing with Jones just for no one to care. Hicks didn't care when we told him, Hugine definitely didn't care when we tried to talk to him. That's where I been. So when I see people speak highly of her I have to say something because they're wrong. The way she did my former teammates and coach was wrong on every level.
Based on what I learned, she had to go.

Back