Lanier's Ellis "Earns" Respect

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Originally posted by jstate83
Better question ................. Who's better.

Ellis or Al Jefferson of Prentiss Highschool.

It's like comparing Kobe & Shaq. If you're building a team from scratch, you'd have to go with Big Al... hands down. Big men who can dominate are a premium... especially on the HS level. Al is just bigger, stronger and better than his his peers. But as far as all around basketball skills, it doesn't get much better than Monta Ellis. I could watch him play every single day!

I taught Big Al everything he knows.

Anyway, Monta is cold as ice. He been dominating Jackson since 9th grade. But I hear he's a little old.

And went to Al's web site and saw those clips, this one kid actually tried to go up and stop him from dunking. It was hilarious to see that kid flying out of bounds.

Big Al

Originally posted by Robber
But I hear he's a little old.

Yeah, me too. But from what I understand, he's only 1 grade behind, so he will get to play next year. I hope that's the case.

Originally posted by Prodigy
But from what I understand, he's only 1 grade behind, so he will get to play next year. I hope that's the case.

He was born Oct 26, 1985. This means he'll be eligible to play next season... if my calculations are correct.

December 18, 2003
Tar Heels hold an early lead for Monta Ellis
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jason Parten
CarolinaBlue.com

MONTAELLISACTION1200.JPG

Monta Ellis has always dreamed of being a North Carolina Tar Heel, he always imagined putting on a light blue uniform and imagining that he was playing on the same team with Antawn Jamison, or throwing an alley-oop to Vince Carter. Now Ellis realizes that his dream could be a reality. Ellis is a 6-3, 185 pound combo guard from Jackson (MS) Lanier High School and one of the top fifteen players in the class of 2005.

Ellis is a scoring machine as evidenced by his averages of close to 33 points per game, 7 rebounds, and 4 assists this season, after averaging close to 28 points as a sophomore last season. Ellis and his Lanier teammates recently played in the Marshall County Hoopfest in Kentucky and in the championship game Ellis dropped 41 points on consensus #1 Oak Hill Academy in a losing effort, but that solidified Ellis as one of the top players in his class. "That game against Oak Hill was good for me, but unfortunately we lost the game but for me it just goes to show that I can play with most anyone out there," Ellis said.

It is no coincidence that one of Ellis's favorite players is former Tar Heel Shammond Williams because Williams could play the point guard and shooting guard positions quite well, as well as put points up in bunches. "I really watched Shammond a lot when he was at UNC and my game is like his because I can play either guard position, but I also like to score as well, but I think that I will be more of a point guard in college." Ellis played the point guard position his first two seasons of high school, but this season he has slid over to the wing position to take advantage of his wonderful scoring abilities. "I f had to describe my game in one word it would "playmaker" because I like to not only create for myself but get my teammates involved as well," Ellis said.

As for potential colleges Ellis has narrowed his list of potential suitors down to three, UNC, Texas, and Alabama with one real favorite in the bunch. "I would have to say that UNC is my favorite, and they have always been but right now Texas is showing me the most love of the three." UNC Head Coach Roy Williams was in attendance last week for one of Ellis's games in the KMOX Shootout in St. Louis (MO) but Ellis did not have one of his best performances only scoring 20 points. "I did not know that Coach Williams was going to be at the game, so I was a little nervous when I heard that he was there, but I do not believe that he will base my game off one performance." Ellis admits that he hopes that UNC will continue to pursue him hard, because he says that it would be a dream to play for the Tar Heels.

Ellis: One of 2005's Best
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jerry Meyer
RivalsHoops.com

Many people feel that Monta Ellis might be the best guard in the class of 2005. Certainly Thomas Billups, his coach at Lanier High School in Jackson, Mississippi, considers the 6-foot-2, 160-pound Ellis the best guard, if not the best player, in the country.

?Well, Monta was ranked by one service as the best sophomore in the country last year, and I would agree with that,? said Coach Billups. ?He is the best player in the state of Mississippi, period. No doubt about it. I know Al Jefferson is tough, but he can?t do the things that Monta can do. He is a great rebounder, second on the team. He can play the one, the two, the three. We can put him on the blocks, and I have never seen a 6'7 or 6'8 player stop him.?

Ellis is hearing from numerous schools as well as receiving offers from numerous schools, but right now he his solely focused on winning a state championship.

?So many schools are after him,? said Coach Billups. ?North Carolina, Kentucky, Duke, Alabama, Mississippi State, and LSU are some of them. They have all offered him, but he is not concerned with college right now. We are just focusing on winning a state championship.?

Coming off a 51 point performance in his last outing, Ellis hopes to keep his hot hand when he faces Oak Hill Academy this Saturday in the Marshall County Hoopfest.

?I have no doubt about him,? said Coach Billups. ?He?ll be ready to play.?

Coach Billups finished his interview with RivalsHoops.com with even more praise for Ellis.

?I have coached some real good players in my time, and none are better than Monta. He is at the top of the list.?

Back