Knowledgable posters of the swacpage, I need your help

bornthrilla

Proud ***** of JSU
Right now I'm trying to compile a list of the top Running backs in Black college football and I've seemed to have hit a stumbling block.

So far, I can think of Dwight McKissic from UAPB, OJ Marchbanks from FAMU, Ali Culpepper from Morgan State, Travis Hailes from Hampton, and Jay Rogers from BCC.

Now who else could I be forgetting?:confused:

Do any of you football experts around here know of anyone else who should be included in this list? If so please do not hessitate to post it.

Thanks.

Although the numbers didn't support it, there were some decent running backs in the SWAC. However the strong defensive line play (A&M, GSU, and TxSU) were all tough against the run coupled with the effective qb play, made it difficult for rushers to put up huge numbers. UAPB was an exception, but they were one dimensional and couldn't pass. Corey Holmes of MSVU was a very good back and put up good numbers.

I can't speak for the others, but look for GSU's running game to be a significant contributor this season. Brad Hill has a full year's experience, Mike Young is steady, and Kendrick Shanklin brings a breakaway threat to the arsenal. Coaches are also high on sophomore fullback Jadaw Lawrence of Belaire High/Baton Rouge.

Too bad your boy Hicks doesn't play in the Big League...we could get a better guage of his skills.

I'm sorry MikeBigg, but all you swackos play sissy ball.

When you want to learn the real meaning of blue collar, smash mouth football just go to your local sportsbar and tune into an A&T contest. We should be on TV at least three time this year.

Hey doesn't JSU have some kind of star running back on their roster.

Surely not all they do is sit back and throw Hail Marys, right?

Bt
By the time you leave Hotlanta, you will be saying Tarnaka Couselour in your sleep. BTW, what are the spots in Greensboro. I will be down that way for football season, since I'm only 90 minutes away.

I havent been back in G'boro since 99, but check out that club on Bessemer Avenue. I forget the name. Also there are a few strip joints like Twiggy's and Southside Johnny's that come to mind. Stay away from Lost Dimension's....nothing but skanks.

I'll be in town with the BDF Sept 22 for the Elon game and Oct 13 for FAMU/Homecoming. If you are nearby hit me up.

Thrilla,

Bruh, you must don't realize where I'm from. I grew up in North Louisiana, the land of high school championships and SMASH MOUTH football. Up in that part of the country, Third and Six is a running down!

Doug will get the running game geared up this year. We have some backs that are gonna really do some things. Plus our offensive line has more experience and will dominate the line of scrimmage like we did against your MEAC champs (FAMU).

Be glad that yall will be spared going against GREATNESS...I really expect JSU will go through yall like Sherman went through ATLANTA!

BTW: What happened to Mclaurin. Wasn't he supposed to be the reincarnation of........oh well, nevermind. :(

MB, that's all well and good... but I need the name of top running backs, not a indepth history lesson on Louisiana prep football. :confused:

Now, who was this Hicks character you mentioned is an eariler post? What's the deal on him?

thrilla,

I hear tell that this Hicks fella is a decent RB on a scrub ass football team. I also hear he had seriously inflated numbers against some of the worst defenses in the country.

You might wanna add the Johnson fella at UAPB, too.

thrilla,

You may want to add Dave Banks out of Langston. I know its not Big League but the scouts are high on him.

BTW Your boy Hicks got nearly 50% of his yardage in two games against a SC State team with no stopping power in the middle and Hampton, where you ran away from Gregg Scott all day. I think we'll oblige you with more smash mouth than he can handle in Hotlanta.

Actually, Hicks ran over Greg Scott all day. I've got the game tape to prove it.

BTW: If he faced some of the "worst defenses in the country" last year, what the hell do you think he will encounter when he goes against JSU this November? The '85 Bears?

I thought we all agreed weeks ago that JSU had the worst front line in college football. Please tell me how the "swiss cheese commitee" can even hope to stop Mo Heisman from setting some kind of all-time rushing record.

thrilla,

Last year was last year. And against the "traditional run" where the QB handed off to a RB, JSU's defense had one poor game. Against UAPB. We ain't worried about some HICK!!! Oops, I mean Hicks.:D

What other running team did yall play last year besides UAPB? New Haven?

Dawg, I done asked TP, JST, and Get Ready to provide one plausible explanation on how JSU will be able to shut down our running game. So far, all the've done is changed the subject and tell me that Kent will score enough points where they won't have to stop us. :confused:

Is Kent your idea of a defense?

bt

Here you are again. But I digress.

I decline to answer your question because I know a loaded question when I hear one. No matter what I say, you are going to put some stupid spin on it. The fact is our defensive line has been corrected 100 fold from last year. And even with last years line, we still would have stopped Hicks. Our defensive line was poor against the pass, not the run.

But Im sure you will find a way to spin that. See you in The ATL. Itll be settled there.

Now, since we know about your one little man that you are depending on, tell me how you are going to stop

Kent
Counselour
McLaurin
Chris Jones
Lawerence "7" Story
TC Taylor
Michael Goss
Tim Manning
A Massive Offensive Line

Please respond here------->

GR, what's so loaded about "how will your scrub team be able to stop my running game?"

I know I have an above average IQ, but that seems pretty cut and dry to me. You of all people should know how silly it sounds to say your D-line is 100% improved one minute, but then go around and not even offer one legitmate reason for why. I'm sorry, but I thought you masqueraded as a sometimes-serious poster. Is getting just one bit of ample proof too much for me to ask?

BTW: To answer your other question, we will be able to stop Kent and company just like we stopped FAMU the last two years. It will probably even be easier since they have a much better running game than JSU.

If you haven't forgotten, we've had the No.1 pass defense in the BCF for the last two years. We have everybody in our entire secondary coming back plus an All-regional JUCO transfer named Ed Freeman and a DB named Eddie Ravenel, who just transfered from ECU. That means the number one pass defense in the BCF has just gotten better. I'm sure you will now try to bring up the Del State debacle, like you always do when you having nothing else to say, but if you look at our record that was the only time our secondary has been exploited in over two years.

Besides, Kent won't be able to throw the ball anyway, since our All-D1 front line will be all over him like ugly on Shabba Ranks.

Smart strategy...trying to cut me of and all...If Del State did it, we will double it. FAMUs passing game is different from ours. We dont do 5 yard dumps, we go downfield like Del St.

Are you sitll bragging about garbage ass transfers? You kill me man. When will you learn?

The difference between JSU and AT&T is that we recruit D1 players, we dont pray that some transfer will think so small of us that he can come to our school and start.

Take a look at this list

Counselour....first team all state, dandy dozen
McLaurin.....second team all state
Kent....nuff said
TC....Recruited by every college in the south
Goss...top 12 recruit in the state, dandy dozen
Manning....1st team all state...heavily recruited by SEC schools
Andrews...first team all state

I could go on and on. Im trying to show you that we dont hope and pray that some third stringer from some sorry ass white school will transfer to JSU. We recruit the best talent in the state.

That is the difference between me and you.

What part of "we have everybody in our secondary from last year coming back" didn't you understand.

At A&T we don't rely on D1 transfers to improve our team. He had the number one overall defense in the BCF the past two years without them. However, if we can attract some big named players from the D1 level who can make our team even that more dominate, we most certainly will use them.

BTW: Do you really want to compare recruiting lists with me? Let me know, before I go to the trouble of pulling out all 36 signees from this year.

Man look,

Im sure you dont want to go another round with me. I should have never replied to your nutt swinging Hicks slobbering posts anyway. Im sure you didint want me to respond either.

You never did tell me why Del St embarrassed your #1 defense, or do you want to just get passed that, just pretend it never happend. You also never explained why your team cant score a damn point on Elon, yet that sorry D2 team we played last year(New Haven) managed to score 40something on them.

Is your offense that damn remedial, or is AT&T just scared of white folks?

We aint goin nowhere, we aint going nowhere, we cant be stopped.

JSU 45
AT&T 10

FAMUs passing game is different from ours. We dont do 5 yard dumps, we go downfield like Del St.

...Took the words right out my mouth.

Thrilla,

We have a vertical passing game with big receivers (6'5", 6'4", 6'3"...). We don't operate using the "chuck and duck" with scat backs in the pass patterns. In other the words, we plan physically dominate your DBs, which should suit you just fine since you like smash-mouth football. ;)

GR,

You forgot to mention how poor Micheal Goss was personally recruited by Steve Spurrier before deciding to attend JSU. Poor fella. :( I guess Straw never reassured him that he could attend a PWC..... you know, with him being able to read and all. Now he has to split time with no less than 3 pro prospects in the receiving corps. Sometimes life ain't fair. :bawling:

HBCU

Did you even hear of AT&T before 2 years ago? I know I didnt.

AT&T is a nobody school, with a nobody team, in a nobody league. I cant wait til the ass whipping commences.

thrilla,

Why are you allowed to always mention UAPB game for JSU, but we can't mention Del. State for y'all. Y'all #1 pass defense ranking is about as bogus as the Oklahoma #1 pass defense used to be in the 80's when everybody in the Big 8 was running the wishbone and threw 2 passes a game. JSU is gonna light y'alls arses up. This ain't no dink and dunk show. And aside from last year, we usually have the best rushing offense as well. Check JSU rushing stats prior to last season.

Now this is a pretty good debate.........

Thrilla,

To answer your initial question, the two cats from UAPB are probably the only ones that would qualify for now based on past experience, but we'll have a couple of sleepers come mid-season if this topic ever comes up. (And AAMU shut their azzes DOWN !!)

But on the real, IMHO, there is no way in the world Mo would have gained the yardage he accumulated last year against a SWAC schedule. Not taking anything away from Mo, he's a great athlete and all, but it just wouldn't happen.

My Grandmomma could rush for 1000 yards against SC St, Norfolk St., Morgan State, NC Central and Howard....

Oh my bad...you lost ot Howard didnt you?

This is sad

Back