Kent keeps on ticking

bluphiiijsu

Creative Director
September 30, 2001

Kent keeps on ticking

Battered QB passes JSU past A&M
By Mark Alexander
Clarion-Ledger Staff Writer

NORMAL, Ala. ? Alabama A&M's blitz-happy defense gave the Southwestern Athletic Conference's most potent offense fits here Saturday night.

JSU quarterback Robert Kent has the bumps and bruises to prove it after being sacked six times and being popped countless other times. One of those hard licks knocked him out of the game for one play.

Kent kept getting up, however, and eventually made the Bulldogs pay. The sophomore sensation threw for 438 yards and four touchdowns as JSU eased past Alabama A&M 26-14 before a crowd of 8,759 at Louis Crews Stadium.

With the game tied 14-14 late in the third quarter, Kent connected with Tim Manning on a beautiful 52-yard touchdown pass. Then in the fourth, Kent hooked up with Robert Jacobs on a 59-yard scoring strike.

Game, set, match.

Kent earlier threw touchdown passes of 37 and 24 yards to T.C. Taylor and Lawrence Story, respectively. Taylor and Story combined for 14 catches, 219 yards and two touchdowns.

"He's (Kent) going to be sore tomorrow," JSU coach Robert Hughes said. "We had some breakdowns in our blocking. We had to make some adjustments, and once we did, that equaled to points. You just can't cover those guys all night."

One of those adjustments was leaving tight end Kendrick Travis in to block and sending only two and three receivers out at a time instead of four and five.

Kent's white jersey was covered with grass stains afterward. He strained to talk, and he looked weary. One by one fans came up to ask him if he was going to be OK.

"I'm shaken up, but I'm all right," Kent said. "I don't think I've ever been hit that many times before in my life. Their main objective was to get to me, and I must say they did. But we got out of here with a win."

That win looked in doubt in the first quarter. Alabama A&M took it to a sluggish JSU team, which was fortunate to be down only 7-0 at the end of the quarter. For the game, the Bulldogs reached JSU's 29, 25, 15, 25 and 9-yard lines and came away with no points.

"Whew!" Taylor said. "They were small, but they came at us hard."

It was 14-14 at halftime and stayed that way until Manning's go-ahead touchdown reception down the right sideline. Manning had replaced Story, who came out for a breather.

"It was just a go route, and I ran right by him," Manning said.

That was just one of many big plays given up by Alabama A&M, which missed a pair of field goals in the second half.

"You have to give their quarterback (Kent) a lot of credit. He hung in there," Alabama A&M coach Ron Cooper said.

For those of you still doubting, Robert Kent is the real deal. No other QB in the Swac could've taken the beating he took last night and still throw the strikes he threw. When he's done at JSU, there may be no records (SWAC or NCAA) left to break.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Kent did not play like a freshman last year. His poise in the pocket especially in last year's Gram-J-State game was impressive. But, McNair won a SWAC championship. Kent will never beat Gramlbling, therefore will never win a SWAC championship.

Kent did not play like a freshman last year. His poise in the pocket especially in last year's Gram-J-State game was impressive. But, McNair won a SWAC championship. Kent will never beat Grambling, therefore will never win a SWAC championship.

Kent did not play like a freshman last year. His poise in the pocket especially in last year's Gram-J-State game was impressive. His performances should rewrite the books. But, McNair won a SWAC championship. Kent will never beat Grambling, therefore will never win a SWAC championship.

I guess we can call him a "Timex" with the look of a Rolex.

He got his block knocked off but hung in there and got the job done. Congrats on four more touchdowns.

I have to give it up!

Originally posted by HBCUs
For those of you still doubting, Robert Kent is the real deal. No other QB in the Swac could've taken the beating he took last night and still throw the strikes he threw. When he's done at JSU, there may be no records (SWAC or NCAA) left to break.

Congrats on the win!

Timex is a dayum good name for him!

He is by far the most impressive qb I've seen in a few seasons now. Our defense tagged him pretty good, but he picked himself up and pressed on. He took a lickin' but he kept right on tickin'! Congratulations on the win, j-sue.

He truly kept his poise all night. He was cool, calm and collected. On the last TD pass he was lying flat on his back, and even the bulldogs who knocked his block off had to give him a hand up and he points to the sky and trots off the field. A Timex seems so appropriate after this game.

Back